I Heart Huckabees

Started by MacGuffin, February 15, 2004, 10:47:22 PM

Thrindle

Mark Wahlberg made me laugh out loud.  I have always sort of hated him... you know... overrated... Fear...  The Funky Bunch...

But now I've got the respect.
Classic.

SiliasRuby

I really can't wait to see this tomarrow, see what all the hoopla is all about. I love the cast but I've read in the paper that this is a movie you'll either love or hate. Here's hoping I love it....ummm...cheers...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

picolas

it was ok. i liked everyone but Jason Schwartzman who was yelly always but for no reason. if it could only slow a little to let itself expand.. but it didn't. and a lot of the story and ideas and sub plots end up hidden. funny how i saw Spun yesterday and that was the same idea i got from it, only more.. though Schwartzman was good in Spun. anyways.. i could feel it had a lot of great ideas and characters and stories.. but it took them for granted. it assumes you've already seen it once is its problem, pretty much. or it's kind of like seeing your mind remembering this time you saw it, so it leaves out stuff like the plausible development of certain relationships. and it tried to be funny more than it was. i find there's this weird unmentioned culture out there that finds stuff funny just as long as it's something and it's random. this is a good example. there were some laughs Huckabees got in the theatre from these kinds of people. it's not the worst offender, but i thought i'd bring the observation up while i was thinking of it. i think the success of Three Kings inflated O. Russell's dir/wri self to a point where it forgot certain things.

SiliasRuby

Great movie but a little talky. It had some really interesting ideas but I felt it could have used a little more plot but overall great flick, definitely be getting this DVD for the commentary, now THAT should be an interesting one...

My Collection

Alethia

just got back from it, want to see it again, easily going to be on my top ten for this year...made me really happy...

Dtm115300

I agree with Silias. Great movie, alittle talky but i thought it added to the comdey. Could have used alittle more plot but defintely had good ideas. Plus there was some good camera work. I recall one scene with Schwatzman in the car, talking with that women, I can't remeber her name. But I remeber a shot of the car driving up as the camera trucks back. I really liked that. Good movie....go see it.

Sleuth

Quote from: picolasi find there's this weird unmentioned culture out there that finds stuff funny just as long as it's something and it's random.

Oh God, I hate that shit, is that really a fair comparison (no spoilers please)?
I like to hug dogs

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Dtm115300I agree with Silias.
You see that boys and girls? Somebody agrees with me....

My Collection

picolas

Quote from: SleuthOh God, I hate that shit, is that really a fair comparison (no spoilers please)?
naw.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I saw it twice, and both times I left feeling happy.  I love the the whole "Pure Being" thing.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

did anyone else catch the Peter Bradley interview with DOR, Dustin H, and Lily T? they didn't really talk about the film much, they kept getting sidetracked in talk of philosophical things.
Film Comment also has an interview with DOR in the latest issue.
so i've seen the PB interview, read the FC interview, but i haven't seen the freaking movie.....aaaaarrrrgggggghhhhhh
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: Sleuth
Quote from: picolasi find there's this weird unmentioned culture out there that finds stuff funny just as long as it's something and it's random.

Oh God, I hate that shit, is that really a fair comparison (no spoilers please)?
i think that accounts for Family Guy's popularity, and might hav reached overkill with Rejected.. which still sum idiots quote and (FAKE) laugh hysterically over. that reminds me, gotta post that in movies assholes dig.
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: Sleuth

i think that accounts for Family Guy's popularity,

and pretty much everything else that airs on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

by the way, this movie is 10/10
I like to hug dogs

UncleJoey

Quote from: Sleuthand pretty much everything else that airs on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

I definitely agree with you about Adult Swim. I think people enjoy the idea of liking those shows more than the shows themselves.

Or they're just better than me.

As for I Heart Huckabees - fantastic movie. Daring writing, exciting performances, mostly interesting and solid directing. It was really fun to see Dustin Hoffman in a good movie. It's been awhile. Second best movie of the year so far after Eternal Sunshine.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

SHAFTR

Quote from: UncleJoey
Quote from: Sleuthand pretty much everything else that airs on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.

I definitely agree with you about Adult Swim. I think people enjoy the idea of liking those shows more than the shows themselves.

Or they're just better than me.

Although I'm not much of an Adult Swim fan, I'm pretty sure that the people who like them genuinely do enjoy the shows.

I see nothing wrong with the idea of random stuff happening being funny, I think it's funny.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"