I Heart Huckabees

Started by MacGuffin, February 15, 2004, 10:47:22 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: cinemanarchistI bought a copy of the two-disc from Best Buy

Circuit City's price was $5 cheaper at $25.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cinemanarchist

Quote from: MacGuffin

Ah yes but at Best Buy you got half the dvd...and that's true value.

Quote from: cinemanarchistI bought a copy of the two-disc from Best Buy only to get home and find out that the first disc was missing!
My assholeness knows no bounds.

tpfkabi

yeah, i saw that the Circuit City price was $5 cheaper, so i went there first and after seeing that they still hadn't put out the new releases (it looked to me like it was last week's and this was 1:30 in the afternoon!) and no worker came around or offered help, i decided to go to Hasting's because i was also looking for the new Iron and Wine EP as well.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

analogzombie

Here's a slick trick for you all looking to get the 2-disc version.

At Borders the single disc is on sale for $19.99. They place bar codes on the slip covers, not the actual dvd cases. Simply swap the slip covers of the single disc and the 2 disc. voila, 2 disc version for $20. it worked for me.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

tpfkabi

at Hasting's only the 2 Disc Edition had a slip cover.

Pozer

uh oh. just watched huckabees for the second time since the theater and didn't care for it as much. Must admit it annoyed me quite a bit this time around.
Enjoyed aspects, but forgot what I liked about it during the first viewing. maybe i should go check some old posts.
am I slowly starting to hate huckabees?

MacGuffin

Quote from: cinemanarchist
Quote from: MacGuffin

Ah yes but at Best Buy you got half the dvd...and that's true value.

Quote from: cinemanarchistI bought a copy of the two-disc from Best Buy only to get home and find out that the first disc was missing!

If you get the Circuit City ad and take your receipt back to Best Buy they will refund you 110% the difference. Was just trying to save you money, that's all.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cinemanarchist

I was just messing around with ya...thanks for the advive but I already went to the trouble of returning it to best buy...I'll prob just live with it...but I'll def. check that out next time.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: POZERuh oh. just watched huckabees for the second time since the theater and didn't care for it as much. Must admit it annoyed me quite a bit this time around.
Enjoyed aspects, but forgot what I liked about it during the first viewing. maybe i should go check some old posts.

What are you, mini-mini-mini-Mac?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SHAFTR

Quote from: POZERuh oh. just watched huckabees for the second time since the theater and didn't care for it as much. Must admit it annoyed me quite a bit this time around.

Did you buy the 2 disc?  I'll buy it from you.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

tpfkabi

I saw a sign advertising "I Love Huckabees"
they're such squares.

p.s. i wonder how many times in production meetings DOR had to say, "It's I HEART Huckabees."

analogzombie

Quote from: bigideasat Hasting's only the 2 Disc Edition had a slip cover.

they're hip to the scam
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Pozer

Quote from: SHAFTR

Did you buy the 2 disc?  I'll buy it from you.
I did, but I still want to keep it. Enjoyed the xtras and I don't really hate the movie. just don't find it rewatchable I suppose. and it makes me tired. and it gets on my nerves quite a bit...no, no. I truly hate it.

meatball

My thoughts after a first viewing is that the film tries and tries hard to be intelligent, to be funny, to be quirky. If it wasn't for some good ensemble acting, this would be another Life Aquatic -- a disappointment.

Gold Trumpet

I really enjoyed this film. I'm not sure how much. I have already watched it twice since it was released Tuesday, but this film struck a chord with me the way Dr. Strangelove did: both seem like they come from the nervous centers of their own society that the characterizations aren't exaggerated, but hyperboles of people and how they are connected with society. There are some drawbacks: the film seemed unable to really tap into that without a ploy set up, thus the "existential detectives". I also felt many times the film wore its intelligence too much on its sleeve. I feel I understand too much after the second viewing with little to gain on a third.

I was also let down by this film the way I was initially let down by Three Kings: the happy ending felt contradictory to the story. The ending does make sense, but I think instead of a resolution, the film should have further dove deeper down into the energy it tapped into to reveal some greater truths. I also could be interpreting what is a personal film of character relation as only a societal film.

It really is an excellent film. It's just this film is the typical film from last year. I find myself liking many parts, but also criticizing some as well. I really only have a few complete great films to claim from last year. Its really sad.