David Gordon Green's "Undertow"

Started by Gold Trumpet, May 17, 2003, 10:27:44 AM

Just Withnail

Yeah, okey. I realize that definitely was overpraising, but it wasn't exactly the entire point of my post. And of course nothing is perfect, but if I honestly see no flaws in them (I do realize that other people do), can't I be allowed to call them perfect? I realize you were adressing the lack of objectivity, but I wasn't writing a thorough review, just a little mention of them. I guess I could've said "near perfect", but the post works just as good if I change 'perfect' to 'great', so I see no problem if people want to replace it...editing the post would kind of ruin the point of the last two.

(I do realize that I just wrote "I realize" four times)

SHAFTR

Quote from: Donamatopoeia

Green has made two GOOD films.  No film is perfect, and his are far from perfect.  Still, I look forward to this one, because of his unique style.  I would say voice, but he really doesn't have one yet.

I don't think you can take the subjective quality of film criticism.  Now, most think george washington is his best but I think All the Real Girls is amazing.  Reason being I can identify with a young man dealing with love, much better than the life of some black kids in a poor neighborhood.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

Quote from: SHAFTRI don't think you can take the subjective quality of film criticism.
What?

SHAFTR

Quote from: Donamatopoeia
Quote from: SHAFTRI don't think you can take the subjective quality of film criticism.
What?

hmmm, that's wrong.  I meant to say that "I don't think you can ever take away the subjective aspect of film criticism."
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

Quote from: DonamatopoeiaOne of the most egregious offenses at this site is the oversell/overpraise/over-whatever.
yeah, i have to agree here.  how did that get started for DGG anyway?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

El Scorchoz

This movie's pretty much a straight ahead thriller. Not much like his other 2 films which I think were slower b/c they were more character driven. This baby's a plot driven movie and it seems like he's trying to get some asses in the seats so he can go back to making slow ones again.
Who snatched Lilo's coffee???

Alethia

El Scorchoz

Quote from: ewardu saw it??

read it
Who snatched Lilo's coffee???

Pozer

well then you ain't seen nothin

modage

Ebeaman mark your calendar.  According to the new Premiere, Undertow will be released sometime in October.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

From Entertainment Weekly:

Green's follow-up to his lauded indie All The Real Girls features two brothers (Bell and Alan) in the Deep South on the run from their convict uncle (Lucas), who's after their bag of gold coins. Sounds like a tall tale, and that may be the case: The plot originated with a phone worker on a help line for runaways. "He got a story from this kid that sounded so far out that we all assumed it was -- it sounded like a Robert Louis Stevenson book," says Green. The tale got passed on until it landed with director (and Undertow co-producer) Terrence Malick, who tapped Green to cowrite and direct.

The dark film features Bell in his first starring role since Billy Elliot. The 18-year-old recalls his off-kilter casting meeting with Green: "He played me some music [metal-country like 16 Hoursepower and minimalist Arvo Part] and said, 'If you can imagine pictures of this music, this is what I want the film to be.' I thought, This guy has got some crazy ideas, and I want to be a part of what he has to do." Ultimately, Green describes Undertow as similar to "a boys' adventure novel of the 50's -- I wanted the poster to be [someone] holding a lantern and pointing at the staircase. I think it's a little too campy, but that's the vein we were going for."

Quote from: themodernage02Ebeaman mark your calendar.  According to the new Premiere, Undertow will be released sometime in October.

Oct. 29
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

hedwig

iwasn'tsure if hteh omvoei whas GOINCOING OIn in OCTOBER oinsd in Setrpebr bsadi I loved "GEORGE WASHINTGON" And I still Ahven;t aseeen "ALL THE REAL GALS"{ so hthies should bporabo he really good

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: themodernage02Ebeaman mark your calendar.  According to the new Premiere, Undertow will be released sometime in October.
Oct. 29
uh oh, a new DGG movie opening the same day as Zooey Dechanel's EULOGY!??!  whats an ebeaman to do?!?!