Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

SHAFTR

Not entirely the right thread, but i've always wanted to see Arthur Penn's "Mickey One" and I'm pretty sure it isn't on DVD.  That would seem like a film that would make sense on Criterion, given it's influence.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: samsongfrom dvdbeaver:

November Criterions

Ugetsu Monogatori (Mizoguchi, 1953)
Ran (Kurasawa, 1985)
Tales of Hoffman (Powell & Pressburger, 1951)
and possibly Pickpocket (Bresson, 1959)

what's this "possibly" business?!
yay for mizoguchi... hopefully The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums will be released not too far after Ugetsu.

My christmas list. Yay for Criterion!

cine

Pubrick

Quote from: Cinephile

a good time to be gay and japanese!
under the paving stones.

edison

From the newsletter:

"Louis Malle's Murmur of the Heart, Lacombe Lucien, and Au revoir les enfants coming in early 2006."

Gold Trumpet

Also, according to CCforum, Clement's Forbidden Games and Truffaut's Shoot the Piano Player are the titles to drop in December. Same policy as last year with just two titles for the entire month.

analogzombie

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetDecember. Same policy as last year with just two titles for the entire month.

good, I can catch up from the past few months.

I wonder if their decision to release only a couple in december is related to the fact that, that's when a lot of the prestiege Oscar contenders are released. I mean, there will actually be films in theaters competing for the the Criterion obsessive's dollars.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: analogzombieI wonder if their decision to release only a couple in december is related to the fact that, that's when a lot of the prestiege Oscar contenders are released. I mean, there will actually be films in theaters competing for the the Criterion obsessive's dollars.

Criterion says it is to give the producers vacation time.

Gold Trumpet

Catching up with the latest. Every now and then, events all around the country highlight films likely to be part of the Criterion fold sooner or later. These are some films showing around the country in special engagements waving the Criterion banner, plus a special honoring of certain members of Criterion at Telluride.

Barbara Kopple presents
HARLAN COUNTY, USA
Tues., Oct. 11 at 7:00
NEW RESTORED PRINT
Barbara Kopple. 1976. 103 min. PG. US. Criterion/Janus.
Acclaimed filmmaker Barbara Kopple is best known for her brilliant documentaries on tough subjects from labor disputes to the assassination of a president. She won her first Academy Award in 1977 for Harlan County, U.S.A., and became the only female documentary filmmaker ever to have won two Oscars when a second came in 1991 for American Dream, which explored the human cost of the economic decline of America's industrial heartland.

Harlan County, U.S.A. is on everyone's list of greatest documentaries ever made - a tight, taut, timeless story of union strife in a Kentucky coal-mining town. Full of dramatic confrontations, labor songs and bluegrass music, violence, surprise, and a hard-won wisdom born of struggle, this magnificent, vastly influential film was named to the National Film Registry by Congress and designated an American Film Classic.
Q&A with filmmaker Barbara Kopple & New York Times critic Janet Maslin

MIRACLE IN MILAN, 1951, Criterion/Janus, 92 min. Director Vittorio de Sica fable-like classic describes the chaotic postwar Italian society with an ironic and satirical approach. Little Toto is found in a cabbage patch by Lolotta and raised to become a socially devoted young man dedicated to the improvement of health and wealth among the poor in Milan. The film offers a very clear message, but the bizarre and imaginative structure of the film (at one point, the poor townspeople fly on the brooms of street-cleaners to a better land!) stunned the critics and the public. "Radiates a strong and fascinating aura of bitter-sweet humor..." – New York Herald Tribune. Written by de Sica and Cesare Zavattini, from Zavattini's novel Toto Il Buono. Starring Francesco Golisano, Emma Gramatica, Guglielmo Barnabo, Paolo Stoppa, Brunella Bovo.

plus, courtesy of a post at CCForum.....

"Criterion is putting in an appearance at Telluride. Besides the fact that the Beckers and Turell will be receiving a "special medallion," the program guide refers to Spirit of the Beehive as "a Criterion/Janus" film. Rialto's new print of Army of Shadows will also be shown for the first time."

samsong

cover art for pickpocket and shoot the piano player

lazy but fine

wtf

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

WHAT!?!?!

Shoot The Piano Player has just received one of the worst Criterion covers ever.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: samsongcover art for pickpocket and shoot the piano player
haha it's like sumone at the criterion office just discovered pictionary.

"hey, how bout for pickpocket we hav sum dude's pocket being picked!"
"that's pictorrific!"
"oooh man i'm on fire here, how bout for shoot the piano player we have a dude playing piano -- WAIT BUT NO PIANO, cos that might confuse ppl into thinking we want to shoot the PIANO itself -- and then put a target on him like he's gonna be shot!"
"dude, we're so fucking abstract.."
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: WalrusWHAT!?!?!

Shoot The Piano Player has just received one of the worst Criterion covers ever.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cowboykurtis

Quote from: WalrusOh shit, that one's much cooler.

how the hell is it cooler? its the same fucking image
...your excuses are your own...