SADDEST MOVIE MOMENT (spoilers)

Started by soylent greenish, June 11, 2003, 05:16:06 AM

soylent greenish

im new here so im not sure if this topic has been burnt out or not.
but what cinematic moment is most saddest to you.

for me it's when chris ( robin williams ) realizes that Leona, the flight attendent, is really his daughter. in WHAT DREAMS MAY COME

the greater part of the movie is crap.  but for some reason i cry buckets everytime i see that scene. :cry:

Cecil

spoilers (requiem for a dream, platoon)

i know there are many others that im forgetting, but the "old" monologue in requiem for a dream, as well as harry and marions last phone conversation, and the last scene of the movie (sarah with the red dress...) always make me cry.

willem dafow getting shot down in platoon also makes me cry... the bulk of born on the fourth of july as well.

plenty more.... cant really remember (not sure i want to)

MacGuffin

In "Dumbo" when he goes to visit his locked up mother, and she swings him in her trunk.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

the horse who's slowsly sinking to death in the never ending story. beautiful just beautiful.

children with angels

Quote from: MacGuffinIn "Dumbo" when he goes to visit his locked up mother, and she swings him in her trunk.

Totally.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

SoNowThen

When Costner asks his dad to play catch in Field Of Dreams. For some reason I can't help crying everytime I see this.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

BonBon85

I agree with Cecil on the Requiem stuff, and I'll add a few scenes in Dancer in the Dark as well as the Stanley has to go to the bathroom scene in Magnolia. The Wise Up sequence gets me too.

Sigur Rós

Requiem for a Dream: The scene where Harry calls Marrion from prison. That's pretty damn sad!

Sleuth

Cecil stole my emotions from the "most powerful scenes" thread and he should be banned

But also I think we're all forgetting Bambi...
I like to hug dogs

Gold Trumpet

In Hillary and Jackie, when Emily Watson's character of a musical genius has been reduced down to a non understanding, half retarted woman because of the mental abuse she suffered through her life and they show her back in a musical orchestra of sorts when her job is to just hit a tamberine at a specific moment and she misses it. She smiles embarassingly and hits it. Then they show a flashback of her to a little girl and missing that same part, but not because of her mental incapabilities, but because she wasn't pushed to death yet to strive for musical excellence. Don't know if I should admit it, but I cried for a half hour after seeing that one moment and this was prolly 3 years ago and I haven't watched the movie since.

~rougerum

Sigur Rós

Titanic! The scene where Leo dies  :cry:

chainsmoking insomniac

Wow.  :(

The final scene in American Beauty, when we see Kevin Spacey's dead smile as the blood spills from his head, kinda got me.  And the monologue that followed....

And Apollo 13, when the heroes return from space.....don't know why, but I got teary-eyed.  

Also in Amelie, in the final scene where she and her soul mate just made love for the first time and she's so happy....kinda tear-jerked me a bit too, but mainly because I wanted to be the dude in bed with her  :-D

But all of those moments you posted above got to me at some point, especially Dumbo.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Ghostboy

Quote from: Phil Marlowethe horse who's slowsly sinking to death in the never ending story. beautiful just beautiful.

When I saw that movie for the first time, when I was like five, that scene freaked me out and disturbed me  so much that my mom had to turn the movie off, and I didn't see it again until just a few years ago.

Oh, and Edward Scissorhands always has done the trick. Monsters Inc is joining the rank. But the number one movie to make me cry will always and forever be E.T. When they zap him with the defilibrator and there's the perfect cut to Gertie sobbing...that's the breaking point.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpethalf retarted woman because of the mental abuse she suffered through her life
i think multiple sclerosis had something to do with that.

Quote from: mogwaiThe end of 'Planes, trains & automobiles'.
yes! oh man, warms up the ticker don't it.

for me: forrest gump "i might not be a smart man, but i know what love is" and then he runs out into the rain. that always makes me do the old "there's sumthin in my eye".
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: Pfor me: forrest gump "i might not be a smart man, but i know what love is" and then he runs out into the rain. that always makes me do the old "there's sumthin in my eye".

Damn, you are SO rite!