David Gordon Green's "Undertow"

Started by Gold Trumpet, May 17, 2003, 10:27:44 AM

Gold Trumpet

I got word that during the beginning few days of the Cannes film festival, it was announced this was a project or the next project for David Gordon Green. I have no details on this movie called "The Undertow", but I'm wondering if the invaluable Mac can forward the details for this project. Also, these are other titles that were announced to be in the making as well from Cannes:

Alain Resnais: Pas sur la Bouche (Not on the Mouth)
Eric Rohmer: Triple Agent
Ken Loach: Ae Fond Kiss
Lynn Ramsey: The Lovely Bones
Thomas Vinterberg: Dear Wendy (written by Lars von Trier)
Olivier Assayas: Clean (with Maggie Cheung)
Neil LaBute: Vapor
Mira Nair: Vanity Fair (with Reese Witherspoon)

~rougerum

Ernie

Yeah, I think Mac did post a little something about this awhile ago...can't fucking wait of course, it is DGG after all.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI have no details on this movie called "The Undertow", but I'm wondering if the invaluable Mac can forward the details for this project.

A few posts down:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=219
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

Alain Resnais: Pas sur la Bouche (Not on the Mouth)
Eric Rohmer: Triple Agent
Ken Loach: Ae Fond Kiss
Lynn Ramsey: The Lovely Bones
Thomas Vinterberg: Dear Wendy (written by Lars von Trier)
Olivier Assayas: Clean (with Maggie Cheung)
Neil LaBute: Vapor
Mira Nair: Vanity Fair (with Reese Witherspoon)

It's posts like this that make me feel like The Comic Book Guy on The Simpsons....

New Loach and Ramsey have the UK-kitchen-sink-whore in me shivering with excitement. Lovely Bones was, I thought, just an okay book, but Ramsey is sure to bring something fascinating and wonderful to it. I really love her. Loach, I've liked off and on. I remember being very moved by My Name is Joe. I've never seen Kes or the one they borrowed for The Limey.

Vinterberg is one to watch out for, too...

Resnais and Rohmer... I'll probably see them, but they've disappointed at times in the past. I guess it's hard to live up to such beloved early works.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

There was a small set report on Undertow in Entertainment Weekly a few weeks back, which said it wouldn't be released until 2004. I can't wait for this movie.

I've been thinking about reading Lovely Bones, although the syopsis made me wary. Ramsay's involvement definitely boosted my interest, though.

Ernie

So, do you guys think there's a good chance of this coming out in like September or October this coming fall? Just judging by it having started filming about a month ago. I'd hate to have to wait till the winter. It's cool to have something to look forward to in the early fall to offset the hell that the beginning of the school year is.

MacGuffin

Josh Lucas Talks About  "Undertow"

Can you talk about Undertow?

Josh: Oh man, David Green is a great director and you've got Terrence Malick who wrote and produced that movie and was a force on set on a daily basis. You go from a movie like this ["The Hulk"] that's 150 million or whatever the hell the budget of this movie is to that movie which is a million dollars. And you are literally using guerilla techniques in terms of being on land that suddenly the land owner shows up and says, 'What the hell are you doing on my land?' So it's wild filmmaking and creative in a way that is improvisational and playful and definitely dirty and buggy and literally didn't have a chair, much less a trailer.

Where was it filmed?

Josh: In the very outer regions of Savannah, Georgia...I'm very, very excited about the possibility of that film. Definitely, definitely. He's an astonishing young southern- - I start to really believe he's a southern Fellini because he uses an incredible amount of real people. Situations that you're in are oftentimes you're filming within the reality of these very outback places that no one would ever go and be. And the structure of a very specific Malick script. So, it was stunning. Stunning, stunning, stunning.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Cool... I like Josh Lucas.  It's good to see he's still making challenging movies amidst the Hulks and Sweet Home Alabamas.
My house, my rules, my coffee

godardian

I like Josh Lucas, more or less... awfully easy on the eyes.

Had no idea about the Terence Malick connection... that should be incredible.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Check out a great article w/ pics from Undertow in my All the Real Girls dvd thread on the dvd talk board...it's awesome.

Derek

Quote from: polkabluesCool... I like Josh Lucas.  It's good to see he's still making challenging movies amidst the Hulks and Sweet Home Alabamas.

The Hulk will be challenging. Just because it has a large budget........ :yabbse-huh:
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffinJosh Lucas Talks About  "Undertow"

Can you talk about Undertow?

Josh: Oh man, David Green is a great director and you've got Terrence Malick who wrote and produced that movie and was a force on set on a daily basis. You go from a movie like this ["The Hulk"] that's 150 million or whatever the hell the budget of this movie is to that movie which is a million dollars. And you are literally using guerilla techniques in terms of being on land that suddenly the land owner shows up and says, 'What the hell are you doing on my land?' So it's wild filmmaking and creative in a way that is improvisational and playful and definitely dirty and buggy and literally didn't have a chair, much less a trailer.

Where was it filmed?

Josh: In the very outer regions of Savannah, Georgia...I'm very, very excited about the possibility of that film. Definitely, definitely. He's an astonishing young southern- - I start to really believe he's a southern Fellini because he uses an incredible amount of real people. Situations that you're in are oftentimes you're filming within the reality of these very outback places that no one would ever go and be. And the structure of a very specific Malick script. So, it was stunning. Stunning, stunning, stunning.

I'm confused. Did Malick write the new DGG film? Because in the other thread, the link ebs put said that DGG and some other guy wrote Undertow. But Malick is still producing right?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

polkablues

Quote from: Derek
Quote from: polkabluesCool... I like Josh Lucas.  It's good to see he's still making challenging movies amidst the Hulks and Sweet Home Alabamas.

The Hulk will be challenging. Just because it has a large budget........ :yabbse-huh:

I didn't mean challenging in the manner of "difficult to make", I meant it more like "intelligent people only need apply".

Derek

Quote from: polkablues
Quote from: Derek

I didn't mean challenging in the manner of "difficult to make", I meant it more like "intelligent people only need apply".

I understand exactly what was meant.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

polkablues

Sorry.  The  :yabbse-huh:  confused me.