XIXAX Film Forum

Inherent Vice - SPOILERS!

MacGuffin · 290 · 80751

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #255 on: November 26, 2019, 10:03:29 AM
One big criticism though, particularly for eps 3 and 4 - I don't know by what means they're recording these, but they need to step it up in terms of overall sound quality. I don't possess the knowledge to pinpoint exactly what is at fault here, but there are momentary drop-outs and static-y interruptions throughout that are very distracting. If I weren't already so invested, they'd probably become deal-breakers for me.
Derivative
a
z
z
l
i
n
g

Drill

• The Vision Quest
Reply #256 on: May 15, 2020, 03:44:39 PM
https://incrementvice.com/episode-25

I don't think anybody here has kept up with this podcast (I hadn't been), but Rian Johnson is the latest guest for the "Journey Through The Past" scene. I thought this episode would be of particular interest.

eward

Reply #257 on: May 15, 2020, 04:37:04 PM
Iíve kept up! And have been awaiting this ep. in particular ever since it was teased on Johnsonís twitter some weeks back.
Derivative
a
z
z
l
i
n
g

eward

Reply #258 on: May 15, 2020, 05:34:50 PM
FWIW, latest episode hints that PTA himself will be making an appearance somewhere down the line.
Derivative
a
z
z
l
i
n
g

Drenk

Reply #259 on: May 15, 2020, 05:43:49 PM
What about Pynchon? Weirder things are happening.
Ascension.

eward

Reply #260 on: May 15, 2020, 05:52:29 PM
He's lent his voice to The Simpsons before, so I'm considering it a distinct possibility.
Derivative
a
z
z
l
i
n
g

jenkins

Reply #261 on: May 15, 2020, 06:29:49 PM
not distinct in the second form, readily distinguishable by the senses, but in the first form, recognizably different in nature from something else of a similar type

another way to phrase it is it's a distant possibility. he never chats about his own books but he'd chat about a book adaptation. i didn't say it's not possible

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #262 on: May 16, 2020, 12:21:34 PM
Really enjoyed listening to RJ geek out. Have not read Gravity's Rainbow myself so those allusions were lost on me but the digressions were my favorite bits. Any standout eps eward? I wonder how many factoids about the movie have become motifs themselves across the interviews. Podcast Sortilege wraparound are, uh, endearing.

Spoiler: ShowHide
I like that BG bbq speculation. That Pynchon's in it twice and the second time's the red herring.

Drenk

Reply #263 on: May 16, 2020, 03:04:24 PM
Damn. I seriously can't stand that host. That's impressive, haha. It hasn't much to do with what is being said, it's just physical. But Johnson is a fun guest. I wish he had more opportunity to, like, say things; it feels like he's quietly nodding to the (often embarrasingly unfunny) rambling.

Chill out!
Ascension.

pynchonikon

• The Vision Quest
Reply #264 on: May 16, 2020, 03:32:29 PM
It's been a while since I paid attention to these podcasts (Woods' obsession with the movie is a bit creepy), but I really liked this episode. Rian isn't only a nice filmmaker, but a cool guy too, and listening to him talking with such excitement about Pynchon (I loved his Knives Out reference of Gravity's Rainbow, which I finished reading last month, or at least I think I did), Paul and Newsom was very refreshing.

I also have a nerd question out of curiosity. On the Filming Locations section of the IMDB, Las Vegas is referred amongst others. Does anyone know if they they actually shot the Las Vegas sequence of the book but apparently they decided to cut it off in the editing room?

jenkins

Reply #265 on: May 16, 2020, 04:24:45 PM
itís likely imdb misinformation, since if they had shot it somebody would have talked about it. it wouldnít have been some day shoot you know. although every single member here is more familiar with pta interviews than i am, so perhaps whatís likely isnít reality and somebody will mention that

i listened to the beginning of the rian johnson episode. because itís nutritious to hear nerd talk now and then. i liked when cowboy bebop was mentioned. i didnít find it interesting enough to listen to the whole thing but their spirit is in the right place

eward

Reply #266 on: May 16, 2020, 04:32:02 PM
Damn. I seriously can't stand that host. That's impressive, haha. It hasn't much to do with what is being said, it's just physical. But Johnson is a fun guest. I wish he had more opportunity to, like, say things; it feels like he's quietly nodding to the (often embarrasingly unfunny) rambling.

Chill out!

I do find his "I know, I'm a weirdo" schtick a bit annoying and repetitive, but his passion for all things Vice and general breadth of insight - and the quality of his writing, in particular - makes it all tolerable.
Derivative
a
z
z
l
i
n
g

Tdog

• The Vision Quest
Reply #267 on: May 17, 2020, 07:43:41 AM
This is a great listen thanks! Any other episodes people would recommend?

Also.....does Rian Johnson potentially lurk here?

Tdog

• The Vision Quest
Reply #268 on: May 17, 2020, 09:25:51 AM
FWIW, latest episode hints that PTA himself will be making an appearance somewhere down the line.

Do you mean the tease at the end?

The next scene in the movie is inside The Golden Fang building right? So it's likely to be Martin Short if it's a "very very very special guest".
I'd be disappointed if it was the Denis actor (no offense meant).

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #269 on: May 17, 2020, 12:00:47 PM

Do you mean the tease at the end?

Spoiler: ShowHide
RJ straight up asks and the host replies "We're workin on it... I shouldn't say anything. I guess I just did."