Fisher King?
Dr. Strangelove?
Citizen Kane?
Raging Bull?
Taxi Driver?
Sex, Lies and Videotape?
Annie Hall?
Ghostbusters?

I need a Laserdisc player...and these discs...I'm feeling very left out on these criterions...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

I hear the PF Criterion doesn't really have anything of value not on the current DVD.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RaviI hear the PF Criterion doesn't really have anything of value not on the current DVD.

It's the same content, yes.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: meatballImagine collecting the entire Criterion Collection.  :shock:

and having Salo (one of their worst produced discs) costing over $2000 easy.
one of the dudes on my episode of Ultimate Film Fanatic had it with him.   :shock:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Chest Rockwell

So Discreet Charm came in today. Pretty fast shipping for regular USPS (I ordered it Monday).

Gold Trumpet

Robert Bresson's Pickpocket coming soon? From a CCF post:

"I just got back from a lecture by Paul Schrader at the University of Iowa and, amongst showing us a short clip of his Exorcist: The Beginning and informing us that it will in fact get released (DVD or Film is uncertain at the moment), he informed us that he just got done "doing" an introduction for a Criterion Collection release of Bresson's Pickpocket! By "doing", I didn't know if he meant written or taped; nevertheless, it is quite exciting news."

To say the least, a highly anticipated release for the Criterion crowd. Also, there is word that the Criterion website has put Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein on the status of OOP. Just an early word. No confirmation yet from Criterion to why this has come about so it still may be a mistake, but OOP nonetheless.

samsong

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetRobert Bresson's Pickpocket

holy fucking shit.

anything on Au Hasard Balthazar?  anything?!

cine

Ah, I was waiting for samsong to cream his pants.

And now he has.

And I can die now.

samsong

Quote from: CinephileAnd I can die now.

you sure can, motherfucker.  when are you writing/saying something about 3-Iron?

cine

Quote from: samsong
Quote from: CinephileAnd I can die now.
you sure can, motherfucker.  when are you writing/saying something about 3-Iron?
The movie was just so great, it left me speechless.  :twisted:

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: samsong
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetRobert Bresson's Pickpocket

holy fucking shit.

anything on Au Hasard Balthazar?  anything?!

Au Hasard Balthazar is coming very very soon. Likely next year of course with the limited window left in 2004, but most people call that film one of the most likely films to be announced soon, maybe well before Pickpocket. Its just with the Pickpocket news here comes an actual word production on it is moving and it should also be out soon.

Gold Trumpet

Is Dazed and Confused coming to the Criterion Collection? Here's a very interesting and exciting email by Richard Linklater to cast member Wiley Wiggin's who put it on his blog:

Hi Wiley,

Just to let you know - there has been some trouble with Universal regarding their upcoming release of the DAZED AND CONFUSED DVD. I feel like I'm in an 11-year echo chamber with these idiots. There was a cool disk in the works with extended interviews, Kahane Corn's documentary MAKING DAZED, footage from the reunion, etc. but it turns out that these won't be on it any longer because, after all these years, they're rushing the title out to make some sort of deadline. Because of this I will not be doing a commentary or helping with anything else.

I wanted everybody to know the scoop and that I am pushing Universal to license the title to the Criterion Collection in a year or so and they would put out a fantastic disk.

I am withholding doing any press on the Universal disk and will not be affiliated with it in any way because of their continuing lameness toward this title.

Hope all's well in your world. Take care,

Rick

Courtesy of: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1471

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet3.) Distinct Possibilities: (Titles that haven't been fully confirmed yet (but have either been mentioned by Criterion or linked to Criterion by other events/companies))

BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (1970, Meyer)

On this week's Ebert & Roeper, in his Meyer tribute, Ebert mentioned that he recorded a commentary track for the Criterion release due some time next year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks