SADDEST MOVIE MOMENT (spoilers)

Started by soylent greenish, June 11, 2003, 05:16:06 AM

jokerspath

In my youth I remember one of the first time I was ever moved to tears was when watching Posse, when the Baldwin bro's character saves Weezy, and later Weezy is putting rocks and a book on top of his grave and he starts bawling.  Nearly lost it then.  Pretty pathetic...

A friend of mine has only cried to one movie ever: Short Circuit 2, in the theatre...

Another friend cried at The Land Before Time in the theatre ("the scene where he is seperated from his parents", which I embarrasingly reminded him was in the first ten minutes of the film)...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

pookiethecat

gigantic spoiler for the last 30 minutes of the last of the mohicans!

-the english officer, who the movie has so far positioned as the jerk, proves his true love of cora by sacrficing his life for hers...when he cries out in pain as the indians burn him

-daniel day-lewis crying because he shoots the officer to give him a more humane, quicker death

-uncas sacrificing his life to try and save his love, alice

-alice teetering at the edge of the cliff, knowing that uncas is dead, she will be separated from her sister, cora, and that her life with mogwai will be horrible

-cora's cry of anguish as alice finally plunges

-the very very lost shot of the frontier.  

phewwww.  feels good to get all that out...
i wanna lick 'em.

godardian

Quote from: Pi agree. but i havn't seen it.

spoiler warning please.

Sorry 'bout that. I thought I was being so vague and unspecific as not to give anything away...

I'll REALLY have to rent Last of the Mohicans now. Even though Cooper was such a terrible writer... it's still a story that could make a good movie. Sometimes, when a movie is made of a terrible novel, you can see that it was really a story meant for the movies all along.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

pookiethecat

the movie is very loosely based on the novel.  the wrong characters fall in love, races are changed, and the ending is different.  not that i've actually read the original.  cooper's writing is like sanskrit, from what i hear....but  dammit, godardian, now you know what happens.  how could you read my spoiler-packed post?  tss ts
i wanna lick 'em.

Ghostboy

Last Of The Mohicans is still my favorite Michael Mann film. The score by Trevor Jones is amazing all by itself. One of the greatest, most beautiful action epics, in my opinon. I remember my dad taking me to see it about three times when it first came out, and then watching it endlessly on video (it was also the film that introduced me to the joys of letterboxing, since it was never available in pan/scan).

Go ahead and blind buy it. And yes, Fenimore may have had some good stories to tell, but damn if he wasn't the a lugubrious writer.

children with angels

Quote from: Ghostboylugubrious

:-D  First time this word has been used on Xixax.com? Probably. Respect, Ghostboy!  :lol:
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

©brad

Quote from: godardian
I also agree with the last scene of About Schmidt making it impossible not to  :yabbse-cry:

i think i might have mentioned this before, but when i first got to england in january i was kinda in a weird place and confused, esp. with being in a new country and whatnot. anyway, the first movie i went to see there was about schmidt. overall i thought the movie was a good, besides a few minor stuff here and there, but u are totally right about this ending. it hit me pretty damn hard. its good because its like happy and sad at the same time. it was a happy cry i guess u could say, like the one at the end of magnolia.

Xixax

I very nearly cried when Donnie Darko died. That movie moved me that much. Fucking brilliant, it is.

Can't honestly say I've ever fully teared up over a movie since becoming a pseudo-cinephile. Only the crooning voice of Elvis can bring me to tears now.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

modage

yeah i just watched about schmidt for the third time.  saw it twice in the theatres, and i think i welled up every time.  just a great great perfect ending to that movie.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pookiethecat

Quote from: GhostboyLast Of The Mohicans is still my favorite Michael Mann film. The score by Trevor Jones is amazing all by itself. One of the greatest, most beautiful action epics, in my opinon. I remember my dad taking me to see it about three times when it first came out, and then watching it endlessly on video (it was also the film that introduced me to the joys of letterboxing, since it was never available in pan/scan).

Go ahead and blind buy it. And yes, Fenimore may have had some good stories to tell, but damn if he wasn't the a lugubrious writer.

Good point about the score.  One of the best ever.

To me, Last of the Mohicans is great as an action epic, but even greater as a love story/romance.  Lots of chemistry between Daniel Day-Lewis and Madeleine Stowe

Mann is really a great director of popcorn entertainment that somehow resonates more than it should.  He's the go-to guy for slick entertainment.  I really liked Manhunter.
i wanna lick 'em.

MacGuffin

Quote from: pookiethecatMann is really a great director of popcorn entertainment that somehow resonates more than it should.  He's the go-to guy for slick entertainment.  I really liked Manhunter.

I hope you're not including "Heat", "The Insider" and "Ali" under that 'popcorn entertainment'  banner. Those three are far from being, and deeper than, 'slick entertainment' movies.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pookiethecat

i think the goals of his movies are foremost to provide friday night entertainment rather than advance or push the limits of filmmaking as an art.   but what he does he does spectacularly well.
i wanna lick 'em.

MacGuffin

Quote from: pookiethecati think the goals of his movies are foremost to provide friday night entertainment rather than advance or push the limits of filmmaking as an art.   but what he does he does spectacularly well.

Wow, you consider movies about two lonely men, on opposites sides of the law, and the rigors of their jobs, the tobacco industry and the stress of man who brought it down, and a bio-pic about the struggles of arguably the greatest boxer of all time "friday night entertainment"?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pookiethecat

i wanna lick 'em.

MacGuffin

Because they're just not films you forget after you watch them...But, I guess, you have.

Skeleton FilmWorks