SADDEST MOVIE MOMENT (spoilers)

Started by soylent greenish, June 11, 2003, 05:16:06 AM

SHAFTR

I have a few, and every year movies that had no effect on me now do (i think it's because i lost my mother).

Tom Cruise scene in Magnolia
Bjork walking on the train tracks in Dancer in the Dark
End of Good Will Hunting
End of Chasing Amy

Requiem for a Dream and A Better Place gave me an uneasy feeling.

The only movie, I really really cried hard during was All Dogs go to Heaven when I was really young, and I haven't watched it since.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

edison

The scooter ride in Amelie

Monica Belucci laying on the grass in Irreversible

Seeing Brandon Lee's first appearance in The Crow knowing that this would be his last film

The Hours Spoiler

The score in The Hours as Kidman walks in the river

Cruise's breakdown in Magnolia

thats all for now

Alethia

i don't why, but i watched the land before time recently and i cried my eyes out.  i hadn't seen it since i was maybe 4 (at that age i watched it daily) and just this huge wave of emotion hit me.  hmmm.

i also got sad when i re-watched fievel goes west with my younger brother, at the very end when james stewart as wiley burp says "one mans sunset is another man's dawn".  my eyes teared up because it was, after all, his final performance.

Ghostboy

When I first saw Forrest Gump when I was 13, I was inconsolable by the time the movie was over. About two years ago, I watched it again to see how it actually was. What do you know, I started sobbing all over again (mostly at the parts you guys already mentioned). The movie may have suffered from overexposure, but damn it's still really good.

Ernie

What about The Elephant Man? That movie just killed me. It's soooooooo powerful! There are too many scenes to name but just the first one that pops into my head is the one when he meets Hopkin's wife and starts to cry. Also when he's reciting what Hopkin's never taught him, that is SOOOOO GREAT!!!! I cried throughout the whole film.

Edward Scissorhands is another film I cry constantly during. When she discovers him and we see his religious newspaper clippings and crosses and all this beautiful, sanctuary type stuff. Then when he cuts the hair off the dogs eyes so he can see, I always break down. Then of course the entire end, it just breaks my heart...I love it so much.

Also, when Barry cries in PDL. That definitely makes me cry.

The whole ending sequence of 25th Hour...starting w/ the voiceover...god, I love it.

Ummm, I think I'm going to stop there...too many to name. Don't tell me I spoiled the 25th Hour or Scissorhands by the way cause you really have no idea what I mean, I made sure not to get specific. Seriously, weird things can make me cry and be sad...please don't think I ruined ANY of it for you, I really didn't.

MrBurgerKing

The end of Monsters Inc makes me cry. Perhaps its because of the fact that my childhood best friend, puppy siberian huskey wolf ran away about 7 years ago. Never got over that poor smooch, and it hurts knowing that I'm the reason she ran away. I was just sitting down in the living room, enjoying a spicy chicken sandwich, and I opened the backporch door to let some air in. I thought the dog was in her cage, but she was actually in the house, roaming around. Anyway, she immediately ran and sprinted out the door. I threw my sandwich down right then and ran out the door with only socks and shorts on. I chased her through a forest that lead into a back road, surrounded by trees. I chased her for a couple miles, and she did something which really burned into my mind as I was chasing her. Take into consideration that she was obviously much faster than me. So, she would run up the road until I couldn't see her, then she'd stop and look back until she saw me running after her, then she'd keep running. I don't know why she did it. Eventually I couldn't run anymore. I just couldn't run down that down-hill backroad anymore. It was physically impossible, and she was way in front of me at this point. I kept running, and eventually it was futile. I lost her. I thought maybe when she sees that I'm not chasing after her, she'll turn around. So much for that, the sun was coming down very soon. The worst part is I have no idea what happened to her.

So, it always brings tears to my eyes when Sully and Boo re-unite at the end.

polkablues

"Amazing Stories: The Movie", the World War II bomber segment... when the gunner is trapped in the pod, and the landing gear won't go down, and they have to land, and all the guys are saying goodbye, for some reason it hit me hard.  It was a Saturday afternoon, I was watching it on TV, and I just start tearing up watching it.

Then it ends with the cartoon wheels that the gunner drew becoming real and the plane landing safely on these big yellow animated tires, and my reaction swiftly changed to (and I quote), "What the fuck?"

And I'll never get that moment back....
My house, my rules, my coffee

sphinx

philidelphia, i think it was the music that got me at the end

:yabbse-sad:

sexterossa

any given moment of SCHINDLER'S LIST are the saddest moments of movie history. especially the one (SPOILER) where the children are told that they are being freed or something, and they are crammed into the back of those open-backed trucks, and they have no idea that they are being taken to be killed, and their parents realize what is going on and chase the back of the trucks screaming, and the kids are laughing and smiling.

SPOILER: YOU CAN COUNT ON ME
i find the final scene on the bench at the bus stop to be utterly heartbreaking. eveything from their body language to the framing to the dialouge exchanged between these two siblings is so perfect. one can really feel the history, and the pain, and the love that they have had to endure. "what did we always say as kids, sammy, what did we always say? you know you can always count on me sammy". i don't know, there is just something so genuinely touching about the relationship they have brother and sister.

SPOILER: KRAMER VS KRAMER
i had no idea this movie was going to be as powerful it is. i expected it to be a touching little family drama, not an emotional powerhouse. yes, i said powerhouse. like sammy and her brother, the relationship between the father and son is very affecting. like when dustin is teaching his son how to ride the bike, and there is this amazing bit of acting where you can see this overwhelming amount of pride and enthusiam in his face and in his voice when he is yelling "you are doing it!". also, when the little boy falls of the jungle gym and cracks his head and dustin is running through the streets of new york in this intense panick with the little boy in his arms.

SPOILER: ORDINARY PEOPLE
when sutherland and moore or on the golf course in texas together and their marital tensions reach a boiling point and they start exploding on each other in front of everyone.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

lamas

Philadelphia - at the end when the home movies play to the Neil Young song
Forrest Gump - when Forrest meets Forrest Jr. for the first time

Rudy - when Rudy gets the sack

About Schmidt - when he sees the drawing and starts crying

Barry Lyndon - the kid on his deathbed and the funeral procession with his little casket pulled by two sheep

modage

when i was litle i cried at the end of kindergarden cop when they are taking arnold out of there on a stretcher when all the kids are like "are you going to be okay".  i really thought he was going to die.  kids are such suckers.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

I can never see Julianne Moore cry on screen without also crying...

End of the Affair (a really great weepie)

Map of the World

Far from Heaven

even for a brief moment in Hannibal

...in addition to the PTA films, of course, which both have very duct-opening Julianne-weeps scenes.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianeven for a brief moment in Hannibal

...in addition to the PTA films, of course, which both have very duct-opening Julianne-weeps scenes.
whatever.

i guess, ur  gay and all.  but still.

next.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: P

i guess, ur  gay and all.  but still.
:?:

I also agree with the last scene of About Schmidt making it impossible not to  :yabbse-cry:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

i agree. but i havn't seen it.

spoiler warning please.
under the paving stones.