The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King

Started by modage, June 30, 2003, 12:10:57 PM

SHAFTR

Quote from: mogwaii was in oblivion all the time because i loved it and i didn't pay any attention to the characters.  :yabbse-grin:

It seems like the rest of the world was too.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinAfter following the fellowship characters in their journey over the two previous films, they have nothing to do in this film, except fight. It seems like the secondary characters were the focus and the fellowship took a back seat to them. Scenes were on far too long and I kept wondering, what was happening to the other characters. For example, the battle begins and Aragon is gone missing with the Army Of Darkness for what must have been a good 30 minutes. Everything seemed a build-up of one battle or fight after another, leaving no scenes for the characters. Gandolf is reduced to barking orders. I swear I forgot Gimly and Legolas were even in the series. All of this made me lose sympathy for the characters I was rooting for within the first two films.

Quote from: themodernage02i also kinda felt like (as in matrix 3) a lot of the middle of the film i was watching the 'secondary characters' and not frodo or aragorn or anyone i really cared about.
i felt the same way.  i had pretty big problems with this movie, although i still enjoyed it, there were things even on the 2nd viewing i could not overlook.  i didnt have those kinds of problems with the other two.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

TheOneRing.net got a chance to speak briefly to Jackson Monday night who revealed that the extended The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King DVD will be 4 hours and 10 minutes long.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

kotte

Quote from: themodernage02TheOneRing.net got a chance to speak briefly to Jackson Monday night who revealed that the extended The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King DVD will be 4 hours and 10 minutes long.

Great!

MacGuffin

Digital Bits got info on The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. It seems cover art that might be the U.K. theatrical edition DVD has started circulating around the Net. If it is the real deal, the disc specs for the 2-disc set will include anamorphic widescreen video, English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and 2.0 Surround audio, 3 documentaries (On the Set - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The Battle for Middle Earth and The Quest Fulfilled), 6 A Final Look at Middle-Earth featurettes created for lordoftherings.net (Digital Horses, Eowyn White Lady of Rohan, Minas Tirith, Aragorn's Destiny, Battle of the Pelennor Fields and Samwise the Brave), Trilogy outtakes and bloopers, original theatrical trailers and TV spots, Annie Lennox's Into the West music video, EA's The Lord of the Rings Trilogy videogame preview, and a preview of the Special Extended DVD Edition.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Alexandro

rotk is definetely great...but i just don't think is better than the two towers...towers is my favorite cause it's the darkest and better developed of the three...i think it's also the more daring and brave, and the one in which the themes of the trilogy are more freely explored. besides there's gollum, a fascinating character.

1. two towers
2. return of the king
3. fellowship of the ring

MacGuffin

An image of an advertisement that was apparently present at the International Toy Fair 2004 event. The advert appears to suggest that the Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be available in some kind of special edition package next year. Whether this is an all new release, or just a repackaging of the three films is still uncertain at this time. The advertisement also confirms that the theatrical cut of Return of the King will be arriving in shops this Summer (which could suggest a release later than May) and a release for the extended edition of the film towards the end of the year. For now though, here's the advertisement:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

You're the Lord of the News Mac, thank you.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: themodernage02

I know WHY they did it, but it seems really wrong to put Liv Tyler on the cover of this one. If you want a female presence, put Miranda Otto on there. She darn near steals the movie, anyway.

MacGuffin

Further Details
After storming the Oscars the other night, many of the cast and crew descended upon the annual party held by those good folks at TheOneRing.net. Naturally, discussion at the event soon turned to the extended editions of Return of the King, and thankfully Peter Jackson was more than willing to talk about it. For starters he confirmed that his work on the set is complete, although WETA still have another 350 effects shots to complete! The four (or possibly five) disc package is scheduled for release in November. He also talked briefly about a practical joke played on Elijah Wood that should be included:

Oscar Winner, Peter Jackson: There's a complicated story... you'll have to listen to this. It's just something that we are going to put on the DVD in November for the extended Return of the King. There's this really funny thing that involved these two guys [points at:] Elijah and Dom. We were in Berlin doing our junket before the premiere of the film. All of us were over there doing press every day where they sit you down in front of cameras and you do all this press, except Elijah couldn't be in Berlin - he was in New York. I think he was doing the 'Saturday Night Live' thing but what Elijah agreed to do very kindly was to get up at 4 o'clock in the morning in New York and sit in front of a camera so that the journalists in Berlin could interview him live since he couldn't be there. So Elijah's in a situation where he's in a room at 4 o'clock in the morning and he has no pictures to look at - there's just a camera pointing at him and he has an earphone on. He's live and he can hear the interviewer in Berlin asking questions. They feed several German interviewers and Elijah sits there blankly looking at the camera and answering the questions that are coming through his earpiece. After that had happened three or four times Dominic, who was in Berlin, thought this was an opportunity for a great practical joke! So Dominic comes into the room in Berlin, puts on a German accent and he pretends to be a German interviewer. Elijah has got no idea whatsoever because Dom put on a great accent 'Ah, hello zere Mr Wood I am pleased to meet you'. And then Dom proceeds to ask Elijah the most outrageously rude questions and Elijah's got no idea. He's sat there being filmed and there's this absolute moron asking questions on the other side and he was videoed too. We've got this thing and it's the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life: seeing Elijah trying to hold it together when he's being bombarded with these horrible questions.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

New Line Home Entertainment have sent exclusive first details for the Oscar winning Return of the King which stars Elijah Wood and Ian McKellen. This two disc set will be available to own from the 25th May in both widescreen and full screen editions. Each should set you back somewhere in the region of $29.95. The full disc specs:

2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX Track
English Dolby Surround 2.0 Track
A Journey Completed: A Director's Vision
A Filmmaker's Journey: Making The Return of the King
The National Geographic Special Feature
Multiple Lordoftherings.net Featurettes
  - Aragorn's Destiny Feature
  - Minas Tirith Feature
  - Battle of Pelennor Fields Feature
  - Samwise the Brave Feature
  - Eowyn White Lady of Rohan Feature
  - Digital Horses Feature
Original Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots
Lord of the Rings Trilogy Super Trailer
Closer Look at Electronic Arts Video Games
DVD-ROM: Lord of the Rings Weblink
English, Spanish Subtitles

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

am i the only who's surprised that it'll be released in may?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.