https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8fsDfn8Hz_w

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #286 on: June 12, 2020, 04:19:46 PM
<3

Something Spanish

• The Ultimate Boon
Reply #287 on: July 03, 2020, 07:32:14 PM
Cory Everett aka the xixaxer formerly known as Modage, is on Increment Vice this week. Iím about 15 eps behind, but look forward to the listen when I get there. Love this podcast very much, all the guests thus far have been a blast, love all the takes and insights that have broadened my love for a movie I Cherish like no other

Find Your Magali

Reply #288 on: July 20, 2020, 05:21:53 PM
Life happens, and so it was not until last weekend that I finally watched Inherent Vice for the first time. 

I didn't go in with it being completely unknown;  I read a lot about it over the years, the raves and the criticisms

I'm still letting it marinate. For sure, it contains some of the most beautiful scenes PTA has ever put to film. For sure, the mumbled dialogue frustrated me.

Part of me wants to follow the call of those who say this, more than most films, is more deeply appreciated on second, third, fourth viewings. Another part of me thinks that it's OK if this doesn't sit in the pantheon of films that I truly love, and it's even OK if I never watch it again.

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #289 on: July 26, 2020, 11:59:03 AM
Quote from: Alphaville Review by Elena Lazic
There is an amazing take at the beginning of Alphaville showing a car headlight blinking in close up. At first however, we do not know for sure that the image represents a headlight, it does not provide that specific information: rather, the screen is reduced to a surface that alternates between white and black, ultimately returning to the idea of the headlight by being one itself.

wilberfan

Reply #290 on: January 19, 2021, 10:16:10 PM
Have we seen this yet?

Hunting Pynchon (Cazar a Pynchon)
The gossip magazine 'National Enquirer' manages, after months of searching, to find the eighty-year-old writer, and displays him, disrespectfully, as a hunting trophy

(Via Google Translate)

In the photograph, Thomas Pynchon is wearing a black jacket and a cane. Trousers with mid-calf pockets and white sneakers that look like the kind of sneakers an octogenarian would be at home in. He also wears round-rimmed glasses that look like pinkeye. He sports abundant white hair and a neat white beard. He is an older man who has left home with his son, reporters say, to go vote. It is, I also think, a hunting trophy, a bit to score on who knows what board, because, I tell myself, it was never difficult to find Pynchon. You just had to do what the National Enquirer reporters did. Talk to booksellers, doormen, neighbors. Follow his son Jackson. His wife Melanie his. Find him, score the goal. And after that? After, nothing. What is a photograph if not one more piece of the puzzle that Pynchon himself has made of the elusive figure of him? James Joyce said that he had put so many riddles and riddles in the Ulysses that he was going to keep the teachers busy "for centuries", arguing about what he had meant. That was the only way, he said, to ensure immortality. In this sense, it would seem that Pynchon, as a mythological being, works in himself, is his own Ulysses. Perhaps the only writer who will never be overshadowed by any of his works. So, to the regret of the proud National Enquirer reporters, his hunting trophy is a (disrespectfully) minor hunting trophy.
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

WorldForgot

• portfolio ~
Reply #291 on: January 19, 2021, 11:02:06 PM
I've seen it but can't recall if it was posted earlier in the thread.

Tdog

• The Meeting with the Goddess
Reply #292 on: January 20, 2021, 05:07:24 AM
So we assume the only "cameo" is the man made up to look like young Pynchon in the window at the band party?

There was the Brolin quote about Pynchon being on set one day where was that? One would assume at Mickey Wolfmann's house when all the cops are there?

Drenk

Reply #293 on: January 20, 2021, 05:13:17 AM
He was probably just visiting the set.
Ascension.

Drill

• The Vision Quest
Reply #294 on: April 13, 2021, 12:16:54 AM

eward

Reply #295 on: April 13, 2021, 12:31:36 AM
What shot is that, I wonder?

d

• The Road of Trials
Reply #296 on: April 13, 2021, 05:44:28 AM
The only shot with that fence is the one with Doc and Shasta running in the rain, isn't it? As far as I remember a long dolly shot was reported during the shooting (as one of few elaborate shots in a pretty simple movie in terms of camera movement, which worried my personally a little bit since I had expected Boogie Nights vol 2 back then) and was later linked to that scene in the actual movie. Or am I missing something?

WorldForgot

• portfolio ~
Reply #297 on: April 13, 2021, 09:14:01 AM
Looks like the golden fang/ouija memory to me too. Maybe a rehearsal or before adding the rain in?

Drenk

Reply #298 on: April 13, 2021, 09:37:42 AM
When Doc drives to the Pussy Eating Thing and kids run by the car would be another possibility.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

• portfolio ~
Reply #299 on: April 13, 2021, 09:42:44 AM
When Doc drives to the Pussy Eating Thing and kids run by the car would be another possibility.

Brick and red flags (hehe) outside Chick Planet