Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

mogwai

i'm definitely buying secret honor.

cine

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetFAT GIRL: http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=259
Hey, that movie was banned in Ontario! I'm buyin' it.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: mogwaii'm definitely buying secret honor.
Me too. Finally, the film that PTA has been raving about because of Philip Baker Hall, is getting the criterion treatment.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Vivian Darkbloom

SECRET HONOR !!!

And most of all : TANNER 88 !!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy. Being a huge altman fan I was tracking the laserdisc editions of this great miniseries. So far I just managed to purchase volume 1 with the first 3 episodes. Although I'm not american and not really aware of what happened during the 88' elections I was really drawn into it. Great characters and great story. A true Altman movie. A long one indeed but he said on many occcasions this was one of his favourite works. Actually he was planning to do another one during the next elections but never was actually able to do so. I would have loved to see Tanner 2004... Now if Criterion could just get the rights to Breswter Mc Cloud or even if MGM rehashed their old laserdisc transfer i'd be the happiest man (well not really but a lot happier anyway).

Finn

Secret Honor?!

It's a great film! It'll be even better on dvd!  :-D
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Gold Trumpet

Looks like the premiere Altman film missing from dvd may be actually coming out through Criterion.........

(From a post at CC Forum)

"I saw Michael Wilmington (Chicago Tribune film critic) today and mentioned to him that I'd seen that his essays were gonna be on the new Criterion Altman discs, Tanner '88 and Secret Honor. He told me that they used three of his writings for three discs, those two and one for Short Cuts. He kind of said it quickly and under his breath, like he wasn't supposed to say anything, but then again, he didn't know that Tanner and Secret Honor had been announced yet."

This does make sense. Over the past 2 years, Criterion has been licensing commentaries and other extras to New Line for various dvds that came from Criterion's laser discs and so far, nothing in return has come Criterion's way. So, considering that many people have expected something like this and Altman is a big fan of Criterion's promise to excellence, I believe in this rumor.

Just Withnail

So you're saying, in the course of two days, we get rumblings of PTA writing again and a Short Cuts Criterion? I feel like laughing a lot.

cine

Quote from: ...& ISo you're saying, in the course of two days, we get rumblings of PTA writing again and a Short Cuts Criterion? I feel like laughing a lot.
Why? Because the inevitable/obvious is happening?

Just Withnail

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: ...& ISo you're saying, in the course of two days, we get rumblings of PTA writing again and a Short Cuts Criterion? I feel like laughing a lot.
Why? Because the inevitable/obvious is happening?

Yes, because it's finally happening.

Pedro

where's the pta writing again?

Alethia

in the pta forum under the thread entitled: fact...or fiction

Gold Trumpet

Does Criterion own the films Hoop Dreams, Mike Leigh's Naked and An Angel at My Table? This post at another forum seems to say...... http://www.wehateyouandyourhorrendoustasteineverything.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=323

Here is the interesting extract:

"I did learn about several titles that seemed to be in R1 limbo. Mr. Deutchman, who is a big part of FIne Line, and the only truly direct and honest of the speakers, had made a deal with Criterion many years ago and they were the ones who would be putting out the DVDs for Hoop Dreams, An Angel at My Table, one other title, and one of my favorites, Mike Leigh's Naked."

Later in the thread, the author of the post also mentions Short Cuts being part of that deal and that he forgot to mention it. Now, Short Cuts already seems to have been verified as forthcoming, but with these 3 titles, very high demand films for the Criterion crowd, it seems odd that Criterion would have purchased them years ago and not released them yet. Thing is, though, Criterion may own the rights to distribute these films on dvd but not the source materials which would interfere in them making a new digital transfer and so slow down the process of releasing any of these films til they got the rights they needed. In any even, even if the news is somewhat questionable to me, its optimistic nonetheless.

A Matter Of Chance

What about Jules and Jim? Is criterion still doing that?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceWhat about Jules and Jim? Is criterion still doing that?

Likely in 2005. It has been confirmed that Criterion will release more Truffaut in 2005 and Jules and Jim is on top of of the short list of films they plan to release by him.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: A Matter Of ChanceWhat about Jules and Jim? Is criterion still doing that?

Likely in 2005. It has been confirmed that Criterion will release more Truffaut in 2005 and Jules and Jim is on top of of the short list of films they plan to release by him.

nice, thanks