Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

wilberfan

jenkins

they do say pre-production with next year filming though. i like the sentence that mentions b coops as the star then a description of not b coops

kingfan011

Interesting that they're already getting props put up for something filming next year

wilberfan

I was thinking about that.   I'm skeptical that the signs are a confirmed part of this shoot at this point--but if they are, then they probably either wanted to grab the signs in specific locations needed for shooting, or they want them to look a bit weathered during principal photography. 

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on August 21, 2020, 04:16:29 PM
i like the sentence that mentions b coops as the star then a description of not b coops

:yabbse-grin:

pynchonikon

Quote from: wilberfan on August 21, 2020, 04:08:11 PM
Quote from: Drill on August 20, 2020, 12:22:32 AM
[tweet]1296303669982326785[/tweet]

Was this story written based on nothing else than the above tweet?

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/199302/billboards-for-legendary-rocker-kmet-pop-up-in-san

Apparently yes, people do anything for a few clicks these days.

As far as I know from a careful research, nobody had the slightest idea what it was all about, an account executive at Clear Channel Outdoor (which owns the billboards as it seems from the photos leaked) was finally attached and confirmed that the outdoor board was for a movie shoot, filming soon in the San Fernando Valley. Then the connection with the upcoming PTA project was made and you know the rest. (the whole story can be found in https://www.laradio.com/)

Fuzzy Dunlop

Possibly just doing camera tests? Or maybe b-roll for scenes the need to look like 70s LA smoggy summertime. The air quality isn't great right now.

wilberfan

From LARadio.com

Is KMET Once Again Rocking the Valley?

(August 20, 2020) LARPs love a good mystery and are quick to play detective. Hollywood publicist Hal Lifson snapped a photo of a new KMET billboard in the San Fernando Valley. He sent it off to Kevin Gershan, former producer for Robert W. Morgan and now an executive with Entertainment Tonight, wondering if he might know.

Hal told Kevin he though it could be for a tv or movie shoot, much like Quentin Tarantino did plastering 93/KHJ outdoor for the driving sequences in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Kevin called me and I called our friend Denny Brougher who works at KMET in Banning. The station currently in possession of the legendary call letters knew nothing about the signs, prompting us to believe that perhaps they were put up to enhance a period piece in the movies.

Rick Scarry got involved in the mystery after Kevin sent him the picture and he asked his KMET alums, who had no idea. Kevin contacted KMET alum Pat Paraquat Kelley to find out if he knew anything. We could see the billboards were owned by Clear Channel Outdoor. Pat knew an account executive at Clear Channel. They confirmed that the outdoor board was for a movie shoot, filming soon in the San Fernando Valley.

Scarry then searched the Internet and came across a story in Deadline about a new movie about to be shot by director Paul Thomas Anderson. The new movie is set in the 1970s and will center around a high school student who is also a successful child actor, but have intersecting storylines. It's the fourth time that Anderson has set a film in the San Fernando Valley, the last titles being Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love.

Mystery solved? Maybe.

jenkins

he could've single sentenced that but anyhow

pynchonikon

The behind the scenes video of Phantom Thread indicated that they were doing camera tests for about a month before start filming (due to the absense of a proper DoP I guess?). It'll be pretty hard to follow the same meticulous process now, though. But who knows.

Drill

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/08/21/kmet-rocks-the-valley-as-billboard-for-defunct-la-rock-radio-station-appears/
QuoteIn addition to the billboard, a gas station at the same intersection in Encino on Friday looked like it had been given a '70s makeover and temporary no-parking signs had been posted for a film shoot in the next few days.

Drill

Doesn't he sort of have to film something this year because of the tax credit? How long does the extension last? Would just shooting B-rolls suffice?

kingfan011

Quote from: Drill on August 21, 2020, 08:04:57 PM
Doesn't he sort of have to film something this year because of the tax credit? How long does the extension last? Would just shooting B-rolls suffice?

That has actually happened before with other films. He could literally just film B roll of the signs and that would suffice.

pynchonikon

Another possible scoop. Mick McCabe, production director of KMET for four years in the '80s, was also pleasantly confused about the billboards and shared on Facebook that a friend who is a set maker was asking him the other day about KMET stickers for a studio set he's building. Hmm...

Also two location photos by filmmaker Damon Packard from last night, the second one seemed like a '70s bug car to him.

jenkins

or rather an elaboration upon the scoop. all told this is a bit of a flash in the pan but it's been fun. the greatest insight it offered me was radio fandom, a whole realm of nerdery. the kmet wiki page is appropriately nerdy and a name that's been left out of this conversation is Neon Park