the vanishing

Started by sphinx, March 30, 2003, 01:24:04 AM

sphinx

i blindly rented the '88 version simply because it was criterion and i hadn't seen it.

fuck.

wh---fuck.  it's trul----fu--wow.  ending.  details.  everything.

:yabbse-thumbup:

nobody ruin the ending for those ingrates that haven't seen it yet

budgie

{shudder}

Honestly, sphinx, some of us have been on about this for ages

polkablues

Mmm....

Yeah.

(suddenly elevated to a good mood)
My house, my rules, my coffee

sphinx

Quote from: budgie{shudder}

fine.

Honsetly, budgie, I don't really give a damn

lamas

that ending definitely gave me the creeps when i first saw it.  i've never seen the american version but i heard it was horrible.  speaking of criterion thrillers, who thought the foreign version of insomnia was better than nolan's remake?  i thought skarsgaard did a fantastic job and the foreign version just captivated me.

budgie

Quote from: lamasthat ending definitely gave me the creeps when i first saw it.  i've never seen the american version but i heard it was horrible.  

I don't mind the remake. The agenda is different that's all.

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: budgie{shudder}

fine.

Honsetly, budgie, I don't really give a damn

{sigh}

Oh, come and have a cuddle

CollinBullock

My mom actually showed me the orginal version of the vanishing when I was like eight years old.  I had no idea what the fuck was going on, but I thought the ending was horrifying.
Reality is extraordinary.  Unfourtanetly, the best parts don't make good movies - Terry Gilliam

Redlum

I've only ever seen the remake but the final sequence scares the crap out of me.

Unfortunately Ive never seen a film with a worse last line/gag.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cowboykurtis

the original is great. the remake isn't that bad. such a good screenplay -- that ending is truly brilliant.
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

i just saw this today. the music is as haunting as the ending, or maybe it is because of the ending.

Sleuth

I cannot find this movie you speak of
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Yeah, I just watched this last night (thanks to this lovely thread, in which films that we LIKE are actually talked about).

I really liked it... currious to see the American version, seeing as how it's the same director and all.  It's not on Netflix though.

bonanzataz

I grew up on the american version and have always wanted to see the original one. i used to love the american one.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

VoiceOver

The original is a Dutch movie called "Spoorloos" which literally translates as "Without a trace" indeed released in the US by Criterion. The remake is awful and incomprehensible to me that George Sluizer, the director of both versions would stoop to such a travesty of a, in my view, brilliant original. Dutch director Dick Maas did the same by making  "De Lift" ('83) and making a horrendous American version in 2001 called "Down", to be avoided at all cost. The original was a pretty tense thriller, by no means a masterpiece, but still pretty decent and suspenseful at the time. The remake was bad on every level. Wrong way to get some kind of foothold in Hollywood I think.

MacGuffin

Hadn't seen this film since it first came out. But recently got the DVD and watched it tonight. Damn, what a great screenplay. Great characters. The ending was perfect. Although I like the title "The Vanishing", the title used in the trailer, "The Man Who Wanted To Know," works for both men and feels more appropriate.

Taz, does the remake keep this ending?

I miss budgie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks