Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl

Started by SHAFTR, February 04, 2003, 12:27:25 PM

Ghostboy

That's a really fantastic best-of list he put together...excellent taste, he has.

Raikus

Production Budgets:
Clerks - $27,000
Mallrats - $6,100,000
Chasing Amy - $250,000
Dogma - $10,000,000
J&SBSB - $20,000,000

I'd say on average, he's probably one of the lowest budget film directors out there (with the exception of independent filmmakers like Linklaker and Waters). And I think he's one of the most cost-conscious out there as well. Although you could say the lower the budget, the better the film.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Gold Trumpet

Well, to argue you back Raikus, many of us believe giving $20 to Kevin Smith may be of serious consequence because the money likely will be wasted. It's not like this guy is a writer writing a column in a newspaper and that took pencial and paper to write at minumim and my time of 2 to 3 minutes to read and reject. He is now spending millions and costing me 2 hours of my life with each movie. If he doesn't realize the business of modern man and a more intense pressure to impress, then life is too short to waste on watching his movies. Give the money to someone else who can do something better with it.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Remember, a budget also includes actors' inflated salaries.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

I used to be such a HUGE Kevin Smith fan. I had a buttload more in common with him than I did with Paul Thomas Anderson, movie taste and all. I used to completely agree with everything he said about boogie nights and magnolia. i loved every movie the guy did, including jay and silent bob. but after that movie, i somehow shifted into more of a PTA person. remember the deleted scene in pulp fiction (i know you all do) where uma's like "you're a beatles man or an elvis man. you can like both, but you can't like them equally. there's one you always like more." something like that. I believe the same holds true with PT and KS.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Raikus

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWell, to argue you back Raikus, many of us believe giving $20 to Kevin Smith may be of serious consequence because the money likely will be wasted. It's not like this guy is a writer writing a column in a newspaper and that took pencial and paper to write at minumim and my time of 2 to 3 minutes to read and reject. He is now spending millions and costing me 2 hours of my life with each movie. If he doesn't realize the business of modern man and a more intense pressure to impress, then life is too short to waste on watching his movies. Give the money to someone else who can do something better with it.

~rougerum

You're basing this off your distaste for his movies. What you forget is that he has plenty fans of his movies, myself included. And while I'm not going to sit here and defend point by point why I think (some) of his movies are good, while you counter my points with your points, let me say that you are wrong when you state he misappropriates the funds given. Every film he's made has made the money back in box office and DVD sales. That's not considered minor success in the hollywood money machine. That's nearly considered a sure bet.

And while your watching of Smith's films may produce migranes, I find some of his movies, specifically Chasing Amy and Clerks, to be some of the most enjoyable repeat viewings out there.

And who's forcing you to watch them in the first place? Just say no, man. But for every point, there is a counterpoint. I'd much rather see money go to Smith to produce 5 movies than to see that same amount go towards putting The Core out into the world.

At least we can both agree Made was an extreme disappointment.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: RaikusEvery film he's made has made the money back in box office and DVD sales. That's not considered minor success in the hollywood money machine. That's nearly considered a sure bet.

Yup.  Kevin Smith makes movies for his fans.  Unfortunately, I'm not a fan, so his movies aren't for me.  But, he does have a huge fanbase.  Way more than PTA.  

Raikus is right that Kevin Smith makes back on every film he makes.  I would have to guess, on average, he has a much larger gross profit margin than PTA does.  If I was a producer, I would sign him in a heartbeat.

modage

sorry Kevin Smithers, but according to Dark Horizons...

Both Kevin Smith's "Jersey Girl" and Eddie Griffin comedy "My Baby's Mama" have both been pushed back to 2004.

but on the plus side, you can still get your BfleckJlo fix with....
"Gigli" has moved up to Wednesday July 30th
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

ya, it looks like Jersey Girl will get a February release.

It was orginally was slated for November, but it ended up being the same day as Matrix Revolutions release, so the date was changed.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

wouldnt that have been smart counter-programming?  having jersey girl and the matrix open together was like opening down with love with the matrix.   different audiences. although down with love did bomb....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

Quote from: themodernage02Both Kevin Smith's "Jersey Girl" and Eddie Griffin comedy "My Baby's Mama" have both been pushed back to 2004.
Jesus!

Do you know how long I've been waiting for My Baby's Mama?!

Raikus

So... does that make it your baby?

modage

Kevin Smith Confident for Ben and Jen Success
Source: imdb.com

Jersey Girl director Kevin Smith is convinced the appalling reviews for Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck's new film Gigli won't affect box office sales for his upcoming venture. Real life couple and Jersey Girl stars Ben and Jen have watched as reviewer after reviewer have slammed Gigli for bad performances and poor plot - but Smith does not think the same can be said of his production. Speaking on his View Askew website, Smith says, "As far as all this worrying about what this weekend's Gigli reception means for Jersey Girl - don't waste your energy. We're gonna be fine. Apples and oranges. Shit, apples and blowjobs, really. No further prognostication necessary. I know it's a hot topic this weekend for obvious reasons, but lest we have to endure all this nail-biting speculation for the next eight months, let's curb it now. Whatever's gonna happen's gonna happen. If it's any consolation, I'm not sweating it." Smith says the reaction of test audiences to Jersey Girl has more than cemented his faith in the film. He explains, "I've seen Jersey Girl with audiences. I know all the stuff regarding the release plans for the flick that we don't talk about here. And while I'm sorry that Gigli didn't do better this weekend, its critical reaction and box office take won't have the slightest effect on Jersey Girl. Take my word for it."

AK

FIRSTKevin Smith used to be a good writer (good dialogues and characters) but since chasing Amy things are getting worse...

SECONDKevin Smith got no skills as a director.... put two people talking and just turn on the camera doesnt make u a filmmaker

(i could have the tape of clerks and just listen and i'd  still have fun as well)

SHAFTR

Quote from: AKFIRSTKevin Smith used to be a good writer (good dialogues and characters) but since chasing Amy things are getting worse...

SECONDKevin Smith got no skills as a director.... put two people talking and just turn on the camera doesnt make u a filmmaker

(i could have the tape of clerks and just listen and i'd  still have fun as well)

I don't think he has ever claimed to be a filmmaker...in the art sense of the word...more just a guy who writes and directs movies.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"