I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

cine

Quote from: analogzombiethis week:
it was my birthday this week, seriously
Yeah, no shit. Great list indeed.

You Never Got Me Down Ray

Quoteit was my birthday this week, seriously

Hey, me too. Well Happy Birthday and nice buys.
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

Quote from: chuckhimselfo
Quote from: You Never Got Me Down Ray

All for a grand total of $12.75!  :wink:

where?

At my local rental store. They "sell" dvds for $1.
My life has taken another turn again. The days move along with regularity, over and over. One day indistinguishable from the next. A long, continuous chain. Then suddenly, there is change.

context, context, context.

abuck1220

I just got a surprise bonus today. Needless to say, I'll be heading down to dvd planet after work. Hmmm, save towards that DVX100 or waste it on dvds??

Pwaybloe

Hell yeah!  I just robbed somebody at gunpoint.  Got some quick cash.

Next stop?  You guessed it: the DVD store.

Quote from: PawbloeHell yeah!  I just robbed somebody at gunpoint.  Got some quick cash.

Next stop?  You guessed it: the DVD store.

Finally someone gets it.

I really need some kind of intervention here. Today I picked up

Anyone care to comment on Crash, Morvern Callar, Coup de Grace, Ruling Class or Wild strawberries? Thanks.

ono

Quote from: You Never Got Me Down RayAnyone care to comment on Crash
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=450&start=15
QuoteMorvern Callar
I wanted to see that so bad when it was at the local arthouse.  Couldn't get my lazy ass to go.  It sounded so good.  Who wouldn't want to watch a film about a girl who takes credit for her boyfriend's book after he kills himself?  I think it was godardian who mentioned he really liked it.  Could be misremembering things, though.
QuoteWild strawberries?
Wanted to see this for a while.  Winter Light was so boring, though, so that turned me off to the (real) Berg for a while.  I guess you really have to be in the mood for a movie like that.  Persona is where it's really at, though.  Doubt anything can top that.  Oh, and how could one forget The Seventh Seal?

Thanks Onomatopoeia. The only Bergman I have seen is The Seventh Seal, and I was thoroughly unimpressed by it. Wild Strawberries seems to be more to my liking, but I still feel I'll really need to be in the mood to appreciate it fully.

godardian

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
QuoteMorvern Callar
I wanted to see that so bad when it was at the local arthouse.  Couldn't get my lazy ass to go.  It sounded so good.  Who wouldn't want to watch a film about a girl who takes credit for her boyfriend's book after he kills himself?  I think it was godardian who mentioned he really liked it.  Could be misremembering things, though.

Nope, that was me. So cool Ray bought that one, too (the rest of his are excellent, as well- not a bad one in the bunch, except I haven't seen Crash  :oops: ).

You should really see Callar, Ono. In fact, I'd recommend of either of Lynne Ramsay's films- Ratcatcher and that one- to anyone here. They're very much in the Terence Malick/David Gordon Green mold, very visual.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: Onomatopoeia
QuoteMorvern Callar

Nope, that was me. So cool Ray bought that one, too (the rest of his are excellent, as well- not a bad one in the bunch, except I haven't seen Crash  :oops: ).

You should really see Callar, Ono. In fact, I'd recommend of either of Lynne Ramsay's films- Ratcatcher and that one- to anyone here. They're very much in the Terence Malick/David Gordon Green mold, very visual.

P.S. I loved The Ruling Class. Very Stanley Kubrick/Nic Roeg-y. Great seventies satire, the simultaneously subversive yet absurdly funny kind you can't really get anymore.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

Anyone care to comment on Crash, Morvern Callar, Coup de Grace, Ruling Class or Wild strawberries? Thanks.

....i have morvern callar....its really good except i wish the disk was encoded with english subtitles...b/c their thick accent is sometimes hard to decipher........oh yeah......and morton gets NAKED alot in this film........

......and i would like to see crash.......cronenbergh is the sh*t..reminds me of lynch alittle......bu ton that disk you have does it really contain both the R and NC-17 versions .........if so .......its kind of a waste of space......it should only be the NC-17 .....and use the other space for extras.....and sh*t.........

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

....i have morvern callar....its really good except i wish the disk was encoded with english subtitles...b/c their thick accent is sometimes hard to decipher........oh yeah......and morton gets NAKED alot in this film........

......and i would like to see crash.......cronenbergh is the sh*t..reminds me of lynch alittle......bu ton that disk you have does it really contain both the R and NC-17 versions .........if so .......its kind of a waste of space......it should only be the NC-17 .....and use the other space for extras.....and sh*t.........

Yes, I might have a hard time with those accents. Ratcatcher would have been near impossible for me without subtitles.

I assume it has both versions of Crash, but I'm not sure if it's encoded with both full versions or if they just pop in a few extra scenes for the unrated version. It's like storytelling where you pick which version and they are on the same side of the disc. I'm looking forward to this one.

Quote from: godardianNope, that was me. So cool Ray bought that one, too (the rest of his are excellent, as well- not a bad one in the bunch, except I haven't seen Crash  :oops: ).

P.S. I loved The Ruling Class. Very Stanley Kubrick/Nic Roeg-y. Great seventies satire, the simultaneously subversive yet absurdly funny kind you can't really get anymore.

I definitely agree about the Ramsey/Green Comparison, Ratcatcher very much reminded me of George Washington, and I love them both. And thanks for the mini Ruling Class review, just what I needed. It sounds fucking hilarious. Not too much "musical" though right?

Anyone seen Coup de Grace? :?: