I Heart Huckabees

Started by MacGuffin, February 15, 2004, 10:47:22 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RaviDidn't care for it.  It had some funny moments but I thought the whole thing was a mess.
I think it's good to be disappointed with this movie, because it's a movie that's generally disappointed with existence, including its own existence. Isn't it essential for it to be messy, inconsistent, and awkward?

Really, the more I think about this movie, the more I love it.

modage

you're reaching jeremy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

There's nothing wrong with reaching.

Once I figured out why I was kind of disappointed with the movie, I thought it was funny, and my interpretation changed. What's wrong with that?

Maybe the strategic awkwardness was intended... maybe it was subconscious... maybe it was a cosmic accident... but it works.

This is going to be the underdog movie of the year. I can tell already.

modage

thats like saying a horror movie thats horrible is great.  because it intends to show you horrors, including making you watch how terrible it is.  or comedies that are so unfunny theyre hilarious.  you could pretty much justify any bad movie with reasoning like that if you wanted to.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02thats like saying a horror movie thats horrible is great.  because it intends to show you horrors, including making you watch how terrible it is.  or comedies that are so unfunny theyre hilarious.  you could pretty much justify any bad movie with reasoning like that if you wanted to.
Your analogies are not fair. "Horror" and "horrible" mean two different things. And nothing in I Heart Huckabees can be as simple as the  "funny" / "not funny" dichotomy.

You're assuming that this movie is meant to be consistent and coherent. I think that's a huge mistake.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: RaviDidn't care for it.  It had some funny moments but I thought the whole thing was a mess.
I think it's good to be disappointed with this movie, because it's a movie that's generally disappointed with existence, including its own existence. Isn't it essential for it to be messy, inconsistent, and awkward?

Really, the more I think about this movie, the more I love it.

I haven't seen this yet, but your comment reminds me of a portion of the Stanley Kauffmann review:

"All the hustle and bustle seems to be confined behind a pane of glass that cuts off the jokes and dulls the action. (At one point someone actually talks about a pane of glass.)"

cine

I loved this movie from the start.  :(

Jeremy Blackman

And now we can start the I Heart Huckabees Redemption Coalition.

Redlum

"The most daring thing about the film in some respects is that it's sincere. Because films about these matters are typically very dark like The Matrix, either wrapped up in some dark mythology, like the Matrix, or are satirical. This is neither of those. It's a big risk not only for regular audiences. It's a different movie. But for smarty pants writers, it doesn't fit their criteria. We've been embraced lovingly by some, but it's definitely divided them, I wasn't surprised by that all. It breaks all the rules for what the so-called smart people are supposed to do.  If you're gonna be smart you have to be pretentious about it or very ironic about it, if you're gonna be sincere about it or fun about it then you must be an idiot. "

David O. Russell, Empire Magazine
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pozer

Quote from: themodernage02thats like saying a horror movie thats horrible is great.  because it intends to show you horrors, including making you watch how terrible it is.  or comedies that are so unfunny theyre hilarious.  you could pretty much justify any bad movie with reasoning like that if you wanted to.

I think you secretly heart huckabees

Ravi

I don't think sincerity in and of itself is a virtue.  Sincere pictures can be just as bad as ones that try to be hip or ironic.  I did like that IHH had a creative starting point, but I never felt that the rest of the film lived up to the beginning of it.

Stefen

What does fuckabees mean?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: StefenWhat does fuckabees mean?
Don't you know Stefen, it's the new hip slang....everybody's saying it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: StefenWhat does fuckabees mean?

How exactly does one fuck a bee?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

cine