Star Trek

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2006, 11:30:29 AM

MacGuffin

"Star Trek" franchise set for 2008 revival

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - More than three years after the last "Star Trek" movie crashed at the box office, the venerable sci-fi franchise is being revived by the director of the upcoming "Mission: Impossible" sequel, Daily Variety reported in its Friday edition.

The as-yet-untitled "Star Trek" feature, the 11th since 1979, is aiming for a fall 2008 release through Paramount Pictures, the Viacom Inc. unit looking to restore its box-office luster under new management, the trade paper said.

The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

The paper described "Star Trek" as Hollywood's most durable performer after James Bond, spawning 10 features that have grossed more than $1 billion and 726 TV episodes from six series.

The 10th film, "Star Trek: Nemesis," bombed at the box office on its December 2002 release, earning just $43 million in North America. Last year, Viacom-owned broadcast network UPN pulled the plug on the low-rated series "Star Trek: Enterprise" following a four-season run.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i've never been interested (or seen ANYTHING) star trek before, but anything JJ Abrams makes me interested.  this does, however, seem like the sort of thing that will fall through before it sees the light of day (atleast with him as director).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Let the casting speculation begin!

I'm going with

Kirk

and

Spock
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

Quote from: modage on April 21, 2006, 01:34:58 PM
this does, however, seem like the sort of thing that will fall through before it sees the light of day (atleast with him as director).
yeah i think this was debunked by Empire movies.  he's going to be producing a star trek film with an option to direct but nothing is certain.  and no definite storylines or young kirk/spock.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 21, 2006, 11:30:29 AM
The project will be directed by J.J. Abrams, whose Tom Cruise vehicle "Mission: Impossible III" will be released by Paramount on May 5. Abrams, famed for producing the TV shows "Alias" and "Lost," will also help write and produce.
so.. can he do anything not related to television?
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on April 25, 2006, 03:56:52 PM
Quote from: modage on April 21, 2006, 01:34:58 PM
this does, however, seem like the sort of thing that will fall through before it sees the light of day (atleast with him as director).
yeah i think this was debunked by Empire movies.  he's going to be producing a star trek film with an option to direct but nothing is certain.  and no definite storylines or young kirk/spock.

No Berman for Trek XI
And Abrams clarifies prequel buzz.

Variety reported last week that Paramount Pictures had set J.J. Abrams (M:i:III, Lost) to produce and direct the eleventh Star Trek movie, which they claimed would focus on the early days of Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock. But now Abrams tells Empire Online that the report was somewhat inaccurate.

"The whole thing was reported entirely without our cooperation," Abrams revealed. "People learned that I was producing a Star Trek film, that I had an option to direct it, they hear rumours of what the thing was going to be and ran with a story that is not entirely accurate."

Although Abrams refused to reveal specifics about his new plot, it MIGHT not necessarily revolve around Kirk and Spock but would take place during their era. (IGN recently learned that Oscar winner Phillip Seymour Hoffman had expressed his interest to Abrams in playing a ship's doctor.) "Those characters [Kirk and Spock] are so spectacular. I just think that," Abrams said, "they could live again."

Perhaps the biggest thing Paramount has going for it, though, is its complete abandonment of Star Trek's old guard. The announcement of the eleventh Trek film made no mention of Rick Berman, the producer who has exercised control over both the movies and the various TV shows for some 15 years. It has now been confirmed that Berman is not involved with the new movie in any way. Abrams is taking on the same responsibilities that Berman held.

A large portion of Star Trek fans have long held Berman and co-producer Brennan Braga responsible for the ongoing decline of the franchise, demonstrated notably in the failures of Enterprise and Star Trek: Nemesis. Braga finally called it quits last fall, and now Berman has apparently been forcibly retired from Trek. "Rick Berman is not involved in any way," a Paramount representative told Sci Fi Wire, even though Berman has been working with his own people on a Star Trek prequel for several months.

While fan response remains mixed to the idea of a prequel, Trekweb reports that George Takei, who manned the helm on Kirk's Enterprise, is enthusiastic about the prequel. "This is a startling new development for the Star Trek franchise and I am very excited about the news. ... I wonder what Sulu would have been up to in those early days at Starfleet Academy?"

Star Trek XI could be a new beginning for the franchise in both television and films. But is Abrams interested and willing to be the permanent new boss of Trek?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ben Affleck in Trek?

Take a deep breath before you read this one, Trekkies, because it is a doozy. According to an inside tipster who spoke with the folks over at Cinescape, Ben Affleck may be in consideration for a role in the upcoming Trek film -- possibly even the role of Captain Kirk (although rumors still argue over Kirk's existence in a new film). The tipster is currently a crew guy on Gone Baby Gone, Affleck's major motion picture directorial debut, and he was quick to cover his thoughts by saying "this isn't gospel, this isn't even confirmed....it's merely speculation on our behalf, but some pretty SOLID speculation from some solid sources." The word on the street apparently says Ben is in talks to return to the character of Jack Ryan, and after that may be moving into the Trek verse as the lead character -- be it Kirk or elsewise.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Split Infinitive

I loved DS9, and think that each of the series incarnations that I've seen have their merits (I haven't seen a frame of Enterprise, though).  For the most part, the films are more than passable.  I flat-out adore Star Trek II.  As far as space operas go, it does the best job of developing established characters and delivering a fantastic sci-fi thrill ride.  A couple of the other Trek films, such as IV, VI, and First Contact, are also solid, though I suspect they don't hold much appeal outside of Trek fans.  I didn't care much for Insurrection and Nemesis, and I really don't have an opinion on the J.J. Abrams rumors.  All told, I regard Star Trek as the most durable sci-fi screen (big and small) franchise in history in terms of consistent quality.  It's hit-or-miss, but when it hits, it's a bullseye.  Between the best of the films and the best of the shows, it's a thought-provoking, moving epic, and I'm glad that it's still around.
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

Gold Trumpet

I'll even give a nod to the franchise.

The respectability of Star Trek for me is how easily it could have sold out but never did. Considering the original series was initially labeled a flop for lasting only a few seasons, it was rejuvanated years later in 1979 anyway for a feature length film. The answer 'why' was obvious. It was a potential cash cow series following the huge success of Star Wars. Star Trek the Motion Picture, while not a very good movie, was very respectable in that it did not try to be Star Wars. It retained all the dramatic elements of the original series. It was ambitious to be a prophetic odyssey that focused on ambient space visuals and a patient story. There was very little showmanship to the film.

Even more credible, the films following the original never truly veered off the original pathway. Many of them are quite bad but they all are sincere Star Trek movies. The newer ones try to incorporate action and explosions more but they're not too bad. Split is correct on Star Trek II. Not only the very best of the Star Trek movies, but still a great pure movie and the perfect introduction for anyone into the series. Its the only movie of the series I still genuinely like. There is a small exception in First Contact. 

I like that J.J. Abrams is doing this. With Abrams power right now to pick his projects, he truly has to love the series to want to do it. He's also maybe the only filmmaker who can attract more fans to the series. Berman was only doing well in how many explosions he could add per Star Trek movie and not make it feel over the top.

Also, the only grain of respect I have for Quentin Tarantino is that a few years ago EW asked him to pick between Star Trek and Star Wars and he actually chose Star Trek.

MacGuffin

Trek Prequel Staying True
The writers know their mythology.

Film writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci say they are are up to the task of penning the screenplay for Star Trek XI, a prequel film headed up by J.J. Abrams of Lost fame. The duo were interviewed by Creative Screenwriting magazine because of their work on Mission: Impossible 3, but the topic of the new Trek picture was also raised.

As it turns out, Kurtzman and Orci are fans of not only the films and TV series, but also of the myriad Star Trek novels that have added to the Trek canon and mythology. That mythology is something they plan to respect in Trek XI.

"We know the mythology well, and we are fans of the novels that happen between the movies and all that kind of stuff ... and we do know that there is a space [sic] to begin to see a lot of the origins of a lot of the things we know and we're going to start there. We're very mindful of being totally true to the mythology and totally true to what's come there, and in a way try to embrace the fact there's such a rich history to it that this is not a case of trying to come in and be so clever that you're going to reinvent everything. It's a case of coming in and using the stuff you know is great and you know really works and not violating anything that's come before it."

They also suggested that the new film would include both new and familiar characters. Early reports on the movie suggested young Kirk and Spock would be major characters, although that is not officially decided at this point.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Matt Damon being eyed for Captain Kirk?

The Insider claims that Matt Damon is in the running to play the younger incarnation of Captain James T.Kirk in J.J Abrams' new "Star Trek" film.

According to the site, Abrams has even got the blessing of Bill Shatner.

"He really loves the idea [of having Damon play Kirk]", a source says of Abrams, who is producing and directing the new film.

According to the site, Matt Damon was mentioned as a possible young Kirk from the moment the film got the greenlight. Considering the actor does have a relationship with Paramount – he's done "The Rainmaker", "The Talented Mr Ripley", "Saving Private Ryan", and so on, for the troupe- it has a chance of coming off. But, we shall see.

At the moment, the only confirmed cast member for the new "Trek" film is Abrams' film/TV regular, Greg Grunberg ("Alias", "Felicity"), who is believed to be playing an unspecified small role in the movie.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Paramount Plans Trek Rebirth
Abrams hopes to woo new fans.

J.J. Abrams is still mum on details of the Star Trek XI screenplay he's writing with Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci. However, he hopes to produce a story that will please die-hard trekkers while making new fans from among ordinary filmgoers. "We absolutely feel beholden to the fans," the producer of the next Trek film told Variety, "but at the same time, we have to recognize that you can't only go out and make a movie or TV shows for a group of people that live and breathe a show." Abrams intends to make a film that "simultaneously speaks to the people who hold Star Trek close to their heart, and at the same time tell a story that resonates [with everyone]."

Abrams — who has not yet decided if he will direct — feels that balance can be struck through the powerful themes familiar to viewers from previous series and films. "Star Trek to me was always ... a show about purpose, about faith vs. logic, about science vs. emotion, about us vs. them. It was its own world, and yet it was our world.

"[Trek] was always my favorite when it was a little bit scary, when they would deal with beaming something on the ship that was an incredible mystery or there was a clear threat.

"All of these things I loved about the series is what we're working to incorporate into the story for the movie."

Abrams elaborates on this vision in an interview with the latest edition of Cinefantastique magazine:

"The key to doing any of these things correctly is that it has to treat the situation and the characters with the exact respect and integrity that you'd treat any drama, whether it happens to be a comedy or science-fiction. You can't tell the story in a cheap or pandering way, [...] it just doesn't hold water."

Ultimately, Star Trek XI is intended to be not just one more go at some box office profit, but a revival of the entire franchise. Abrams, for his part, is optimistic about Trek's future. "I'm a real fan of Star Trek and I think there is without question life left in that series. I think that the fact that they ran so many series for so long, including an after-the-film series, is sort of remarkable, and I think that this downtime is only good for it."

Paramount is similarly hopeful about reviving Trek. "We talked about Star Trek and turning the biggest franchise in Paramount history [around] for a rebirth," studio president Gail Berman recently told Variety. "[Hiring Abrams]was the natural progression."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Comic-Con 2006: First Star Trek XI Image
It's a one-sheet, Jim, but not as we know it.

This morning, Paramount released the very first image from their upcoming and as yet untitled Star Trek XI film at San Diego Comic-Con 2006. The image is a colorful, sleek treatment of the classic logo and hints at big changes for the popular sci-fi movie series.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Abrams on Lost and Star Trek XI
Source: TV Guide
August 11, 2006

TV Guide caught up with J.J. Abrams, who talked briefly about the third season of "Lost" and Star Trek XI. Here are a few highlights:

TV Guide: What can you tell us about the new season?
Abrams: A lot of the season's already figured out, and it's incredible. The stories are amazing.

TV Guide: C'mon. Give us something.
Abrams: Desmond will definitely be back. He's not dead.

TV Guide: How exciting is it to find yourself in charge of resuscitating the Trek franchise?
Abrams: It's sort of surreal but wonderful. I'm producing and may direct.

TV Guide: It's been reported that the film will focus on Kirk and Spock's early days and include their meeting at Starfleet Academy. You've said that was not entirely accurate. What parts are?
Abrams: I think we have an incredible story, but we've sort of promised each other we wouldn't talk about the specifics yet. But I can say that we're actively working on it, we're in the middle of breaking the story, and it's coming along great. I'd be happy to start sooner than Paramount thinks, but not a moment before it's ready.

aah, he probably will only produce it.  which means i'm back to not interested.

MacGuffin

Star Trek Update: J.J. Abrams Going Boldly Where No Trek Has Gone Before!
Source: iesb.net

Since J.J. Abrams was announced to write and produce the next Star Trek film, fans have been speculating who we will see as the main characters.

Rampant rumors have Kirk and Spock returning to the franchise but what has had some Trek fans up in arms is that William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy will not return to reprise the roles that made Star Trek a household name.

Abrams and company have kept a tight lip and have even gone so far as making a pact between writers and producers not to talk about the new Trek until production starts.

What is known is that we will be seeing Kirk and Spock in their early Starfleet years. The new movie will chronologically take place before The Original Series.

There are quite a bit of problems with this specific storyline since it goes against established Trek mythos from the last 40 years but that's a whole other story.

The interesting development as of late is that the rumors regarding who will play Kirk, they have made it all the way to, well, Kirk himself.

William Shatner, in two recent interviews, mentioned hearing rumors that Matt Damon has signed on to play the role of James T. Kirk in the upcoming film. This could simply be the same rumors that have made it on to the web and every other Trek fansite.

The interesting note about his recent interview with the Toronto Star is that he mentions he would be interested in coming back for the next film.

So is there any chance of that? "Absolutely not," is what we have been told by an unnamed studio source. "This is not just another Trek movie but instead a total reboot, we will see things that are similar to what is known in the Trek Universe but we will not be held to every aspect of the last 40 years. We are going to introduce Star Trek to a whole new generation and many more generations to come. We have total faith that J.J. and company will take Trek to a whole new level. Trek has been going downhill for the last 10 years and if we expect it to be around 20 years from now we will have to take some bold steps that might be controversial at first but we are sure to bring new fans to the dying franchise."

So when asked about the existing fans of Trek and if they would like the direction the new Trek is headed towards I was quickly told that, "Trek fans were not able to keep the last show (Enterprise) on the air and we are looking on bringing over "Alias" and "Lost" fans and if the old Trekkies like the new movie great, if not too bad. We have to boldly go were no Star Trek has gone before."

Skeleton FilmWorks