The Usual Suspects...ahh

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, April 12, 2003, 01:22:16 PM

EL__SCORCHO

I think The Usual Suspects is a pretty cool movie.

Pedro

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOI think The Usual Suspects is a pretty cool movie.

I really do like it alot, but I can understand why some people don't.

snaporaz

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: snaporaz
what's even more amazing is how the fuck it came to be like #16 on imdb's top 250 list.

Its not like the IMDB list is the most accurate representation of film quality.

actually, i think it's the most accurate of all supposed "greatest movie" lists. i mean, i'm sure you'll agree that flicks like citizen kane, gone with the wind and casablanca are in every single douchebag critic's and "institute"'s top ten all-time list, and that they really aren't that fucking great. people just name them the greatest movies ever because they're somehow supposed to be.

what i like about imdb's top 250 list is that it's compiled by regular imdb users, not some dipshit committee, and not based box-office numbers. it's a list that reflects a significant number of movie lovers' honest opinions of films.

so yeah, if there's any single "accurate" top-films-of-all-time list, i'd say imdb's top 250 is that list.

Ernie

Quote from: cecil b. demented
what will be next? probably memento

Oh god, don't get me started.  

I wanted to be unable to make a memory of that movie.  :wink:

Don't tell me that's on the IMDB top 250 list...I'll throw up.

SHAFTR

There is no reason Citizen Kane shouldn't be in the top 3 of any Best Movies of All Time.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

oakmanc234

I saw 'Suspects' a few years ago and remembered not thinkin' too much of it but being blown away by the twist. I rented it again last week, and well.....blah. In all honesty, I just dont like the whole film that much as I should (I love this kind of film, you see). It's very good but I enjoyed 'Way Of The Gun' more. 'Suspects' was memorable for it's ending alone but I find the rest of the film forgettable. Call me retarded, but my favorite bit was when all the suspects were forced to read the line on the card. 'Gimme the f***in' keys you motherf***er, cocksucker, arrggghhh!'
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Gold Trumpet

IMDB'S TOP 20

1 Godfather, The (1972) 9.0/10 (70835 votes)
2 Shawshank Redemption, The (1994) 8.9/10 (89978 votes)
3 Godfather: Part II, The (1974) 8.8/10 (39726 votes)
4 Schindler's List (1993) 8.7/10 (63169 votes)
5 Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001) 8.7/10 (91204 votes)
6 Casablanca (1942) 8.7/10 (42369 votes)
7 Citizen Kane (1941) 8.7/10 (39874 votes)
8 Shichinin no samurai (1954) 8.7/10 (16732 votes)
9 Star Wars (1977) 8.7/10 (92646 votes)
10 Memento (2000) 8.6/10 (50092 votes)
11 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) 8.6/10 (40009 votes)
12 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 8.6/10 (43915 votes)
13 Rear Window (1954) 8.6/10 (25631 votes)
14 Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 8.6/10 (71327 votes)
15 Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) 8.6/10 (60907 votes)
16 Usual Suspects, The (1995) 8.6/10 (67411 votes)
17 Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002) 8.6/10 (41710 votes)
18 Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Le (2001) 8.5/10 (30568 votes)
19 North by Northwest (1959) 8.5/10 (22951 votes)
20 Pulp Fiction (1994)  

Funny, notice where Casablanca and Citizen Kane are on that list. I'm not questioning whether or not it is honest in saying what these people like best in films, because with this list and these titles, that doesn't seem to be the best thing. Not fully knocking all these movies, because a lot are good, some bad, but really most are not deserving to be the greatest of all time. Citizen Kane is the only one in the top ten I would even agree with. But IMDB is the most insane list I've seen and I'm glad it is continually looked down upon.

~rougerum

sphinx

sphinx thinks lord of the rings won't last over time

SHAFTR

I think Seven Samurai deserves to be on the top 10 as well.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Raikus

Quote from: SHAFTRI think Seven Samurai deserves to be on the top 10 as well.

Quote from: The Golden Trumpet8 Shichinin no samurai (1954) 8.7/10 (16732 votes)
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

phil marlowe

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetmost are not deserving to be the greatest of all time. Citizen Kane is the only one in the top ten I would even agree with.

~rougerum
Quote from: SHAFTRI think Seven Samurai deserves to be on the top 10 as well.

Sigur Rós

I'm with Phil on this one....sorry guys!  :cry:

Ernie

Quote from: sphinxsphinx thinks lord of the rings won't last over time

I hope sphinx is right.

And oh my god...is that top ten list is fucking shocking! Not only is Memento on the list...it's in the fucking top 10!? I can't believe that. But yeah, the whole thing does look like the joke that many people have said it is. It's just laughable for Memento and The Usual Suspects and LOTR to be even in the top 100...much less the top 10. I'll pretend this IMDB top 250 doesn't exist.

Gold Trumpet

I love Seven Samuari and consider it to be one of the best action movies, but it falls into that category of great directors who began their career with some great movies and have been over shadowed for the rest of their career by those movies. Kurosawa is an excellent example of it, and wrongly because in Seven Samuari and Rashomon, he didn't even develop into his style of filmmaking. Kurosawa was making general films with only hints of what was to come later, things that were to be much more fulfilling than these works in showing what his command and mastery over the medium can do. The best of Kurosawa is highlighted in Ran, a movie that is a religious experience in terms with the Shinto religion that dominates the belief system of Japan and also a completely personal story that relates to Kurosawa's own life in being about a man who had war dominate his entire existence of being (Kurosawa's war films for his own) but really searchs to be at peace with himself and speak of peace. The general in the film is never able to capture it, like maybe Kurosawa, who tried to kill himself in the 1970s but failed after his wife died. Though he made films during the 1990s of very peaceful subjects, Ran always hints at how Kurosawa viewed himself and his place in this world. The movie is a magnificent final last opus that dreams on the scale of epic and brings visuals that were never to be matched in beauty and raw power. If there was ever to be a Kurosawa film to grace the top ten list, Ran would be the most perfect of Kurosawa works to do so.

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

When I first started watching movies I actually trusted the IMDB list. I tried to see as much movies off it as possible, and if the movie wasnt on it, it gets low priority.