Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Started by Satcho9, May 22, 2003, 03:45:19 PM

Redlum

It was fun but it doesn't beat the original thanks to Gene Wilder singing Pure Imagination and Charlie returning the chewing gum (was it?) at the end.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

matt35mm

Quote from: ®edlumCharlie returning the chewing gum (was it?) at the end.
Everlasting Gobstopper.

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

hedwig

RegularKarate

Ravi

hedwig

modage

Quote from: GaramThis film had an amazing cameo from both Kevin Eldon and Mark Heap. Highlight of the film for me.
when two people nobodies ever heard of are the highlight of your tim burton/johnny depp film, you KNOW something has gone awry.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This movie was all right.  The score is probably my least favorite of Elfman's (unless you count Oingo Boingo).  I liked how they got into Willy Wonka's life but...

SPOILERS

The ending seemed so forced.  It was like they shot the film, put it together and agreed that they should shoot a little more of Willy Wonka reconciling, and everything working out in the end.

I did laugh a few times throughout, but the one thing that sticks out in my mind was the 2001: A Space Odyssey reference.

When the song chimed in and they began carrying the chocolate bar so it looked like the monolith I was laughing really loudly, but other people in the theater were staring at me like they didn't get it.

Then when they showed the placement of the candy bar around the apes, so it was the monolith in 2001, I stopped laughing and realized a good joke had just been killed.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Ummm... yeah.

Pretty much agree with the concensus. Being a HUGE fan of the original (one of my favorite films of all time), I was not in favor of this remake, but decided to give it it's due. Without making comparisons to the original, here's my take on this version: The movie overall has no sense of fun. I didn't like how the kids were already prejudged just from seeing the way they won and that Wonka already knew about them. Charlie himself made me dislike him when he won the ticket and he wanted to sell it right away (I assume if he had a computer, he would have ebay'ed the ticket without telling his... ppppppppppparents). The kids and parents questioned him and his factory, when he's the world's leading chocolate maker. Why? He obviously knows what he's doing. It's probably because Wonka comes off as clueless. It's explained why Wonka is the way he is - childlike, but it made for the kids and the parents to be smarter than him. I could see how they percieved him as weird and would be easy to be picked on (much like Michael Jackson receives). The songs were too overproduced; you couldn't hear the lyrics, not that they were anything memorable or catchy (Where is the Elfman from the Nightmare/Christmas days?). Mike Teevee sums it up when he points out that everything was "pointless."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

I saw this in the theatre and enjoyed it, I didn't like it nearly as much this time around.  The Psycho/2001 references are obvious, but I felt the Wonka entrance to the children with his little machine reminded me of Rules of the Game, anyone else catch that?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

polkablues

I saw this movie in the theater with a group of people who loved it, which made me feel like a real dick when I had to tell them how bad it was.  I can't remember being more bored or annoyed by a movie in the last year.  The music was awful.  Just awful.

Burton used to have a real sensitive side, but there's been a serious cynical streak running through his last crop of movies ("Big Fish" being the exception that I thought would get him back on track).  This flick just continued that streak.  I got the sense that Burton not only doesn't care about any of these characters, he actively hates them.  And not just the "bad" kids.  Everyone in the movie is disdained by the filmmakers, and that disdain was transferred, as though through an I.V., to me in the audience.

My grade: D+ (the "+" is for the German kid with no eyebrows)
My house, my rules, my coffee