SADDEST MOVIE MOMENT (spoilers)

Started by soylent greenish, June 11, 2003, 05:16:06 AM

Vile5

Quote from: MrBurgerKingThe saddest movie moments for me are the ends of good movies, when the credits come up.
I totally agree with you
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

meatwad

everyboy keep listing the scene in magnolia with tom crusie at his fathers bedside, which is sad and all, but i'm suprised nobody has mentioned the scene with Jason Robards talking to Phil Hoffman, where he gives his long speech about his ex wife, and how he cheated on her. That breaks me up every time

classical gas

Quote from: MrBurgerKingThe end of Monsters Inc makes me cry. Perhaps its because of the fact that my childhood best friend, puppy siberian huskey wolf ran away about 7 years ago. Never got over that poor smooch, and it hurts knowing that I'm the reason she ran away. I was just sitting down in the living room, enjoying a spicy chicken sandwich, and I opened the backporch door to let some air in. I thought the dog was in her cage, but she was actually in the house, roaming around. Anyway, she immediately ran and sprinted out the door. I threw my sandwich down right then and ran out the door with only socks and shorts on. I chased her through a forest that lead into a back road, surrounded by trees. I chased her for a couple miles, and she did something which really burned into my mind as I was chasing her. Take into consideration that she was obviously much faster than me. So, she would run up the road until I couldn't see her, then she'd stop and look back until she saw me running after her, then she'd keep running. I don't know why she did it. Eventually I couldn't run anymore. I just couldn't run down that down-hill backroad anymore. It was physically impossible, and she was way in front of me at this point. I kept running, and eventually it was futile. I lost her. I thought maybe when she sees that I'm not chasing after her, she'll turn around. So much for that, the sun was coming down very soon. The worst part is I have no idea what happened to her.

So, it always brings tears to my eyes when Sully and Boo re-unite at the end.

I'm so incredibly late for this thread, which seems to be done with, but this was the saddest thing i've ever read.

pookiethecat

spoiler for magnolia, boys don't cry, fucking amal, welcome to the dollhouse

the scene in Magnolia that gets me (i don't think it's been said yet) is when it is revealed that Claudia was molested by Jimmy- and cut to Claudia entering the taxi cab while Jon Brion's haunting score plays...The look on her face in that taxi cab is just brilliant.  The years of sexual abuse and torment over it is just visible on her face...it's one of the saddest transitions...

boys don't cry- when chloe sevigny is in the car on the highway with that beautiful song playing in the background- and she kinda gives a little smile as she remembers brandon.

royal tennenbaums- when richie tries to kill himself to "needle in the hay" by elliot smith (rip)

fucking amal- when agnes tries to kill herself

welcome to the dollhouse- the last scene on the bus in which dawn has learned nothing and the entire hell she has had endured paid off to nothing...i guess that's more depressing than sad, but i dunno.
i wanna lick 'em.

Weak2ndAct

I tend to cry at movies more often then most guys my age.  Here are some serious dam-breakers for me:
- Royal Tenenbaums: When Royal gives Chas the dog, I fucking lose it every time, and then it usually carries over through the whole rest of the movie (and peaks in the ambulance).
- The Straight Story: unusual case.  I cried three different times during the movie. 1) During the thunderstorm scene and Farnsworth knows he due for bad news 2) The WW2 story 3) The ending
- Lost in Translation: Don't need to elaborate which part.
- Adaptation: 2 reasons 1) it was damn good 2) it was so true to my life it was seriously depressing-- especially the scene where Kaufman blows it w/ Amelia early on
- Glory: how could you not lose it at the end.
- Field of Dreams: "Want to play catch?"
- LA Confidential: Your guess as to how this happened is as good as mine.  But when I first saw it, when Pearce and Crowe say their goodbyes, and Kim Basinger drives him away... I lost it.  Like I said, that's a strange one.

Banky

yeah field of dreams in an instant.

i dont cry but there are some gut wrenching sad as shit moments in Chasing Amy.  When Amy is left alone by the car outside the hockey rink.  that shit is painful.  When Affleck delivers that brilliant one tear on the couch and Banky says "The girl."  anyone who says Smith dosent have depth can eat my ass.

classical gas

the saddest movie for me is 'umberto d.'  just because it's so real.  i've never cried during a pta film.  his films are my favorite among current films, but i'm more wrapped up in the intensity of them all more than the emotion.  for me, the emotion comes later when i'm thinking of his films or during the second or third viewing.  but during the first viewing it's all a big mind fuck of amazement.

Gloria

I just watched "Little Women" with Winona Ryder and Susan Sarandon.  Wow. I have never cried so much during a movie.  Especially the scene where Beth (Claire Danes) is talking to Jo (Wynona Ryder) before she dies. I lost it. Beth was my favorite character in the book and the movie.  She was so gentle and innocent. When she says "I love being home...but I dont like being left behind..." the waterworks started. I usually dont cry during movies, but this one hit me just right.

Alethia

Quote from: Banky
i dont cry but there are some gut wrenching sad as shit moments in Chasing Amy.  When Amy is left alone by the car outside the hockey rink.  that shit is painful.  When Affleck delivers that brilliant one tear on the couch and Banky says "The girl."  anyone who says Smith dosent have depth can eat my ass.

Amen.