Intolerable Cruelty (Now Polling)

Started by MacGuffin, January 08, 2003, 04:46:56 PM

kotte

I really liked it...not using 'loved'. Liked.

Yeah, the Weasy Joe part wasn't as funny as I thought...the exit was great though :)...

Empire or Total Film said that the 'Baron Kraus von Espy'-scene was the funniest in film history, ever. I don't know about that but I laughed. I can tell you that much.

Clooney, always a joy to watch. Zeta Jones? Hotter than ever.

Anus Africanus...you can't say this didn't crack you up?

brockly

saw it last night. a little disappointing i guess, for the coens, but still a good film. clooney was great, as usual: his constant obsession with his teeth, his reaction to wrigley crying at the wedding, "is she armed?", and the tennis scene really cracked me up.

Quote from: BonBon85Low point: I wasn't a fan of Clooney's convention speech.

I actually liked that bit. Yeah, it was over romanticised and it's the sort of scene we've seen far too much of before (the clapping was REALLY corny), but that was what was so great about it. Just when i was thinking: "God, never would have expected that shit from the Coens", we find out that Howard was an actor and Marylin is fucking Miles over, which therefore means the whole speech was meaningless. It's a nice, dark twist and its kind of a "fuck you" to those sorts of films, i thought.

Quote from: mutinycoYeah...um...Mac, don't go telling me IC sucked while using a Reloaded avatar... :)

so true :wink:

MacGuffin

Quote from: Brock Landers
Quote from: mutinycoYeah...um...Mac, don't go telling me IC sucked while using a Reloaded avatar... :)

Except I never said "Cruelty" sucked.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Brock Landers

Except I never said "Cruelty" sucked.

sorry

SHAFTR

I must say I really enjoyed this film.  Coen Bros are pretty hit and miss for me and this is a definite hit.  Clooney, wow.  Every movie of his I see the more I just love the guy, he's the Cary Grant of our generation (I think I am echoing GT's comments on the guy, could have been someone else though).  Dialogue, as always for a Coen Bros film, flowed nicely.  I wonder how much research is done into each region/niche they are trying to capture when writing a script.  The fast dialogue, the slow clapping scene, the improptu kisses...I just felt the same glamour and pishnazz that the Classical Hollywood Films gave, which I think was the point.  Probably one of my top 5 movies I have seen, yet this year.  

I want to point out that this is not a film I was looking forward to, I just thought I owed my g/f a romantic comedy and this is one I would go see with her.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

SoNowThen

Yeah, I really enjoyed this flick. I don't understand why so many have shit-talked it recently. It's cute, it's light, but I laughed consistently the whole way through. Clooney's facial gestures are just classic. And Wheezy Joe, at the end, the whole "no go" thing: wonderful.

Also worth mention is the fact that Vegas establishing shots have got woefully boring and/or overblown the last couple years, but they did a really nice, simple one for this. And Deakins, as always, comes through -- Caesars Palace stuff looked great.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

kotte

Quote from: SoNowThenCaesars Palace stuff looked great.

Reminded me of Ocean's Eleven...Very Danny Ocean at the slots...

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, I really enjoyed this flick. I don't understand why so many have shit-talked it recently. It's cute, it's light, but I laughed consistently the whole way through.

yeah but how many coen brothers flicks would you say its better than?  i liked it, and enjoyed myself.  but, would rank it dead last.  i dont think anyone here said it sucks, that just seems to be the consensus.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I liked it better than Fargo, Hudsucker, Miller's Crossing, and O Brother.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SHAFTR

I liked it better than O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Man Who Wasn't There and Blood Simple.

modage

Quote from: SoNowThenI liked it better than Fargo, Hudsucker, Miller's Crossing, and O Brother.

you are crazy, sir.

Quote from: SHAFTRI liked it better than O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Man Who Wasn't There and Blood Simple.

and so are you.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SoNowThenI liked it better than Fargo, Hudsucker, Miller's Crossing, and O Brother.

you are crazy, sir.

Quote from: SHAFTRI liked it better than O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Man Who Wasn't There and Blood Simple.

and so are you.

or am I so sane that I just blew your mind?

mutinyco

It was better than Hudsucker. That's for sure. Is it front teir Coens? It's no Barton Fink or Miller's Crossing. But it was consistently funny and entertaining. And that's what counted here -- cause that was the intention.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

kotte

I mean, I love George but what the fucks up with the hair???

http://www.perfectpeople.net/picpage.php3/cpid=35942

No Danny Ocean, that's for sure.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

The first 20 minutes... great. The awkward bedroom scene with the pool boy, and the courtroom scene. That was so beautiful and perfect I wanted to cry.

There should have been more of that stuff.

Too many cliches... the attack dogs, the guy who cries at weddings, the token crazy black guy.

Geoffrey Rush's character was great ("I am just a poor boy and my story's seldom told"). Let's not forget the singing marriage chaplain, and of course HEINZ THE BARON KRAUSS VON ESPIE. That was great.