XIXAX Film Forum

Inherent Vice - SPOILERS!

MacGuffin · 290 · 80817

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #270 on: May 17, 2020, 12:26:04 PM
What scenes would you chose, by the way? I was surprised by the most popular choices. People really want to talking for one hour about the banana joke? The Journey Through The Past is better but I always find it kind of precious, but I wonder if the corniness isn't the point: the voice-over offers contrast and, after all, there is that hauting shot of the building coming just after: the creepy future was always in the works.

Anyway, mine would be the conversation at the table between Doc and Coy.
Ascension.

Pringle

• The Road of Trials
Reply #271 on: May 17, 2020, 02:03:03 PM
What scenes would you chose, by the way? I was surprised by the most popular choices. People really want to talking for one hour about the banana joke? The Journey Through The Past is better but I always find it kind of precious, but I wonder if the corniness isn't the point: the voice-over offers contrast and, after all, there is that hauting shot of the building coming just after: the creepy future was always in the works.

My choice would be the final little montage after Coy is delivered home, and before the final Doc/Bigfoot scene, when the Golden Fang is seen being impounded. The narration from Sortilege is so sad and so appropriate and resonates so strongly with me these last few years:

“ “. . . yet there is no avoiding time, the sea of time, the sea of memory and forgetfulness, the years of promise, gone and unrecoverable, of the land almost allowed to claim its better destiny, only to have the claim jumped by evildoers known all too well, and taken instead and held hostage to the future we must live in now forever.”

Drenk

Reply #272 on: May 17, 2020, 02:25:42 PM
That quote is the perfect summation of the novel/movie.

The podcast seems to put a lot of emphasis on the role of Shasta and, yes, she's more at the forefront in the movie, but she's also an embodiment of what's going on, politically speaking. "It's just about missing your ex!": that kind of statement is dubious. Why would you deprive yourself from everything connected to that thread?
Ascension.

Drill

• The Vision Quest
Reply #273 on: May 17, 2020, 04:28:19 PM
That quote is the perfect summation of the novel/movie.

The podcast seems to put a lot of emphasis on the role of Shasta and, yes, she's more at the forefront in the movie, but she's also an embodiment of what's going on, politically speaking. "It's just about missing your ex!": that kind of statement is dubious. Why would you deprive yourself from everything connected to that thread?

Exactly. Tarantino basically copied it in his portrayal of Sharon Tate in OUATIH. Both are personifications of the '60s dream rather than an actual full-blooded character.  *Every* character Doc meets along the way is a personification of some aspect of society. If you have that in mind, the film isn't confusing at all. Though, to be fair to the host regarding his Shasta hard-on, he's only echoing a lot of what PTA himself said. I think it's also, among other things, great portrayal of the aftermath of a break up/the nostalgia thing, but it's not a love story at all.

Neither is PDL, really. That's more about the emotion and feeling of falling in love and what it does to you, not so much about a relationship or a love story. 

eward

Reply #274 on: May 17, 2020, 05:25:57 PM

My choice would be the final little montage after Coy is delivered home, and before the final Doc/Bigfoot scene, when the Golden Fang is seen being impounded. The narration from Sortilege is so sad and so appropriate and resonates so strongly with me these last few years:

“ “. . . yet there is no avoiding time, the sea of time, the sea of memory and forgetfulness, the years of promise, gone and unrecoverable, of the land almost allowed to claim its better destiny, only to have the claim jumped by evildoers known all too well, and taken instead and held hostage to the future we must live in now forever.”

My choice might be the scene immediately following, when Bigfoot smashes the door down, he and Doc speak the same words simultaneously, and Bigfoot eats Doc's weed ("Are you okay brother?") not least because it's a scene that doesn't exist in the novel; it's a PTA original, and yielded maybe the biggest laugh of the night at the NYFF premiere. I believe the "You sure could use a Keeper" sentiment occurs somewhere in the novel, but my befogged memory tells me it was somewhat more tossed-off.
Derivative
a
z
z
l
i
n
g

Drenk

Reply #275 on: May 17, 2020, 05:43:09 PM
The line about the keeper is in the narration, yes. "Little kid blues", too.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Reply #276 on: May 17, 2020, 06:55:45 PM
*Every* character Doc meets along the way is a personification of some aspect of society. If you have that in mind, the film isn't confusing at all.

Why can't that be a podcast episode?  I'd listen to that episode.
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

jenkins

Reply #277 on: May 17, 2020, 09:15:30 PM
it is likely that episodes of Increment Vice related to scenes without Shasta discuss topics outside of Shasta. the way i heard it described was you need to present an easily digestible narrative for the audience (Shasta) filled with interlocking details (detective/mystery movie). the interlocking details of this movie are also coherent, as Drenk is saying and as the host also says. RJ said he can’t any longer watch the movie as a whole and watches it in scenes

jviness02

• The Vision Quest
Reply #278 on: June 12, 2020, 11:08:19 AM
I wonder if Rian Johnson and PTA are pals? They came off very chummy in their DGA interview for PT.  I also know that RJ, PTA and QT were the “contemporary” filmmakers at the first ever screening of The Other Side of The Wind that Bogdanovich and Marshall had after they finally finished it.

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
Reply #279 on: June 12, 2020, 01:42:21 PM
I also know that RJ, PTA and QT were the “contemporary” filmmakers at the first ever screening of The Other Side of The Wind that Bogdanovich and Marshall had after they finally finished it.
Did not know that. Do you have a source/know who else was there? Need this to feed my recent bogdanovich hunger.

jenkins

Reply #280 on: June 12, 2020, 01:53:00 PM
it definitely is a factor that RJ is married to Karina Longworth

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
Reply #281 on: June 12, 2020, 02:03:32 PM
it definitely is a factor that RJ is married to Karina Longworth
Just found out about her. Makes sense

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
Reply #282 on: June 12, 2020, 02:08:59 PM