The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King

Started by modage, June 30, 2003, 12:10:57 PM

The Perineum Falcon

So who's up for a long, 9 1/2 hr marathon viewing of LotR?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Just Withnail

Quote from: ranemaka13So who's up for a long, 9 1/2 hr marathon viewing of LotR?

9? More like 11  :-D

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Withnail
Quote from: ranemaka13So who's up for a long, 9 1/2 hr marathon viewing of LotR?

9? More like 11  :-D
I was referring to the Theatrical cuts. I thought about the extended, and I think it's closer to 12 hrs.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Just Withnail

The more the merrier :) Looking forward to spending a whole day in Middle-Earth come November.

MacGuffin

Return of the King Extended Edition DVD in December
Source: Video Business

Video Business reports that New Line Home Entertainment will release the extended edition DVD of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King in December.

That falls outside of the holiday shopping primetime of mid-November--when the past two extended versions of the series, "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers," hit stores.

Still, the switch is not expected to hurt sales. Consumers have been aware for months about an upcoming extended take on "Return of the King," given the releases of ones for "Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers".

The trade adds that the extended edition took longer to produce because cast members, now filming new projects, had to be rounded up from all over to complete their commentaries.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: WithnailThe more the merrier :) Looking forward to spending a whole day in Middle-Earth come November.

There should be a contest to see who can watch all the extended cuts, commentaries, and extras in the shortest amount of time.  Sponsored by Red Bull.

Redlum

Here's a link for a video that somehow got in&out of Comi-Con, showing the trailer for the extended cut:

http://elflady.com/legolasgreenleaf/multimedia/lotrclips.htm#rotk
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

mogwai

Quote from: thedigitalbits.comMany of you have been asking us when New Line is FINALLY going to officially announce The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Special Extended DVD Edition. The answer is soon - probably in the next few weeks. A number of retail sources now are telling us to expect a 12/14 street date. We'll confirm that as soon as we can.

MacGuffin

New Line has confirmed that the four-disc extended edition of Return of the King will arrive on the 14th December. The set will include around fifty-minutes of additional footage, including the highly anticipated confrontation with Saruman. Stacks of extra material will also be featured, including cast and crew audio commentaries and multiple behind the scenes documentaries and featurettes. The SRP will be around $39.99. Also arriving on the 14th will be a collector's giftset which includes the aforementioned four-disc extended edition, along with a Sideshow/Weta statue of Minas Tirith and a Howard Shore Creating the Lord of the Rings Symphony DVD. The retail price for this will be set at around $79.92.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

New Line has just finally, officially announced the DVD release of the 4-disc The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Special Extended DVD Edition. As we expected, the DVD will street on 12/14, featuring a 250 minute version of the film with over 50 minutes of new footage and scenes. The film will be presented in anamorphic widescreen video (2.35:1) with audio in both Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS 6.1 ES surround sound. The film will be presented on Discs One & Two, complete with four newly-recorded audio commentaries by the director and writers, the design team, the production team and the cast. These will feature more than 30 participants (including Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom, Richard Taylor, Howard Shore and many more). The cast commentary will also feature a dialogue between split-personality characters Gollum and Smeagol (Andy Serkis).

Discs Three & Four (The Appendices) will include the usual in-depth documentaries and other features. Disc Three (The War of the Ring) will include a video introduction by Peter Jackson, the final part of the J.R.R. Tolkien: The Legacy of Middle-earth documentary, the From Book to Script: Forging the Final Chapter documentary, an abandoned concept featurette: Aragorn Battles Sauron, the final parts of the Designing Middle-earth, Big-atures, Weta Workshop and Costume Design documentaries, design galleries with more than 2,100 images (divided into The Peoples of Middle-earth, The Realms of Middle-earth and Miniatures), the Home of the Horse Lords documentary, and more interactive Middle-earth Atlas: Tracing the Journeys of the Fellowship and New Zealand as Middle-earth interactive maps (with production footage).

Disc Four (The Passing of an Age) will include a video introduction by Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan, the final part of the Cameras in Middle-earth documentary on the making of the film, a production photo gallery with more than 60 images, the last part of the Weta Digital visual effects documentary, a multi-angle The Mumakil Battle interactive demonstration, the Editorial: Completing the Trilogy, Music for Middle-earth, The Soundscapes of Middle-earth and The End of All Things documentaries, The Passing of an Age documentary, the Cameron Duncan: The Inspiration for Into the West documentary, the DFK6498 and Strike Zone short films and finally the usual DVD-ROM content on all discs.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Lord of the Rings' Gollum Gets Health Check

Gollum, the creepy character in "Lord of the Rings" with the dual personality and eerie voice, suffered from a schizoid personality disorder, according to a group of medical students.

Thirty students at University College London were asked to explain the odd behavior the character displayed in the films based on the J.R.R. Tolkien trilogy.

The students noted his solitary habits, spiteful behavior, odd interests, difficulty in forming friendships, emotional changeability, nervousness and paranoia.

"He fulfils seven of the nine criteria for schizoid personality disorder, and, if we must label Gollum's problems, we believe this is the most likely diagnosis," Dr Elizabeth Sampson, who headed the research team, said in the British Medical Journal on Friday.

His two personalities -- Gollum and Smeagol -- convinced some students it was a case of schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder.

But schizophrenia was ruled out because delusions were not in keeping with Gollum's culture. The interaction between the two personalities shows Gollum is aware of both Smeagol and Gollum at the same time, which is inconsistent with multiple personality disorder, in which one is usually suppressed.

His bulging eyes and weight loss also suggests a thyroid problem, they added.

Skeleton FilmWorks

analogzombie

I thought the Extended Cut fixed all the problems and issues I found in the theatrical release. For example: the climax of the EE feels like the destruction the ring. Watching the Theatrical Cut it felt to me that the victory at Minas Tirith was the climax, even though I knew the plot focus was on the ring. All in all every shot, except the drinking game, was an improvement over the theatrical version.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."