the vanishing

Started by sphinx, March 30, 2003, 01:24:04 AM

godardian

After a recent Criterion binge, I, too, own the DVD.

But I'm trying to watch them in chronological order. Which puts The Vanishing pretty far off, since I'm just now on The Lady Eve.

I'm really excited to see it now, though. I dunno if I've seen such a unanimous fondness for any other film here.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

The remake was on Bravo tonight, so out of curiousity I watched it to compare. Boy did it miss the mark. I thought it threw away everything that made the original great. The characters were not defined at all and it lacked suspense. It also lost the power of the driving obsession of the boyfriend to know what happened. Jeff Bridges' killer looked too much like a killer. What made the original so unnerving was that he was a family man and looked just like anyone else. Of course, I wasn't expecting them to keep the original ending, but I wanted to see how this version concluded. And, just as suspected, it was a Hollywood ending.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Few Spoilers (no ending spoilers though):

My friend's mom blind bought this (perhaps because she'd seen the remake, I dunno) and it's just crazy amazing how great this was. At first, I thought it was poorly made (I saw the camera crew once every 10 minutes, it was so weird how often they could be spotted in a reflection). But as it kept going, the story got better and better. I love the idea of the main character (it's been a while since I saw it) being completely obsessed with finding her and actually confronting her kidnapper, really damn cool. Such a strange find.
WWPTAD?

SiliasRuby

Saw this tonight, right after 'the unbearbale lightness of being', and was just as disturbing, I think that anything Lynch has put out but Lynch is a different kind of disturbing. But, jeezus, this was a great film. Definitely getting it. Too bad there isn't really any extras.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection