Semi-Pro

Started by MacGuffin, August 07, 2006, 09:24:30 PM

MacGuffin

Semi-Pro Recruits Ferrell
From NASCAR to basketball.

Hot on the heels of the box office success of Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, Will Ferrell is reportedly lining up another sports-themed comedy as his next project.

According to ProductionWeekly.com, Ferrell will star in the basketball pic Semi-Pro. Like Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, this story will be set in the 1970s.

Scot Armstrong (Old School) will pen the screenplay. Armstrong is also scripting the sequels to Elf and Old School for Ferrell.

Semi-Pro is said to begin filming this February in Minneapolis.

Ferrell's future plans also include reteaming with his Talladega co-star John C. Reilly for Step Brothers, while his figure skating comedy Blades of Glory is due out March 30.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ferrell going 'Semi-Pro' at New Line
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Will Ferrell is lacing up his high-tops for "Semi-Pro," a basketball comedy from New Line Cinema.

New Line exec Kent Alterman will be stepping down from company duties to make his directorial debut on the picture. Jimmy Miller is producing the film, which will co-star Woody Harrelson.

Written by Scot Armstrong, who worked with Ferrell on "Old School," the fictional story is set in the last year of the now-defunct world of the American Basketball Assn. and follows Jackie Moon, the owner-coach-player of the fictional Flint Michigan Tropics. Moon must lead his team on a desperate attempt to make it to the big leagues.

"I grew up in San Antonio, and I remember when an ABA team from Dallas moved in to become the San Antonio Spurs," Alterman said. "I remember when Scot came in with his pitch, he said, 'How about doing a comedy set in the world in the ABA?' That's all I needed to hear. Will was interested in it, and as we developed it further, it came together for me to direct."

Alterman developed a relationship with Ferrell when the exec oversaw "Elf," one of Ferrell's breakout films. There is a possibility that Alterman might direct its sequel. 

After "Semi-Pro," Alterman will segue into an overall producing deal with the studio.

New Line's Toby Emmerich and Cale Boyter will oversee the project.

"I'm planning on having a very contentious relationship with them," Alterman said when asked how he anticipated working with his colleagues.

"Kent's been a great creative executive," Emmerich said. "He earned Will and Jimmy's trust and respect during 'Elf.' He continues a great tradition of New Line as a breeding ground for great creative talent. This is a perfect way for Kent to pursue his creative goals and for us to stay in business with three tremendous talents."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

hmm, soccer (coaching), racing, skating, basketball.   theres just got to be other funny things to do besides sports.  the same thing happened with adam sandler: golf, football, football.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Teaser Trailer here.

Release Date: February 29th, 2008 (wide)

Starring: Will Ferrell, Woody Harrelson, Andre 'Andre 3000' Benjamin, Jay Phillips, Will Arnett

Directed by: Kent Alterman 

Premise: A former benchwarmer from the NBA returns to his rag-tag team in the American Basketball Association in an attempt to lead them to the big leagues.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

a new sports comedy. AWESOME.
context, context, context.

picolas

i still have my fingers crossed for a new heterosexual romance comedy.

Pubrick

holy shit is the first will ferrel comedy that doesn't have a character's name in the title? (apart from stranger than fiction)

how will i know that it's a zany off the wall comedy with forgettable scenes without a zany off the wall forgettable title???

also this stole/killed the apatow poster look.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on December 07, 2007, 12:13:56 AM
holy shit is the first will ferrel comedy that doesn't have a character's name in the title? (apart from stranger than fiction)

Blades of Glory. 

Unless you think of that more as a Jon Heder film than a Will Ferrell film (I know I do!).
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

no more 70's.  no more sports. 

thanks!

mod
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ravi

Quote from: modage on December 22, 2007, 08:29:58 AM
no more 70's.  no more sports. 

thanks!

Yeah, this looks like it combines the crazy period hair and clothes of Anchorman with the cocky athlete that Ferrell has played in everything else.

pete

and then they put woody harrelson and a black man in a BASKETBALL movie.  BIG SURPRISE!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Can Andrew Benjamin play.............type?

EDIT: Andrew? WTF? I needed to lay off the egg nog last night.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks