David Gordon Green's "Undertow"

Started by Gold Trumpet, May 17, 2003, 10:27:44 AM

Derek

Quote from: polkabluesSorry.  The  :yabbse-huh:  confused me.

Maybe I'm confused....but you don't think inteeligent people need apply to The Hulk?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

polkablues

Okay, I think I've figured out the confusion here.  You were saying that just because The Hulk is big budget doesn't mean it won't be a challenging movie.  I thought you meant that it would be challenging "just because it has a big budget".  I misunderstood your meaning.

Anyway, I hope you're right.  I would love for The Hulk to be a great, meaningful movie.  I'm just keeping my expectations low in that regard.

Prove me wrong, Ang.  Prove... me... wrong.
My house, my rules, my coffee

godardian

Quote from: polkabluesOkay, I think I've figured out the confusion here.  You were saying that just because The Hulk is big budget doesn't mean it won't be a challenging movie.  I thought you meant that it would be challenging "just because it has a big budget".  I misunderstood your meaning.

Anyway, I hope you're right.  I would love for The Hulk to be a great, meaningful movie.  I'm just keeping my expectations low in that regard.

Prove me wrong, Ang.  Prove... me... wrong.

I feel the same way. To paraphrase Woody Allen: "When I see CGI, I can actually feel my IQ dropping." So ugly so often, and so rarely undistracting. [/i]
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

so funny how things just wander from subject to subject.  anyone just tuning in now thinks that David Gordon Green is directing the Hulk script that Woody Allen wrote while arguing with Ang Lee on whether it should be CGI or not.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: godardian"For those who came in late... David Gordon Green is directing Undertow, written by Terence Malick and starring Josh Lucas, who will appear in this summer's The Hulk. Excitement was expressed before the digressions began."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Cast: Josh Lucas, Jamie Bell, Dermot Mulroney, Shiri Appleby  

Screenplay: David Gordon Green, Joe Conway
Score: Philip Glass
Editor: Saar Klein
Director of Photography: Tim Orr
Costume Designer: Jill Newell

Full Synopsis: Two young brothers, Chris and Tim, go on the run through the southern states of the US when their uncle, Deel returns from years in jail and murders their father for keeping from him a fortune in old Mexican coins they had inherited.
Having witnessed the killing, the two boys manage to escape with the gold coins, but leaving the murder weapon - Chris' own knife - covered in his father's blood and of course Chris' fingerprints.
Chased by both Deel and the police - who now suspect Chris of the murder - somehow the two brothers must evade capture and find a way to heal their broken family.
UNDERTOW is at once a classic 'chase' movie and an emotional coming of age drama akin to 'Stand By Me'.

Distributors US Distributor: United Artists
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alethia

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffin

Cast: Josh Lucas, Jamie Bell, Dermot Mulroney, Shiri Appleby  

Screenplay: David Gordon Green, Joe Conway
Score: Philip Glass
Editor: Saar Klein
Director of Photography: Tim Orr
Costume Designer: Jill Newell

Full Synopsis: Two young brothers, Chris and Tim, go on the run through the southern states of the US when their uncle, Deel returns from years in jail and murders their father for keeping from him a fortune in old Mexican coins they had inherited.
Having witnessed the killing, the two boys manage to escape with the gold coins, but leaving the murder weapon - Chris' own knife - covered in his father's blood and of course Chris' fingerprints.
Chased by both Deel and the police - who now suspect Chris of the murder - somehow the two brothers must evade capture and find a way to heal their broken family.
UNDERTOW is at once a classic 'chase' movie and an emotional coming of age drama akin to 'Stand By Me'.

Distributors US Distributor: United Artists

So I've heard rumors that Malick wrote this, or produced it, at least. Yet looking above, it appears he's not involved at all...

What's the deal?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenSo I've heard rumors that Malick wrote this, or produced it, at least. Yet looking above, it appears he's not involved at all...

What's the deal?

He produced it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

Glass on board for score.   I'm all over that shit.

Ernie

Fuck yes! Sometimes life is just to perfect, seriously, this news just happened to break right when I get out of school for christmas break - that fucking rocks! Great great great poster!

One thing though - when's it coming out!!!!!?!!??

Also - can anybody read the tagline? I can't make it out. It's up at the top on the kid on the left's crotch. Check it out, I wanna know what that says.

Anyway, no matter what the tagline is - I can't WAIT for this!!! It looks so much different then GW and ATRG and that excites me beyond comprehension!

RegularKarate

Looks like it says "Everyone gets dragged under"  

which is a really stupid tagline... but those are never good

Ernie

All this commotion intrigued me to go on another new DGG interviews search and I found something pretty fucking cool. Here's a little something about a possible post-Confederacy of Dunces project that sounds absolutely INCREDIBLE......

If Dunces is successful, Green hopes to make a big-budget Western. But when he describes the script it becomes clear this young genius has no intention of selling his soul to Hollywood. "It's about the birth of heroin in the Old West in the 1880s," he says. "Pretty grim, but also very funny. I'd say it's half McCabe And Mrs Miller, half Blazing Saddles."

You can check out the full interview here for some other cool info: http://www.sundayherald.com/35634

I don't think it's all that old, it doesn't seem to be to me anyway. It's definitely post-ATRG. Check it out sometime, it's definitely cool. And wow, could you imagine a big budget DGG movie in the same vein as those two CLASSICS he mentioned!? Guess that means I'll actually be able to root for Johnny Depp as the lead of one of his films this time! That would be a dream collab.

SoNowThen

re: those stills

Is Tim Orr not the hottest new DP around, or what?

Damn that's some nice lighty lighting (or lack of).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia