SADDEST MOVIE MOMENT (spoilers)

Started by soylent greenish, June 11, 2003, 05:16:06 AM

SoNowThen

Yeah, okay. I just about started bawling in the theatre. Would've been the first time I'd done that since I was a pre-teen.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

oakmanc234

'Blow's ending absolutely kills me. Then it cuts to a photo of the real guy in prison, whichs slaps you in the face as a reminder that IT'S REAL.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

bonanzataz

that's exactly what i hated about blow.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Something Spanish

Don't ask why, but I burst tears for the first time while watching "The Sixth Sense". When the revelation is revealed, I nearly hyperventilated in my seat from crying so hard. Very weird. I'm not big on crying in a packed theatre.

I noticed someone mentioned "You Can Count On Me". I cried at that exact moment for the exact reason. Nice one. Also. "The Royal Tenenbaums", several scenes get me. (SPOILER) It's usually when Luke Wilson slits his wrists (so well-edited) and when the characters leave Royal's funeral in slow motion. "Magnolia" kills me in different moments each time I see it. Ditto for "Boogie Nights" and "Punch-Drunk Love". "Hard Eight" got me, too. When Sydney tells John he loves him as if he were his own son. Getting weepy just typing it. The entire WINTER section of "Requiem for a Dream" was murder. Those were tears of pain. "Born on the 4th of July", someone mentioned it too. Good call. "Hoop Dreams". "Champ" "Raging Bull" (big time). "AI". A few others. "The Big Chill". "Ordinary People".

Sleuth

Quote from: Shaun DigiDon't ask why, but I burst tears for the first time while watching "The Sixth Sense". When the revelation is revealed, I nearly hyperventilated in my seat from crying so hard. Very weird. I'm not big on crying in a packed theatre.

That was very sad.  Also the very, very last shot of the wedding video before it fades to white.  What a classy ghost movie, I love it.
I like to hug dogs

bonanzataz

i never really ever cried at movies. the only ones i can think of were the end of american beauty and the part in the car with haley joel and his mom. i cried during magnolia the othe night (the part where tommy confronts robards in the bed - "you cocksucker") even though i've seen it a million times. i get teary eyed sometimes, but i hardly ever cry.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

USTopGun47

Requiem for a Dream - Arm Scene
Dancer In the Dark - End/Glasses
Born On the 4th of July - Veteran's Hospital
End of
Hearts In Atlantis
Lenny
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

sexterossa

Quote from: themodernage02forrest gump seems to be winning out for all the saddest moments here.  that is something i never wouldve expected, but i cant say i can argue with that.
i consider forrest gump to be touching rather than sad.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Alethia

yeah but when he meets little forrest i cant help but cry and ive seen that movie countless times

sexterossa

Quote from: ewardyeah but when he meets little forrest i cant help but cry and ive seen that movie countless times
yeah but are you crying out of sadness?
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

"The Elephant Man" got me in the scene where he's showing Hopkins the photo of his mother and says "I must have been a great dissapointment to her."

In "Cast Away" when Wilson floats away. This scene really shows the power of movies, when you find yourself crying over a volleyball.

I must admit, I cried the first time I saw "Boyz N Da Hood" during the scene where Ricky gets shot.

"My Dog Skip" gets me everytime at the end when you see the dog on the bed, and then his image just dissapears as they are mentioning he died.

filmcritic

Truly sad, truly sad. "The Sixth Sense" really got me too. It's one of the most beautiful endings I've seen. And I don't tear up very much at the movies at all. "Wit" really, really got to me. :cry:
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

ecchymose

My saddest movie moments:

**SPOILERS**
Scent of a woman
La Vita e Bella
Cast Away
Braveheart
Good will hunting
Vanilla Sky
Nuovo cinema Paradiso
Dead Man Walking
A Perfect World
Happiness

-----

in no particular order:

Scent of a Woman - when Col. Slade wants to shoot Charles

Cast Away - as mentioned, when he meets his ex-wife in the rain AND when Wilson gets away...

Life is Beautiful - when the boy yell "Dad was right, we win!  And we laughed all the way through it!!" at the end

Braveahert - When he finally yell FREEEEDOOOM!

Good Will Hunting - when Robin Williams tells "it's not your fault"

Vanilla Sky - With the SOOOO beautiful and fantastic song at the end by Sigur Ros

Nuovo cinema Paradiso - The fabulous kisses part

Dead Man Walking - most of this film, in fact, makes me cry!

A perfect world - The end, with the dollars floating around.

Happiness - When father explain to his son the truth.

IHeartPTA

spoilers herein

- Return of the Jedi - when i was young it used to be when vader died
- A Beautiful Mind - more of a tearjerker, just a whole human triumph theme going on, in which i like
- Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys - when Kieren Culkin character dies and his best friends reads a poem at his funeral
- Love Liza - the entire movie, it's so depressing, bu Phillip Seymour Hoffman is so good in it
- Shawshank Redemption - when Red (Freeman) meets Andy (Robbins) in the Caribbean
- Hard Eight - already said, but when Sydney says he loves John
- Lorenzo's Oil - I don't remember much from that movie except me crying.

there's more, i'll add 'em when i think of them
"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams. " -Antonius Block from The Seventh Seal

Find Your Magali

Toward the end of "Glory," when the regiment marches toward the beach, sandwiched between two lines of Union soldiers, and the guy shouts, "Give 'em hell, 54!!" and the James Horner music swells.

Oh yeah, I lose it then.