The Usual Suspects...ahh

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, April 12, 2003, 01:22:16 PM

Thecowgoooesmooo

I love the Way of the Gun, which Christopher McQuarrie wrote and directed. And I had never seen the Usual Suspects written by Chris McQuarrie. I just bought it, and I am extremely dissapointed! This movie sucks! Many things I hated about it, but the #1 thing I noticed I kept thinking in my head... "I've seen this movie a million times in other movies..." It just seemed so unoriginal.. And Keven Spacys worst performance ever, in my opinion...

Whats everyone elses thoughts on this movie>?

chris

Sleuth

I agree with you 100%, except I didn't hate TUS as much as you did.
I like to hug dogs

xerxes

i don't think i'd go as far as you... but yeah, it wasn't very good

RegularKarate

Your crazy... not because you didn't like the Usual Suspects, but because you didn't like US, but you DID like way of the gun.

Way of the Gun is the biggest piece of garbage.

I like Usual Suspects, it had pretty good performances and was great for what it was, an old fashioned type crime flick.

and this is the movie that made Benicio del Torro... no one would know who he was if it weren't for this movie and it's his best performance ever.

ShanghaiOrange

I liked the part where you found out that Keyser Soze was a ghost the entire time.

And then the ship sinks. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Sleuth

I really liked The Way of the Gun a lot
I like to hug dogs

Thecowgoooesmooo

QuoteYour crazy... not because you didn't like the Usual Suspects, but because you didn't like US, but you DID like way of the gun.

Way of the Gun is the biggest piece of garbage.

What are your reasons for WOTG being garbage? Im just curious

chris

Duck Sauce

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooAnd Keven Spacys worst performance ever, in my opinion...

Naw, Ive seen Kpax. I rented the Usual Suspects because I felt I needed to see it because its just one of those movies, but found myself bored by it to the point where I was watching it on 30 minute increments. Id watch some, couldn't take it and shut it off, then come back later and finish it. I really thought it was just OK and relies a lot on a admittedly cool ending.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ThecowgoooesmoooMany things I hated about it, but the #1 thing I noticed I kept thinking in my head... "I've seen this movie a million times in other movies..."

Are you talking about films that came before or after "Suspects"?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Thecowgoooesmooo

Quotebecause I felt I needed to see it because its just one of those movies, but found myself bored by it to the point where I was watching it on 30 minute increments. Id watch some, couldn't take it and shut it off, then come back later and finish it. I really thought it was just OK and relies a lot on a admittedly cool ending.

Same here, I'd watch about 30 mins over the coarse of 3 nights... I couldn't take it all at once... I think the ending is very contrived but thats the only thing the movie has goin for it..

QuoteAre you talking about films that came before or after "Suspects"?

Id have to say before definately. But there is many many films similiar that came after the Usual Suspects that have similiarities.

CHRIS

RegularKarate

Way of the Gun was boring and couldn't keep my attention enough for me to even care about the stupid plot (so fucking forgetable, I hardly remember what it's about), it wanted to be something it wasn't.

Usual Suspects was a fluke and Christopher McQuarie is not a very good screenwriter.

How could you watch US in segments?  It has way more going for it than the ending... it's all plot, it unfolds like Chinatown (NO, I'm not really comparing it to Chinatown, I didn't think it was THAT good) and Spacey was really good in it too.

snaporaz

wow. i'm amazed that i'm one of the many people that thought the usual suspects kinda sucked. the only thing that made the movie was the fucking ending. i remember when i was alot younger, i rented it twice because the first time, i fell asleep. the same thing happened the second time.

what's even more amazing is how the fuck it came to be like #16 on imdb's top 250 list.

snaporaz

Quote from: RegularKarateit's all plot, it unfolds like Chinatown (NO, I'm not really comparing it to Chinatown, I didn't think it was THAT good)

would someone please tell me what the fuck was so great about chinatown? the plot was completely uninteresting, and the direction or screenplay didn't seem to bother making it great either. and that thing about the chick really being a sister or something - i forget exactly what the so-called "twist" was, but it didn't have shit to do with the unfolding story.

Gold Trumpet

This has been talked about before, so much so I'm dissapointed MacGuffin didn't redirect this thread into oblivion.

My take on both these films? Didn't like any of them. I will give credit to The Usual Suspects though in acting like it was nothing about just guns and killing. It acted like it had some sort of drama to it, but this is due to stylization and how much time an actor is given in doing a speech, even if it is worth nothing. The acclaim to The Usual Suspects in its ending, even if the ending had nothing to do with the plot and had everything to do with it being an idea of contrivance. It wasn't even a good idea, it was a half ass idea on how to end something dramatic and "mind bending" that was only given credence through great editing and classical music that is always labeled as heightening a situation to some intense serious moment. Blah. Way of the Gun admitted bankrupcy right at the beginning and was full blown honest in that it was nothing but a overbloon ridiculous plot that had nothing interesting to say except to see how many ways someone can load a gun. Way of The Gun tasted rotten on first bite, and from my own experience, wasn't worth even finishing to see the end.

~rougerum

Ernie

WARNING: Get ready for an AICN talkback film snob style review.

Fuck The Usual Suspects...definitely one of the most overrated films of all time. I fucking hate it...it's just an ending with an 100 minute prologue. Boring, the opposite of innovative, and WAAAAAAAY too smug for it's own good. Both Kevin Spacey and Benicio's Del Toro's worst and most ANNOYING preformances...without question. I laugh when people call this movie "one of the best"...it's not even a movie...it's a disgrace to call it a movie. It's like a bad high school play. I wanted to fucking throw something at the tv when I was watching it...with how smug and clever it is...god, give me a fucking break.

Never plan to see The Way of the Gun if it's even mentioned in the same sentence as The Usual Suspects.

Yes, I do feel better now. Glad to see I'm not the only one that hates this movie. I dislike The Sixth Sense for the same reasons...I don't hate it half as much, but I dislike it. Signs is awesome just for the record...Unbreakable is boring....I need to stop now.