SADDEST MOVIE MOMENT (spoilers)

Started by soylent greenish, June 11, 2003, 05:16:06 AM

Sleuth

Quote from: Phil Marlowethe horse who's slowsly sinking to death in the never ending story. beautiful just beautiful.

I passed this post up until someone else quoted it.  You win.
I like to hug dogs

children with angels

Quote from: P
Quote from: The Gold Trumpethalf retarted woman because of the mental abuse she suffered through her life
i think multiple sclerosis had something to do with that.

:lol:
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

SoNowThen

Hmm, I just remembered one that really affected me at the moment of seeing it. Didn't so much stay with me, or make me cry, but it was really sad:

Coming Home, when the younger brother in the wheelchair tries to play his guitar, but can't get his fingers to work, and he just hangs his head in frustration. The whole thing was done pitch-perfect.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Duck Sauce

SPOILERS FOR GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES WHICH DUCK SAUCE SHOULD HAVE EDITED HIMSELF

When the little sister dies in Grave of Fireflies

edited by admin after several ppl died of spoiler trauma.

Sleuth

You have to say the movie you're about to spoil before you spoil it
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

ok when spoilers are alerted, please specify the movie u are about to spoil.

thanksabunch.
under the paving stones.

dufresne

SPOILERS FOR THE DEER HUNTER

saddest moment ever?  first that comes to mind is the end of The Deer Hunter.

i was thinking about making a similar thread called, "Movies that make dudes cry..."  We've all shed tears of sadness, but what about tears of joy? when Rudy gets that final tackle...when Chief throws that fountain through the window...i'll think of more later.

tears of joy over tears of sadness any damn day.  :wink:
There are shadows in life, baby.

godardian

Quote from: cecil b. dementedspoilers (requiem for a dream, platoon)

i know there are many others that im forgetting, but the "old" monologue in requiem for a dream, as well as harry and marions last phone conversation, and the last scene of the movie (sarah with the red dress...) always make me cry.

Do you mean where she says, "They're all gonna love me," etc.? That makes me tear up, too.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Duck SauceSPOILERS

When the little sister dies in Grave of Fireflies

Dammit.

godardian

Other sad moments:

-[The Adam Kesher/Camilla Rhodes dinner party scene in Mulholland Dr..

-The "sharing circle" scene in Safe.

-The Linda Partrige apology to Phil and the T.J. Mackey/Earl Partridge confrontation in Magnolia.

-The very last scene- the parked-car conversation- in Exotica.

-The scene in The Straight Story where Alvin Straight and the stranger in the bar swap WWII tragedy stories.

-Um... Debra Winger's pre-death hospital-bed monologue to her kids in Terms of Endearment has always, always made me cry, despite the maybe overall cheesiness of the movie.

...those are off the top of my head.  There are many, many more. I'm the world's biggest movie weeper. [/i]
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

©brad

Quote from: mogwai
My favorite is the "I miss you, Jenny" monologue with truly great performance by Tom Hanks:

yea, that part gets me.

in soul food when big mama dies, it shakes me up. also, one of the many chick flicks that makes me teary is fried green tomatos.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

i know what you mean, i cried when big mama died, it really bummed me out

Sigur Rós

I cried when Bubba died.

"Bubba was my best friend in the whole world".....

Pas

I cried like 3 times the first time I saw Forest Gump.

Soiler Platoon

When Dafoe gets shot by Berenger, I was so fucking mad.

Spoiler My Girl ( :lol:  :lol: )

I cried when that little bastard of Culkin got stung godammit :-)

Cecil

Quote from: tremoloslothCecil stole my emotions from the "most powerful scenes" thread

and ill do it again some day. cheerio

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: cecil b. dementedspoilers (requiem for a dream, platoon)

i know there are many others that im forgetting, but the "old" monologue in requiem for a dream, as well as harry and marions last phone conversation, and the last scene of the movie (sarah with the red dress...) always make me cry.

Do you mean where she says, "They're all gonna love me," etc.? That makes me tear up, too.

jeez, just reading that line sent chills down my spine

EDIT: also, again in requiem, i find the scene where sarah mails the letter with all her friends very sad.