I Heart Huckabees

Started by MacGuffin, February 15, 2004, 10:47:22 PM

JG

It went like this for me:  liked it...didn't like it...loved it...and now i just really like it.  

Maybe on the eighteenth page I'll explain why.  

EDIT:  Hot Damn!   Eighteenth page.

polkablues

Quote from: bonanzatazi'm convinced. this will rule and this thread will exceed 18 pages. here's to page 2...

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 06, 2005, 01:47:50 PM
EDIT:  Hot Damn!   Eighteenth page.

Then the prophecies have come true....   :shock:

This movie constantly skated the line between failing and succeeding, and ultimately it all boils down to whether or not you care if a movie makes sense.  I didn't, and I liked it.  Mark Wahlberg's second-best performance.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on December 06, 2005, 02:51:03 PMMark Wahlberg's second-best performance.

Nothing will ever top The Italian Job.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: JimmyGator on December 06, 2005, 01:47:50 PM
It went like this for me:  liked it...didn't like it...loved it...and now i just really like it.

I just watched it a second time after liking it the first and I didn't like it as much; I thought maybe I switched places with modage.  But I'll give it a third shot to be the tiebreaker.

Quote from: Gamblour on December 06, 2005, 03:40:40 PM
Quote from: polkablues on December 06, 2005, 02:51:03 PMMark Wahlberg's second-best performance.

Nothing will ever top The Italian Job.

Umm... The Big Hit?... Hel-lo!

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Rock Star was one of the most painful movies I've seen. Mostly because I wanted to walk out of the theater for most of the duration but on principle forced myself to stay. I've seen worse movies on video, but none more painful theatrically.

modage

F you Dustin Hoffman!
Source: Defamer    

Before I present to you the absolutely fantastic clips of Lily Tomlin freaking out on the set of I HEART HUCKABEES, let me give you a little backstory. Director David O. Russell is known for his unorthodox directing style, which can be a little, um, confrontational (see, fist fight with George Clooney on the set of THREE KINGS). The set of HUCKABEES was no less tense. I'd like to link you to the original New York Times article detailing all this but it's only available to Times Select members, which means you have to pay a monthly fee to read it. Basically, Russell was trying to coax performances out of his actors by taking them out of their comfort zone. For Lily Tomlin this meant completely pissing her off. Thankfully the cameras were rolling. This is why the internet is the best thing since, well, anything. Buy all the DVDs you want friends, you're never going to get deleted scenes quite like this. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_OyW71AJ8E&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjoblo%2Ecom%2Ff%2Dyou%2Ddustin%2Dhoffman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9iEm2qdJpE&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjoblo%2Ecom%2Ff%2Dyou%2Ddustin%2Dhoffman

those are the craziest clips i have ever seen!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Red Vine

I was able to watch them before they were deleted. It's a wonder Tomlin didn't just walk off the movie.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

john

Aaaaawwww fuck!

I'm at work sans speakers....

I didn't think this would disappear so quickly, you know?

I was looking forward to it.

First one who finds an alternate link, or has these somehow saved on their computer gets an extra gold star.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

Doesn't it remind you of her scene in The Player?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Ghostboy

Holy shit! That almost seems to crazy to be real. Aside from the hystrionics, I loved the little details -- the way the AD cleared the set, the way Tomlin tried to get out of the car but couldn't because she was trapped and the way Dustin Hoffman just didn't do anything.

hedwig

that's unbelievable. i am completely amazed by their behavior.

my favorite parts of the car freakout
- trying to get outta the car
- *chortle in the background*, tomlin: "yeah fuck you too"
- lily to dusty: "you shut the fuck up"
- dusty: "that's .. nutty"

favorites from the cunt clip
- THE WHOLE THING
- efficient? impatient? oh, patient.
- david o nutty: bitch, bitch, fucking cunt, Fucking, fucking, fucking help you, bitch, fuck yourself, fuck
- yelling the words "have i fucking yelled at you before right now?" louder than anything else
- knocking over the lamp
- lily DOESN'T LEAVE, i am still amazed

Quote from: Ghostboy on March 19, 2007, 06:36:51 PM
Holy shit!

matt35mm

john

Wow. Just got home. Clicked on the first video... it took too long to load... clicked on the second...loaded up, watched it....clicked back on the first and they were both gone.

Apparently this is some catch 'em while you can type shit and, thankfully, I caught half of it.

It's silly that this is going to be how D O Russell is viewed by a lot of people from here on out...compunding with the CLooney bit years ago.

I'vehung out with the cat a couple times and he's always been the most welcoming, sweetest mellow guy possible. Even emailed me back and forth on what camera to purchase. I'm not the most social motherfucker in the world, and he's made me feel very welcome in very crowded places, and I'd have to imagine that translates to the set of his films - which I've never been on - more often than not.

So, aside from being amicable and making great films, the dude flipped his shit on set a couple times.

Whatever.

We all go a little mad sometimes.

Hell of a clip, though.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.