Super Size Me

Started by MacGuffin, April 19, 2004, 03:57:22 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: May 7, 2004 (limited)

Starring: Morgan Spurlock, Dr. Daryl Isaacs, M.D., Dr. Lisa Ganjhu, D.O., Dr. Stephen Siegel, M.D., Bridget Bennett, MS, RD

Director: Morgan Spurlock

Plot Summary: Why are Americans so fat? Find out in "Super Size Me," a tongue in-cheek - and burger in hand -- look at the legal, financial and physical costs of America's hunger for fast food. Ominously, 37% of American children and adolescents are carrying too much fat and 2 out of every three adults are overweight or obese. Is it our fault for lacking self-control, or are the fast-food corporations to blame? Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock hit the road and interviewed experts in 20 U.S. cities, including Houston, the "Fattest City" in America. From Surgeon Generals to gym teachers, cooks to kids, lawmakers to legislators, these authorities shared their research, opinions and "gut feelings" on our ever-expanding girth. During the journey, Spurlock also put his own body on the line, living on nothing but McDonald's for an entire month with three simple rules: 1) No options: he could only eat what was available over the counter (water included!); 2) No supersizing unless offered; 3) No excuses: he had to eat every item on the menu at least once. It all adds up to a fat food bill, harrowing visits to the doctor, and compelling viewing for anyone who's ever wondered if man could live on fast food alone. The film explores the horror of school lunch programs, declining health and physical education classes, food addictions and the extreme measures people take to lose weight and regain their health. "Super Size Me" is a satirical jab in the stomach, overstuffed with fat and facts about the billion-dollar industry besieged by doctors, lawyers and nutritionists alike. "Would you like fries with that?" will never sound the same!

http://www.supersizeme.com/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I read about this guy... pretty smart thing to do...

Raikus

McDonald's CEO Dies of Heart Attack

CHICAGO (Reuters) - McDonald's Corp. (MCD.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Chairman and Chief Executive Jim Cantalupo died of an apparent heart attack on Monday at the age of 60, the company said.

He was attending the company's owner/operator meeting in Orlando, Florida, it said.

The world's largest restaurant chain could not immediately say who was taking over Cantalupo's responsibilities. "We're focusing on Mr. Cantalupo and his family," McDonald's spokeswoman Anna Rozenich, said.

Cantalupo, a former vice chairman and president of the company, was brought back to lead McDonald's in January 2003 when the company was struggling to cope with falling profit in a saturated hamburger market, outbreaks of mad cow disease and poor service.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

Quote from: In his SXSW thread, RegularKarate
SuperSize Me:

This is another one that's getting a lot of buzz.  A lot of people are talking about this in the media because McDonalds is getting rid of thier supersize option (though they claim it has nothing to do with the film).  This film is both funny and interesting.  It's also kind of scary and gross.  They effects of eating nothing but McDonalds for every meal for a month blew three different doctor's minds.  

I hope this gets at least some kind of distribution because it's a great film.  My only complaint was that the filmmaker dedicated too much screen time to his vegan-chef girlfriend who was annoying and offered almost nothing to the film.

Also, this lady (who's obviously stupid or working for McDonalds) has started making a "film" that responds to this... it looks horrible.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Raikusa saturated hamburger market
That's pretty funny.

indiana

wow. super good movie!
peace
SONIC BOOM!

MrBurgerKing

It's about time someone made a film to show the world the true disease of McDonalds, I hate even thinking about that place. There's one of 'em every few miles forever. If Mc had their way they'd cover the moon with a Mc-ad for everyone to see. McDonalds must be stopped, which one of you will join me to put it out of its misery? I think a gun to your head is the only way to rid your life of McD's, unless they strike a deal with Satan to serve Big Macs at hell's barbecue. At least in hell, Jim Cantalupo can get a taste of his own medicine.

Ravi

QuoteDuring the journey, Spurlock also put his own body on the line, living on nothing but McDonald's for an entire month with three simple rules: 1) No options: he could only eat what was available over the counter (water included!); 2) No supersizing unless offered; 3) No excuses: he had to eat every item on the menu at least once.

If you eat pretty much anything repeatedly 3 times a week for an entire month you would not be in good health.  I wonder how many people really eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at fast fod restaurants.  I think most people will do it for one meal a day if they do it everyday, but I don't know about 3.  This technique seems way too extreme.

El Duderino

i usually go to fast food places for lunch. i will eventually die of obescity (spelling?)
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Ghostboy

Man, this movie made me consistently nauseous throughout its entire running time. It's terrific!

The guy at the ticket counter told me I'd never eat fast food again after seeing it. I told him I was vegan and I didn't eat fast food, so he said I could look forward to basking in the superiority complex the movie would provide.

It didn't necessarily do that, but it made me really, really glad I made that choice when I made it. It also made me feel that my worries about my weight and health are rather petty.

The theater was packed for an early morning show. I've got a feeling this'll make a lot of money, for a documentary.

Oh, and El Duderino...he mentions in the documentary that Americans are not only the fattest people in the world, but also the stupidest :wink: (its spelled obesity).

mutinyco

Hell, I get "super size me" e-mails every day...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

adolfwolfli

Quote from: Ravi
QuoteIf you eat pretty much anything repeatedly 3 times a week for an entire month you would not be in good health.  I wonder how many people really eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at fast fod restaurants.  I think most people will do it for one meal a day if they do it everyday, but I don't know about 3.  This technique seems way too extreme.

I saw the film on the day of its NY premiere, and Morgan Spurlock was in attendance to answer questions after the movie.  His eating McDonald's 3 times a day is in essence a gimmick used to sell the movie, but I found the most fascinating and informative parts of the film to be the investigative segments dealing the with manufacture and marketing of fast food, the American High School lunch system, and the statistics dealing with obesity in America.

True, nobody *really* eats fast food 3 times a day, every day, but the definition of "fast food" is becoming blurred in a food industry that relies heavily on preservatives, flavoring chemicals, and other unhealthy additives and processes in its products.  

The reality is that Americans are the fattest people in the world, statistically, and so they must be eating *something* to make them that obese.  Obesity deaths, if they continue to rise at the current rate, will soon overcome cigarette smoking as the #1 cause of unnatural death in the U.S.  

I was also horrified by Spurlocks investigation into High School lunches - he visits a high school that is heavily sponsored by soft drink and snack food companies (an increasing trend in U.S. schools) and obtains footage of children consuming nothing but soda, pizza, dong-dongs, candy and fast food for lunch.

Spurlock uncovers evidence that specifically links attention deficit disorders, violence, and general unruliness in children with poor diet.  

All in all, I found the movie to be quite revolutionary and mind-blowing...

Ravi

Quote from: adolfwolfli
I was also horrified by Spurlocks investigation into High School lunches - he visits a high school that is heavily sponsored by soft drink and snack food companies (an increasing trend in U.S. schools) and obtains footage of children consuming nothing but soda, pizza, dong-dongs, candy and fast food for lunch.

At my middle school and high school we had a Domino's and Taco Bell line, a line with some school food (I forget what), and another line that served burgers and fries everyday.  Dr. Pepper also gave our district a ton of money.  I knew people who ate fries for lunch everyday.  I don't know about my senior high school, since I never ate lunch there.

We know that the Coca Cola High Schools of the country won't be showing this in health class.

pete

the whole movie reminded me of that norm macdonald joke:
Well a study this week reports seafood is good for you unless it is fried. Yet another groundbreaking story from the pages of the medical journal DUH!.

I guess he went into it knowing that, but throughout the film, there was never an argument cogent enough to support the the need for the "experiment."  it was merely jumping on America's favorite reality bandwagon, but also with a little primetime "journalistic questioning" for good measures.  I mean, throughout the film, the only real authoritative "experts" he spoke to were like the same four great people who are already sueing the macdonalds.  plus, there was just a lot of plain spite for fat people that just wasn't necessary.
it kept on attention for the time being though, the quick cuts and the animated sequences are funny.

hipster filmmakers suck.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

El Duderino

Super Size Me gets downsized by MTV
Source: Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Film documentary "Super Size Me," a critical look at the health impact of a fast-food only diet, has been downsized at cable network MTV which has refused to air advertisements for the film, its distributors said on Wednesday.

Roadside Attractions and Samuel Goldwyn Films said in a statement the cable TV channel targeted to young audiences has told them the ads are "disparaging to fast food restaurants."

The distributors said MTV sister network VH1 was planning to use clips from the movie in a program called "Best Week Ever," but the clips were pulled before the show aired.

An MTV spokeswoman was not immediately available to comment. MTV and VH1 are owned by media giant Viacom Inc, which depends on advertising for a major portion of revenues.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?