The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King

Started by modage, June 30, 2003, 12:10:57 PM

mogwai

Quote from: ©bradum, why is this exactly?
it's always sold out... :roll:

©brad

just caught a second viewing of this one, and i must say i enjoyed it even more. the multiple endings flowed much better. i am 100% that they are all necessary and wonderful now. i think once you expect them it's not as, um..., well it doesn't feel as drawn out. it really felt like an hour and a half movie to me, and i teared up much more this time.

so, mac, mogs, p, and whoever else hasn't seen it yet...GOOOOOOOO!

indiana

alll i have to stay is that ending to lord of the rings: return of the king, was too long.  but it was still a good ending anyways.

peace
SONIC BOOM!

Sanjuro

i finally saw... sorry but i just have to let out. i am not a big fan of lotr and i expected a lot from this film coz of what everyone was saying and how good the critics were saying it was and also coz i was hoping taht this would be the best of the trilogy at least.

i was disappointed though.  i think some people here called it a masterpiece, but imo this was far from being one.  it had its good points (at least in a way it explored more specific things rather than just about the repetetive theme of man being united to fight for survival in a fantasy world with the help of other beings, like the different relationship between parent and child, death, that frodo was saved because he gave in to temptation but did not hurt anyone unlike smeagle, etc.).  sadly,  it also had a lot of bad points (many many cliched scenes, it did not bring anything new that would make it better than the other two lotr, and some inconsistencies like hobbits not fit for fighting yet sam being able to kill 3 orcs by himself even though he was the size of a midget, overly exaggerated truimphant scenes, weak symbolism and too predictable) even more than in two towers as far as i remember.  and the thing is these points (or maybe things i just didnt like about it) were pretty much the same as in the last lotr.

rotk felt like a mixture of both fellowship and two towers.  both of which i thought were just ok.  it seemed so predictable many times even if i havent read the book and it was like every a lot of the shots on the characters were money shots.  it tried to please the audience in every way it could (not saying this is bad) and most symbolisms it had were so obvious that it felt like a sell out (this problem also lead to its predictability). it felt like it wanted to make the viewer one step ahead of what was happening all the time ( i dont know why?!). and damn it was looooooooooooooooooong!

but of course, obviously lotr is extermely difficult to adapt. and though i was hoping for something more in rotk to change my opinion about the whole trilogy, there was really nothing.  the book is problably really good but it seemed that the movie was merely just a regular adaptation.

im not saying it was terible or anything like that, it was okay, but i really really was hoping for more, and imo i got nothing more and nothing less from to add to what my original opinion on the first two were.

sorry for the long post, jsut had to say.;.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

markums2k

Quote from: Sanjuro... too predictable ... it tried to please the audience in every way it could ... it felt like it wanted to make the viewer one step ahead of what was happening all the time ...

Yeah, except for that whole 'return of the king' thing.  That was so totally unexpected and surprising.

SoNowThen

MAJOR SPOILERS

Just saw this last night....

What a fuckin' huge disappointment. I don't know whether I'm more angry or sad, seeing as how I really enjoyed the first two. How can one make such wonderful films in the spirit of the Tolkien book, then make a sell-out Hollywood trash film for the third? Every major scene in the book was butchered. I held off knowing anything, so I got my major let downs: no Christopher Lee, no Gandalf riding out to hold off the Witch King, no Mouth Of Sauron, and worst of all, no scouring of the Shire (pretty much the whole point of the last volume). Oh, but we did get long drawn out scenes about how much Liv loved Viggo, which, btw, wasn't even in the book. And the Gollum backstory scene at the start, which was wholly not needed.

The major battle was pretty good, but other than that, I was either bored, or laughing at the cheesiness of most scenes. Gandalf was not shown to be the demi-god of middle earth that he really was, Aragorn -- built up for two movies -- basically fizzled out (pffft, return of the king indeed), wayyyyy too much screentime was wasted on anyone from Rohan, and lastly, the Dead Men just looked so cheap. Aaarrrghhh! Why does everyone love this movie???

Oh -- before anyone freaks out, I'm sad to say I will still be buying this on Extended Edition. To have the full set, as well as to see if any of the butchered or missing scenes are redone...[/b]
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

Quote from: ©bradso, mac, mogs, p, and whoever else hasn't seen it yet...GOOOOOOOO!
i just noticed that this movie will not gross more money than titanic. but i will finally see it this thursday.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: ©bradso, mac, mogs, p, and whoever else hasn't seen it yet...GOOOOOOOO!
but i will finally see it this thursday.

I will this coming weekend.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Quote from: MacGuffinI will this coming weekend.
why haven't you seen it earlier? great av by the way.

modage

mac, i am extremely curious why you've waited so long to see some of these flicks?  how can you stand it?  or is it not a choice because you're too busy usually?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02mac, i am extremely curious why you've waited so long to see some of these flicks?  how can you stand it?  or is it not a choice because you're too busy usually?

December was not a very good month to me. And it was like being born again returning to a theater.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

i will also finally see it this week.

havn't seen it cos i hate crowds and obnoxious idiots, or ppl who make any noise in general, which is inevitable in the opening weeks for big things like this. so now i'm gonna go on a weekday, the earliest session in the morning. and ask the ticket person when the actual movie starts, so i can go into the theatre as the trailers are finishing and still find a good seat. i will be drinking a small coke. yes they still hav Small in this country.
under the paving stones.

mogwai

i don't like to drink anything while watching a movie. it makes me want to wee wee later in the middle of the movie or so.

Jeremy Blackman

I never get concessions unless I'm with some one and not expecting much from the movie. It's distracting, really.

Pwaybloe

I never eat or drink anything.  Ever.