I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

analogzombie

has anyone else noticed the funky dvd case and all around crappy presentation of 'Lost in Translation'? 7 minutes of previews!? not even a chapter listing insert!?
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

smash

Quote from: analogzombiehas anyone else noticed the funky dvd case and all around crappy presentation of 'Lost in Translation'? 7 minutes of previews!? not even a chapter listing insert!?
Yes, its terrible.  Chances are, Lost in Translation will win a few awards and then they'll just rerelease it with a special edition this summer.

Weird. Oh

I think I'm addicted to buying DVD's that are good deals. I just bought Dances With Wolves SE for 8.25. It was a used copy but in near perfect condition. I also bought at FYE a used The Third Man for 2 dollars. and a new Reefer Madness for 3.99.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

Chest Rockwell

I blind-bought the latter two on a whim....Any comments?[/i]

analogzombie

Quote from: Chest Rockwell

I blind-bought the latter two on a whim....Any comments?[/i]

haven't seen thirteen but american splendor is great. a very nice presentation too, as opposed to Lost in Translation. it made me wanna watch 'Crumb' again.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Squeo

All for $112.  Not a bad deal!

Pubrick

so did anyone buy Lost in Translation or American Splendor?
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: Pso did anyone buy Lost in Translation or American Splendor?

Yes, plus Swimming Pool.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

samsong

Quote from: godardian

are the Lost in Translation and American Splendor dvds as mediocre as some reviews make them out to be?

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: samsong
Quote from: godardian

are the Lost in Translation and American Splendor dvds as mediocre as some reviews make them out to be?

I bought both, though I have yet to look at American Splendor's DVD since I only had time to watch LIT before writing a damn essay. I have no real complaints about the LIT DVD, personally. The video is near perfect, and while a review I read said the audio was too harsh on the music and too quiet on the dialogue at parts, I never noticed any bugs with it. I will say I wish they had taken out the DTS track and instead put more features on it. I thought it was overall a nice DVD. And I think the lock things are pretty neat. But is it true that you can't skip all those fucking previews at the beginning? I watched them all the first time through, but I'm not wiling to again....there must be some way around it!

EDIT: here's the review of the website I like to read DVD reviews from. He gave the DVD an 8 of 10...not bad at all. http://dvd.ign.com/articles/489/489848p1.html

Pubrick

i guess the irony was more evident in the last page.
under the paving stones.

Redlum

Quote from: Pi guess the irony was more evident in the last page.
:wink:

Singing in the Rain SE
Intolerable Cruelty
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

NEON MERCURY

.......and GeRRy.......

and i bought a snickers bar..........

©brad

so how are the lost in translation/american splendor dvds, excellent?, or...

cuz i have yet to pick up my copies. (i have found that circuit city is now cheaper than best buy for dvds)

Myxo

I didn't even both posting. I sorta assumed we all bought both of them.

:wink: