David Gordon Green's "Undertow"

Started by Gold Trumpet, May 17, 2003, 10:27:44 AM

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanFuck yes! Sometimes life is just to perfect, seriously, this news just happened to break right when I get out of school for christmas break - that fucking rocks! Great great great poster!

One thing though - when's it coming out!!!!!?!!??

Also - can anybody read the tagline? I can't make it out. It's up at the top on the kid on the left's crotch. Check it out, I wanna know what that says.

Anyway, no matter what the tagline is - I can't WAIT for this!!! It looks so much different then GW and ATRG and that excites me beyond comprehension!

I am extremely shocked ebeaman didn't mention anything about this film being compared to:

Quote from: MacGuffinUNDERTOW is at once a classic 'chase' movie and an emotional coming of age drama akin to 'Stand By Me'.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffinI am extremely shocked ebeaman didn't mention anything about this film being compared to:

Quote from: MacGuffinUNDERTOW is at once a classic 'chase' movie and an emotional coming of age drama akin to 'Stand By Me'.

Oh yea, I just overlooked it....that's just a critics fake opinion to get people to actually see it, that's all that is. Stand By Me is a perfect hype-generating movie that will get people in the theatre just seeing a film being compared to it, it's a marketing ploy. I didn't overlook it just because I don't like the film.

Cause see, even if I am wrong about all of the above (which is very possible), I doubt DGG intended it to be anything like that movie, I bet he hates that movie. Even if he likes it, I doubt it's an influence on this film...he's much more truthful than the very best parts of that movie and I hope he's smarter than to look to a film like that for influence on his own, he's above all that. He doesn't need a sappy r&b song to make his fans feel. He has more talent then that.

The only films I've heard him compare this one to are The Night of the Hunter and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre which I feel are classic masterpieces so I think I'll be looking to them for a little taste of The Undertow before I look to Stand By Me.

tpfkabi

wow. that looks great. the poster reminds me of the short film of the little boys(not by DGG) on the GW DVD.

has anyone come across a script?
something tells me with that tagline and title that someone dies / something bad happens in water........drown perhaps?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

moonshiner

maybe comparable to A Perfect World....this could be great, DGG is branching out a little with that synopsis, although somehow it could be less conventional than All the Real Girls, never getting close to the quirky profundity of George Washington

it would do well to aspire to A Perfect World as opposed to Stand By Me, a good movie all the same
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

El Scorchoz

I read the script of this film and even though there is some coming of age thing, I don't think it's anything like Stand By Me. I never thought of that film once as I read it.

It's a good chase film with a lot of suspense, so I think it's going to be his most commercial film. I'm looking forward to seeing this film. I can give you an official release date for it soon.
Who snatched Lilo's coffee???

Ghostboy

From Indiewire:

In the Cannes market, eagle-eyed cineastes could find David Gordon Green's "Undertow," his upcoming third film and a worthy Southern Gothic disappointment about a pair of boys raised by their single dad and the uncle who comes back to shatter their lives. Not everything quite gels in this dreamy thriller, but the tone and sensibility is so assured that the experience is still deeply satisfying.

Just Withnail

Quote from: GhostboyFrom Indiewire:...Not everything quite gels in this dreamy thriller...

I hate it when a short sentence like that turns one of my most eagerly anticipated films into something I worry about  :(

Are there any more/ bigger reviews?

Pubrick

Quote from: WithnailI hate it when a short sentence like that turns one of my most eagerly anticipated films into something I worry about  :(

Are there any more/ bigger reviews?
whoa, ur easily swayed.

who gives a shit what indiewire says.
under the paving stones.

Just Withnail

I wasn't really that worried, just that Green has made two perfect films to date, and hearing something negative from the very first review made me go "aw, darn". But, no, I don't really give a shit about indiewire, or any reviewers for that matter, but my call out for more reviews is just out of curiousity for the feel of the movie. We know so little, and what the atmosphere of a Gordon Green chase movie is like, I really want to know. Especially since the two previous ones are two of the most comfortably paced movies I have ever seen. If suspence is what he's going for, can he pull it off?

ono

Quote from: Withnailjust that Green has made two perfect films to date
No he hasn't.

One of the most egregious offenses at this site is the oversell/overpraise/over-whatever.  That's probably why people love (to hate) GT's reviews, and the reviews of anyone else who can be consistently objective.  We may have no idea how GT possibly came to the conclusions he does about a movie, but at least he doesn't slobber over all highly-anticipated fanboys' wet dreams committed to celluloid.

Green has made two GOOD films.  No film is perfect, and his are far from perfect.  Still, I look forward to this one, because of his unique style.  I would say voice, but he really doesn't have one yet.

Quote from: Donamatopoeia
Quote from: Withnailjust that Green has made two perfect films to date
No he hasn't.

One of the most egregious offenses at this site is the oversell/overpraise/over-whatever.  That's probably why people love (to hate) GT's reviews, and the reviews of anyone else who can be consistently objective.  We may have no idea how GT possibly came to the conclusions he does about a movie, but at least he doesn't slobber over all highly-anticipated fanboys' wet dreams committed to celluloid.

Green has made two GOOD films.  No film is perfect, and his are far from perfect.  Still, I look forward to this one, because of his unique style.  I would say voice, but he really doesn't have one yet.

It's hard to take you seriously with that avatar of yours , hehe.
Alas, I haven't seen anything by this person so what the hell am I doing here.
context, context, context.

ono

Quote from: cronopioIt's hard to take you seriously with that avatar of yours , hehe.
GET OUT!!!

I mean, was it any easier when I had Jay Sherman?  Well, yeah, he was a critic, but I'm sure Versace has seen her share of bad movies.  Okay, okay, bad soft-core erotica.

QuoteAlas, I haven't seen anything by this person so what the hell am I doing here.
Go now.  While I'm not fond of the overpraise of Green here, and All the Real Girls was a little bit over the top, George Washington is very nice in its pace, its tone, and its unique story.

I sure will , Jay Sherman...  daaaaI mean , Dona.  :cry:
context, context, context.