Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Drill

Greenwood definitely isn't going anywhere in the near future. But, circa 2002, none of us would've thought he'd ever stop working with the whole Largo crew.

Freddie Dodd

Quote from: Drill on July 19, 2020, 04:46:52 PM
Quote from: Freddie Dodd on July 19, 2020, 11:26:05 AM
Quote from: Drill on July 19, 2020, 01:26:54 AM
Just a hunch. She's said in interviews something to the effect of her struggling to figure out how to play the part which, IMO, is evident on screen. No drama at all, just not the magic of their Boogie Nights collaboration. I think of the "old group", he'd only bring back Reilly, Hall, and Walters (just for a bit part like what was supposed to be in The Master).

In the making of documentary Moore seemed to find it challenging to play such a broadly character with such an heightened style of acting, as she stated she'll try to underplayed more often than not at that point in her career.  Paul style has changed dramatically that I couldn't picture the more wiser version of himself writing a character who could seem to come out of your daytime soap opera.  Reilly and Anderson have stick to just a three-picture plan, not looking like they'll be back working together.  Hall is not in the best condition of health and if he doesn't have a role in this picture I doubt we'll see him again in a PTA film.

He and Reilly are still very close. I think it's much more likely he'll be back than Moore. That said, I don't necessarily think any of them will be. He likes to move on to new people. JoAnne Sellar and Mark Bridges are about the only 2 people in PTA's world whose places are secure. I bet, eventually, he'll even move on from Greenwood.

Reilly in some recent interviews confirmed Paul still contacts him personal. Though I think he's just past that point of revitalizing the key players of his trope from the first four films.  Just that I think he'll prefer to work with mainly actors that haven't worked before with one previous collaborator in the lead(Phoenix-IV, DDL-PT).

For a casting speculation maybe he could give longtime friend JJL the agent role.  Seems like something that would be suitable to her, with the San Fernando Valley callback to Fast Times at Ridgemont High, while having grown up in a Hollywood family. Just would seem like good timing as Paul and Jennifer have expressed of wanting to work with each other for a long time now. She helped with some of the creative process on BN-Magnolia according to PTA and is thanked in the credits.

wilberfan

More tidbits.

QuoteThe untitled upcoming project is still in pre-production, though Anderson is said to have finished writing the movie, which revolves around a high school student who is also an exchange student. It will be the fourth film that Paul Thomas Anderson has set in the San Fernando Valley, the Los Angeles area where "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia," and "Punch-Drunk Love" unfolded in glorious color. The upcoming film is also Paul Thomas Anderson's sixth period film, and his third trip to the 1970s after "Inherent Vice," also set in Los Angeles, and "Boogie Nights." This is said to be an ensemble piece, with multiple interlocking storylines. Anderson is also producing through his Ghoulardi Film Company banner.

Source

jenkins

from a creative capacity what's exciting is an exchange student doesn't sound like paul at all. of course the less he travels upon obvious paths the more he succeeds in imaginative possibilities

but i need like the press release about the narrative situation

Drill

I like the idea of that but I'm not sure we can trust Indiewire.

Find Your Magali

Unsolicited thoughts:

-- The "closeted gay politician" thread -- and, yes, I fully understand that it's a period piece -- worries me slighlty as being exploitative or even stale. I know it could go in 100 directions. I will trust PTA's writing and directing to push it past cliche and stereotypes as a plot element.

-- I wouldn't have a problem if he mixed it up and moved on from Greenwood. ...  Sometimes you need a new muse and inspiration. Magnolia is truly a PTA/Aimee Mann film; doesn't exist without both of them. ... But OTOH as much as Aimee Mann is the muse behind the writing of Magnolia, it's Jon Brion who gives that film its steady unshakeable pulse. I cannot imagine Magnolia without Brion, either. ...

-- Clearly, part of this is again PTA writing what he knows. Makes you hope again, that he might eventually circle all the way back home and give us the Ghoulardi film we need. (Speaking of which, I didn't realize (or had forgotten) until reading Carol Burnett's autobiography how tight Ernie Anderson and Tim Conway were in Cleveland. Imagine casting THOSE TWO for a picture.)

melaniehaynes

Carrie Coon as the agent is a great choice  :bravo:

Adam Driver as gay  politician would be interesting I mean he has the range  but I feel like pta will maybe cast a gay actor

pynchonikon

https://mobile.twitter.com/ITMACTINGSTUDIO/status/1286728495771484160

Apparently the casting process is going smoothly.

James Franco as the politician? He's born and raised Californian, familiar with the 70s setting (the Deuce is indeed his best work), he was at the back of Paul's mind for the Master when Joaquin wasn't available yet, and his sexuality has been a discussion over the years.

wilberfan

Isn't this the kind of thing that producers would frown upon?  "Hey, our client has been cast in this new movie that is being really kept under wraps!"  Although I guess it doesn't really reveal much of anything when you think about it.  "Supporting role" could be anything.

jviness02

I wonder how close these descriptions will be to the actual characters. Remember when Phantom Thread was described as an arthouse 50 Shades of Grey?

Drenk

He has the face of a closeted agent.
Ascension.

ThereWillBeOreos

Hm. I'm interested. Wouldn't mind if we got a mixture of old talent and fresh talent for this flick. I still think filming late August is out of the question :(

wilberfan

Quote from: pynchonikon on July 25, 2020, 12:39:10 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/ITMACTINGSTUDIO/status/1286728495771484160

Apparently the casting process is going smoothly.
Looks like that Instagram posting has been taken down?  Wonder if Sellar/Ghoulardi busted them?

joneal

This is pretty spot-on casting if you buy all the blind items about his torrid affair with Victor Garber on the set of Alias.