Intolerable Cruelty (Now Polling)

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 04:46:56 PM

Alexandro

I've been reading reviews for intolerable cruelty...after seeing it of course and i think the problem is that in the reviews the film sounds like so much fun...everything sounds incredibly laugh out loud and cynic and dark and great...but seeing the movie I didn't laugh that much...I kept thinking something incredibly funny was going to happen but it didn't really...except for the wheezy joe stuff, which was amazing...

and george clooney is so fucking great...

but people were laughing, I hope it's a success...cause it's a good movie...not great, but good...and it's better to hear people laughing with this than with scary movie...

Chest Rockwell

I thought Intolerable Cruelty was pretty funny, though it's not really the same comedy as the Coen films. This one seemed to betrying a little too hard at being quirky and outrageously funny, but i let that slide since this was their first movie on whcih they collaborated the writing. I actually probably laughed more in this one than in Fargo or Barton Fink--those two movies are much funnier than Intolerable Cruelty, but their humor is much different than that of Intolerable Cruelty. All in all I thought Intolerable Cruelty was a good movie, though right after seeing it I saw Kill Bill was much more impressed with the latter.

modage

Quote from: Chest Rockwellbut i let that slide since this was their first movie on whcih they collaborated the writing.
they co-wrote Hudsucker with Sam Raimi.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ShanghaiOrange

It sucks compared to the Coens other work. And that's because it was written by people who suck.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

MacGuffin

I wanna know who was responsible for that whole "nail his ass" dialogue. That sucked.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

Quote from: MacGuffinI wanna know who was responsible for that whole "nail his ass" dialogue. That sucked.

good job on the spelling of dialogue, and yeah that did get way played out.

metroshane

Hmmm...finally saw this and I have to say I was pretty disappointed.  I mean it was decent...but all the hype, especially comparing it to His Girl Friday really set me up for disappointment.  I know His Girl Friday, and you IC are no HGF!

BTW, what was so funny about Weasy Joe?  I didn't see one thing funny about him at all.  It's like he was written in for the one inhaler gag.  As a person who suffers from asthsma I can say that I was personally offended at.....ah just kiddin'.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ghostboy

I don't think it's that people thought the character was funny as much as they did his magnificent exit.

mutinyco

Yeah...um...Mac, don't go telling me IC sucked while using a Reloaded avatar... :)
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

metroshane

I thought it was a little less than magnificent...but to each is own.  I think it would have been funny if the boss guy would have been flinging spittle from his tube.  Of course the play would be that Clooney would not be able to react to it. Now that's comedy.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

MacGuffin

Quote from: mutinycoYeah...um...Mac, don't go telling me IC sucked while using a Reloaded avatar... :)

Better than that Clearasil pimple cleansing diagram you have.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

Actually, it's a diagram of Michael Bay having an orgasm...

-St. Joe

godardian

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeIt sucks compared to the Coens other work. And that's because it was written by people who suck.

Suck might be too strong (not to mention nebulous) a word to use for my feelings on it, but I wouldn't disagree too strongly... definitely my least favorite Coen film so far.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.