The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King

Started by modage, June 30, 2003, 12:10:57 PM

©brad

i'm considering taking the hour drive to atlanta to see this on IMAX. seeing as how i've never IMAXED before, is it really worth my $/time? basically, is the IMAX experience as cool as ppl say it is?

Pas

Not with non-IMAX movies I believe, cause you lost in image quality. Unless it has changed since Final Fantasy the Spirits Within

mogwai

i saw it last night and it was a perfect ending of the trilogy. i was impressed by sean astin how good his perfomance was. can't wait until august/november.

SHAFTR

my rankings of the films...

1. Fellowship
2. Return of the King
3. Two Towers
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

kotte

Quote from: SHAFTRmy rankings of the films...

1. Fellowship
2. Return of the King
3. Two Towers

Agree with your ranking.

I think when the first came up it was something new, fresh and something we'd never seen before.

picolas

Quote from: SHAFTR1. Fellowship
2. Return of the King
3. Two Towers
yeah.

EDIT: 2X POST! MAX OPINION VALIDATION!

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTR1. Fellowship
2. Return of the King
3. Two Towers
no way dude, it goes..

1. Reloaded
2. Matrix
94475856. Revolutions.
under the paving stones.

Quote from: PawbloeI never eat or drink anything.  Ever.

ever?not even this?

context, context, context.

Raikus

I know I'm in the minority here (and I'm talking extended release--with exception to RotK) but:

1) Two Towers
2) Return of the King (This could easily take over #1 with it's extended scenes)
3) Fellowship of the Ring

When viewed as the way it was intended, Two Towers evolved into this full, rich and realized version that just didn't come across in the theatrical version. All the movies were great, but I really enjoyed the pacing of TT over FoTR.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Ghostboy

Two Towers is still my favorite, too. Both the theatrical and extended versions.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyTwo Towers is still my favorite, too. Both the theatrical and extended versions.
i think mine too.  i prefered my own anticipation of how big/crazy things were gonna get in the final chapter to the actual events in ROTK, which seemed less epic than what i has thought.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Raikus

When viewed as the way it was intended, Two Towers evolved into this full, rich and realized version that just didn't come across in the theatrical version. All the movies were great, but I really enjoyed the pacing of TT over FoTR.

I saw the first half of the extended edition and I thought it was WAY better than the theatrical version (well I guess first half of the theatrical version).  I think I am going to wait until RotK extended gets released and get all 3 extendeds at once.

----
I enjoyed and liked Return of the King but I wouldn't say that I loved it, in fact I think I'd be upset if it won Best Picture.  The only performance I thought was that memorable was Ian McKellan (I really don't understand the Sean Astin oscar talk, why because he cried?) anyways, I enjoyed the film but it doesn't make my top 10 of 2003.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

What a let down. I was greatly disappointed. The build-up of two epic movies and this is how it ends?

*MINOR SPOILERS*

The movie overall fely too overextended. I think my main problem was with the screenplay. After following the fellowship characters in their journey over the two previous films, they have nothing to do in this film, except fight. It seems like the secondary characters were the focus and the fellowship took a back seat to them. Scenes were on far too long and I kept wondering, what was happening to the other characters. For example, the battle begins and Aragon is gone missing with the Army Of Darkness for what must have been a good 30 minutes. Everything seemed a build-up of one battle or fight after another, leaving no scenes for the characters. Gandolf is reduced to barking orders. I swear I forgot Gimly and Legolas were even in the series. Also, the battles kinda turned into the film into a run-of-the-mill action movie, complete with cheesy lines. When a character says, "No man can kill me!" and his opponent is a woman, you know what the next line is gonna be. It was also a series of seeing characters on the brink of death, but then all of a sudden someone comes to the rescue. All of this made me lose sympathy for the characters I was rooting for within the first two films. I felt the film worked best after the AT-AT's ice attack on Hoth the giant elephant battle, and it came back to being about the characters. I'd rank the films in order when they were released.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

THANK YOU LORD!!!! Someone agress with me.

Exactly exactly exactly, Mac. The cheese platter was overwhelming in this instalment.

Let's hope the extended dvd salvages it for the trilogy...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mogwai

Quote from: SoNowThenLet's hope the extended dvd salvages it for the trilogy...
that was what i was thinking too. i think that mac will get something more out of the extended one. i was in oblivion all the time because i loved it and i didn't pay any attention to the characters.  :yabbse-grin: