The Usual Suspects...ahh

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, April 12, 2003, 01:22:16 PM

SHAFTR

I know that Seven Samurai was on that list...my comment was to Golden Trumpet, he said only Citizen Kane deserves to be on that list...I think Seven Samurai is deserving as well.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ernie

Quote from: Duck SauceWhen I first started watching movies I actually trusted the IMDB list. I tried to see as much movies off it as possible, and if the movie wasnt on it, it gets low priority.

Boogie Nights isn't on it!  :shock:

Good lord..that is messed up...seriously. That list is missing A LOT of my favorite movies.

I will see Seven Samurai, I swear to god...I need to see it...I've always wanted to and I don't any excuse not to.

moonshiner

Quote from: ebeaman69Good lord..that is messed up...seriously. That list is missing A LOT of my favorite movies.

hard to believe  :wink:
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

USTopGun47

Usual Suspects is genius!  It's genius I tell ya!  Especially Kevin Spacey!!!
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

Pedro

Quote from: USTopGun47Usual Suspects is genius!  It's genius I tell ya!  Especially Kevin Spacey!!!
Prepare..... to be slaughtered!

MacGuffin

McQuarrie Penning Paramount Military Action-Adventure
Source: Variety

Paramount has signed Oscar-winning screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects) to write an untitled military action-adventure for Paramount-based Alphaville, says Variety.

The film will center on the fate of a special forces team assigned to test the security of the most sensitive government and military installations. Due to overzealous execution of orders, they are disbanded and the individual members expelled from the military; a year later, they are asked to reassemble to stop the terrorist activities of a group that has adopted their tactics and techniques.

Alphaville has been developing the project, previously known as "Red Cell," for several years, working from scripts by Kem Nunn and by Jim Jacks. McQuarrie is also attached to write and direct Iron Curtain for Outlaw and Intermedia.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Duck SauceWhen I first started watching movies I actually trusted the IMDB list. I tried to see as much movies off it as possible, and if the movie wasnt on it, it gets low priority.
Oh man I was the same way! Now I generally go by the general Xixax consensus as to what I need to see. I generally don't care any more what movie is on what list, unless the critic/whatever is writing an essay or something about the film. I enjoy reading those.

As for Usual Suspects, I used to think it was some great movie, but as I think about it more and more I realize it's not some great fucking classic, but I still like it. It entertained me for 90 minutes and gave me a good ending. It was the same way with Memento, to which I now give a lot less credit than I used to, but I still enjoy it, and the DVD is pretty cool.

To quote the Bard, 'The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.'

modage

Quote from: Chest RockwellOh man I was the same way! Now I generally go by the general Xixax consensus as to what I need to see. As for Usual Suspects, I used to think it was some great movie, but as I think about it more and more I realize it's not some great fucking classic, but I still like it.
yeah but chest, dont let the board reverse-brainwash you out of liking movies you like.  if your tastes are changing thats one thing, but to not like a movie that you used to like because people on here dont like it, is not cool!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Chest RockwellOh man I was the same way! Now I generally go by the general Xixax consensus as to what I need to see. As for Usual Suspects, I used to think it was some great movie, but as I think about it more and more I realize it's not some great fucking classic, but I still like it.
yeah but chest, dont let the board reverse-brainwash you out of liking movies you like.  if your tastes are changing thats one thing, but to not like a movie that you used to like because people on here dont like it, is not cool!

SO glad someone said it.  

Not to say that you are doing this, Chest, but I've known too many people that come out of a movie loving it, but then a year, two years later - after it's become a cultural phenomenon or whatever the case is - they turn around, "Oh, that movie sucks." I've heard that one with Pulp Fiction, Memento, Usual Suspects (as this thread has amply proved), a whole bunch of others.  

Too many people are so caught up in this anti-hype that they don't know which is more important: having their own opinion or having a less common opinion (like my favorite, the "Reservoir Dogs is better than Pulp Fiction" stance which has an even funnier cousin, the "Jackie Brown is better than Pulp Fiction" stance... but that's another thread).  

To get this thread back on track, I'm in the same boat with you, Chest, on Usual Suspects; I don't like it as much as I used to but it's still an entertaining flick; some films just don't hold up to intense scrutiny (*cough*americanbeauty*cough*).  I've seen many a film that lost something from the first time I saw it but I've never, in my life, ever LOVED a movie and then later thought it completely sucked like a lot of people on this board have.

Chest Rockwell

It's the other way around, modern and hacksparrow, in that it's my own opinion being brainwashed by Xixax-snobs; my opinion of something great has left the IMDb list and become my own, so that now I'm formulating my own opinions moreso than before. My discredit of those particular flicks is due to my maturation, not my adoption of Xixax opinions. As I said, I'm still fine with them, and they both entertain me well enough; I've just learned to realize they really aren't the great films I once thought they were.

I don't understand all this anti-American Beauty stuff though. I thought it was a beautiful film (though certainly no Magnolia by any means), but I guess it's not very innovative. Is all the negativity due in part to Alan Ball robbing PTA of the screenplay award or something?

SoNowThen

Quote from: hacksparrowToo many people are so caught up in this anti-hype that they don't know which is more important: having their own opinion or having a less common opinion (like my favorite, the "Reservoir Dogs is better than Pulp Fiction" stance which has an even funnier cousin, the "Jackie Brown is better than Pulp Fiction" stance...

It's funny because it's true.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Chest RockwellIt's the other way around, modern and hacksparrow, in that it's my own opinion being brainwashed by Xixax-snobs; my opinion of something great has left the IMDb list and become my own, so that now I'm formulating my own opinions moreso than before. My discredit of those particular flicks is due to my maturation, not my adoption of Xixax opinions.

And that's exactly as it should be.  Sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out as changing your opinion because I was following mod's post to you. I just felt like it was a good opportunity to get that off my chest (no pun intended) about people in general, especially that Pulp Fiction thing.

Quote from: Chest RockwellI don't understand all this anti-American Beauty stuff though. I thought it was a beautiful film (though certainly no Magnolia by any means), but I guess it's not very innovative. Is all the negativity due in part to Alan Ball robbing PTA of the screenplay award or something?

If I felt like looking for the link to the other thread where I put down why I do/don't like American Beauty, I would put it in here but I'm too lazy so, in a nutshell:

I think it's a decent film, Sam Mendes is a good director, Alan Ball is a good writer (though his Six Feet Under work trounces AB's script), but if you "look closer" as the tagline says, you see all the inconsistencies in the film.  Like you said about Suspects, it's just not the great film I once thought it was.  The out-and-out hatred that it receives I think is as undue as the out-and-out hatred for Suspects.

Chest Rockwell

You're right, hacksparrow. Absolutely right.
I forgot to comment on the Pulp Fiction thing. That's bullshit; as much as I love Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs (and boy do I love them), they're definitely NOT Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction, in my humble opinion, is one of the greatest films ever, and Tarantino's other films just can't touch that. Period.

My big bro is like that to a certain extant, though it's more for music than movies. He'll like certain bands, but once they become 'big' he hates and disowns them. He also refuses to even look at a Harry Potter book, and I always tell him, 'Well, you're not going to get the same depth as a Nabokov book, but they're pretty fast fucking reads.' He just doesn't care because everyone reads them and stuff. That whole thing with people dissing movies/music/literature because it's too popular is such crap. blah.

SoNowThen

The Pulp Fiction thing ain't bullshit. It is your humble opinion.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

But it cracks me up that all these years later, so many people are coming out of the woodwork saying that Jackie Brown is their favorite Tarantino flick when I was hard-pressed to find a single person that could say that they liked it without using the word "but" in their answer (I was one of them; until I got the DVD, I was under the impression that he should have cut 40 minutes out of it... I have since retracted that statement).  

Not saying everyone is like this but I've gotten into conversations with people who have said variations on, "Well, I used to like Pulp Fiction but now it's just so [insert synonym for unimpressive]. Jackie Brown is so much better." And I really think it's part of that whole "if it's popular, it sucks" culture that just doesn't make sense to me.  Jackie Brown is a great film and I likened my re-discovery of it on DVD to bumping into your once-ugly-now-really-hot prom date a few years later. But I tend to be skeptical when people put it over Pulp Fiction.

This should have been on the Tarantino forum somewhere... sorry.