I Heart Huckabees

Started by MacGuffin, February 15, 2004, 10:47:22 PM

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

©brad

Quote from: cowboykurtisi still hate huckabees

i can't wait to see this movie so i can love it and hate u.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: ©brad
Quote from: cowboykurtisi still hate huckabees

i can't wait to see this movie so i can love it and hate u.

i hate you without the film, you alone is enough.

cowboykurtis

also, if one of the respected mods can explain why im a sell out, it would be most appreciated. best regards.

ono

Sell Out is just the next rank up depending on how many posts you have.

cowboykurtis

Stefen

SPOILER.

I liked that part in the movie where Watt's says fuckabees ( :?: )
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

I still crack up everytime I recall this exchange:

Vivian Jaffe: Have you ever transcended space and time?
Albert Markovski: No. Yes. Uh, Time not space. No, I have no idea what you're talking about.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Redlum

Thats great. I love that bit, also:

"...there are no gazelles in north America, Brad, just so you know. And the building squashing nature is my imagery."
&
Is it a crime? Is it a crime to look at Lange?
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ono

Quote"The most daring thing about the film in some respects is that it's sincere. Because films about these matters are typically very dark like The Matrix, either wrapped up in some dark mythology, like the Matrix, or are satirical. This is neither of those. It's a big risk not only for regular audiences. It's a different movie. But for smarty pants writers, it doesn't fit their criteria. We've been embraced lovingly by some, but it's definitely divided them, I wasn't surprised by that all. It breaks all the rules for what the so-called smart people are supposed to do.  If you're gonna be smart you have to be pretentious about it or very ironic about it, if you're gonna be sincere about it or fun about it then you must be an idiot. "

David O. Russell, Empire Magazine
I finally got arount to seeing this this afternoon.  About time, too, I was surprised it was still in a theatre here.  Needless to say, this is a brilliant film, one of the best of the year, tussling for second place with Eternal Sunshine and The Dreamers.  (Sideways still holds first in my heart.)

A gag reflex ensued when I read David O. Russell's comments on his film.  So going into I Heart Huckabees I was a bit skeptical.  Skepticism is good when going to a movie.  It keeps your hopes down, and opens your mind so you can be pleasantly surprised.  And I was.

This is not a comedy in the conventional sense.  This is a comedy in the Punch-Drunk Love/The Royal Tenenbaums intelligent new cinema sense.  Anyone going into this film looking for laugh-out-loud guffaws will be greatly disappointed.  Ebert has seen way too many movies for him to be as disengaged as he was.  I was engaged from frame one.  People do view movies differently though.

To explain, I guess, the split: people who go in wanting to make sense of this, wanting to understand it all, will be let down.  You've really gotta let it wash all over you and laugh at the absurdity of it all.  As said, I was annoyed by Russell's condescending comments, him saying that if we didn't get the joke, the joke's on us, but somehow he's succeeded in both lampooning and praising an idea at the same time.

A lot of the visuals and editing were inspired.  I loved the sequences where Schwartzman's character went into himself.  The editing there was excellent.  Also, I loved the floating squares of space at the most random moments.  There's just too much for me to try to suck it all out and put it in one post, without having seen it again.  With this one, I want the DVD.  And well, if you don't get the joke, then, well, I guess the joke's on you.

So modage, you are alone on this one.  Closer, OTOH, is (comparatively) a pile of crap.  And on that, I feel, I am alone.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Ravi20th Century Fox has announced I Heart Huckabees for release on 2/22. You'll be able to get the film in a single disc version (SRP $27.98 ) containing both full frame and anamorphic widescreen video, as well as a 2-disc set (SRP $39.98 ). The 2-disc set will also include the film in both anamorphic widescreen and full frame video with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras (on the 2-disc edition) will include audio commentary by director David O. Russell, a cast commentary by Jason Schwartzman, Mark Wahlberg and Naomi Watts, the Inside Look: In Her Shoes featurette, an I Heart Huckabees production featurette, a Charlie Rose Show segment, 22 extended and deleted scenes, 5 outtakes, 6 Open-Spaces Coalition PSAs, a photo montage, 3 infomercials, a Jon Brion music video, TV spots and the film's teaser and trailer trailers.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

The cover could've been a lot worse...
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

cine

That cover is better than the poster, I don't know what you're talking about..

Finn

It's not better than the poster, but it's fine for a dvd cover.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

bonanzataz

Quote from: wantautopia?Closer, OTOH, is (comparatively) a pile of crap.  And on that, I feel, I am alone.

ehhh, no you're not. i still need to see this one though.

actually, piece of crap is a bit too harsh. not really all that great is what i was thinking. i grew up on melrose place and 90210, so i enjoy shitty soap operas.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls