Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Started by Satcho9, May 22, 2003, 03:45:19 PM

Ghostboy

One of my goals has long been to look that good when I'm forty.

Alethia

depp is fucking 40 years old????  holy shit..........

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Pozer

Quote from: budgieJohnny Depp is perfect, and will add the necessary other-worldliness with his supernatural beauty. There's a detachment about him that is perfect for Wonka, the same quality that Gene Wilder had, where you don't feel he's a threat to the kiddies but one of them in a parallel universe of unpolluted, sweet strangeness.

This is simply a perfect statement

MacGuffin

Johnny Depp Continues Talks for Chocolate
Source: Variety

Johnny Depp will be meeting for a third time with director Tim Burton for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Warner Bros. adaptation of the Roald Dahl classic in which he has been offered the role of Willy Wonka.

Depp and Burton, who previously made Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood together, came away from their meeting sparked to make the film and talks are expected to begin shortly. If everything goes ahead, the Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl star could be filming the movie next year.

The studio is eager to revive 1971's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, about a mysterious chocolate maker's attempt to find a worthy successor. Scott Frank wrote a draft of the script, followed by Gwyn Lurie, and Pamela Pettler was hired to write the latest version.

Pettler wrote The Corpse Bride, the Mike Johnson-directed stop-motion animation film for Warner Bros. about a man who inadvertently marries a corpse. Burton produces that film as well.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Hands down...I am all for Burton and Depp being invloved with this...but why touch the original is beyond me.

they are either gonna fuck this up big time, or make a pure madness "om pa om pa om piddity umm" piece that finally makes me realize that. yes, in fact, they might possibly be the best actor/ director pair of this time.  Either way, I am thinkin' if you were ever gonna a pick a moment to try drugs in your life...this might be an ideal situation.

IHeartPTA

Quote from: aclockworkjjHands down...I am all for Burton and Depp being invloved with this...but why touch the original is beyond me.

they are either gonna fuck this up big time, or make a pure madness "om pa om pa om piddity umm" piece that finally makes me realize that. yes, in fact, they might possibly be the best actor/ director pair of this time.  Either way, I am thinkin' if you were ever gonna a pick a moment to try drugs in your life...this might be an ideal situation.

i agree, as PTA said on remakes, "My feeling about remakes is: Just rip it off. Don't call it a remake. Don't bastardize it. Just give it another title. Isn't re-creating and rehashing and ripping off and riffing off patterns that have already been created part of what we do? So just make it your own and call it something else. Without trying to insult anyone, and unfortunately Gwyneth is in this movie, I'm not sure about the thinking behind remaking Dial M for Murder. Do they think they can do it better? On second thought, maybe all those Hitchcock movies can be done better. Yeah. He's overrated, that Hitch guy."
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

budgie

Quote from: meatballa detached, supernatural beauty about depp?

o, come on. i like the guy but... no.

that's like a tiny frog sitting beside a nipple.

beauty.eye.

And frogs and nipples have their places too. A nipple on a leaf, a frog against a creamy white (male) breast.

Quote from: IHeartPTAi agree, as PTA said on remakes, "My feeling about remakes is: Just rip it off. Don't call it a remake. Don't bastardize it. Just give it another title. Isn't re-creating and rehashing and ripping off and riffing off patterns that have already been created part of what we do?

Yes, Paul.

QuoteSo just make it your own and call it something else. Without trying to insult anyone, and unfortunately Gwyneth is in this movie, I'm not sure about the thinking behind remaking Dial M for Murder. Do they think they can do it better? On second thought, maybe all those Hitchcock movies can be done better. Yeah. He's overrated, that Hitch guy."

{sigh} It doesn't have to be about better, or ratings. Doesn't anyone but me, and Gus Van Sant, understand that?

Derek

I understand. I am a closet Psycho 98 fan.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: budgieJohnny Depp is perfect, and will add the necessary other-worldliness with his supernatural beauty. There's a detachment about him that is perfect for Wonka, the same quality that Gene Wilder had, where you don't feel he's a threat to the kiddies but one of them in a parallel universe of unpolluted, sweet strangeness.

I disagree. As a natural performer with accepted qualities of physical beauty, he comes off as an average man of good looks. For most of his performances of playing something different, he has to work hard in changing his appearance in every way to achieve something else. If Depp didn't make this a priority, I'd imagined he'd be written off as another good looking guy doing some movies.

With Walken, I don't think he comes off as too scary at all for the kids. With most of his movies and characters, sure, but in a movie like Catch Me If You Can, I didn't see it. Also with the Fatboy Slim video. I just think he's been pigeonholed as a type of character and his own life is now seen through that. As a natural performer given lines, I think Walken sums up an "other worldiness" way more than Depp could. I classify Depp in normal circumstance as "attractive man who speaks in a tone of keeping it cool". Personally, budgie, I think you are tickled pink by Depp and a lil bias. But your argument still stands and like old times, I disagree.

~rougerum

cine

Yeah I agree with GT and PTA. Depp wouldn't fit in a Wilder role. Wilder had a charm as Wonka that Depp can't match. So it's silly to do.. which leads me to PTA's quote. Just change it. Make it something fucked up that'll lead critics calling it "a dark Willy Wonka" or I dunno.. just not an obvious remake of the film. I probably won't go see it because I hate films being remade like that. Bad films, okay. Remake them; improve them. Classics like Willy Wonka (and Psycho) just shouldn't be touched.

Gold Trumpet

I'm not going to make any comment on the remake of Psycho and I encourage everyone else not to do so as well. To all those who were not born on XIXAX at the time to witness the multiple arguments (yes, multiple) that were so long and explained out, let it be known the members in those arguments (they know who they are) still carry scars from them. Its not worth it. I'd rather someone of Mac's talent ship it into a redirect so everyone can read it themselves if they choose to. At your local bookstore, you could likely buy it book form for $10 to $20. The amount of words in the arguments could have made one.

~rougerum

cine

My apologies. Seeing "I am a closet Psycho 98 fan." just forced me to make a small reference to it. Won't happen again...

Hopefully.....

budgie

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI'm not going to make any comment on the remake of Psycho and I encourage everyone else not to do so as well. To all those who were not born on XIXAX at the time to witness the multiple arguments (yes, multiple) that were so long and explained out, let it be known the members in those arguments (they know who they are) still carry scars from them. Its not worth it. I'd rather someone of Mac's talent ship it into a redirect so everyone can read it themselves if they choose to. At your local bookstore, you could likely buy it book form for $10 to $20. The amount of words in the arguments could have made one.

I didn't realize it was quite such a lacerating experience for you or I would have drawn more blood. Thoughts of your scars almost tickle me as much as Mr. Depp. Yes, of course I think he's a peach, but that is how it goes after all. Nothing to do with him being physical though, everything to do with his inbetweenness: sexual and yet not, ethereal and yet earthy, male and female, never one type. Super-natural.

I contemplate an article inspired by our Psycho conversations (your lunatic raving, my appreciation), it's that worthy. It was on tv here a short time ago and I have to say I love it. Cinephile, closet-lover, tell budgie.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.