Star Trek

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2006, 11:30:29 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Stefen

What the fuck is that? A pirate with a wooden leg trying to ride a skateboard?

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

as far as boring blockbuster posters go, I like it.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Stefen on March 30, 2009, 02:04:22 PM
What the fuck is that? A pirate with a wooden leg trying to ride a skateboard?

Yes.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

picolas

theplaylist.blogspot.com

J.J. Abrams' Excuse For All The Lens Flares In 'Star Trek,' "The Future Is That Bright"

J.J. Abram's latest project, the "Star Trek" reboot, apparently has Lens Flares in almost every scene. According to Firstshowing, Abrams and cinematographer Daniel Mindel "use them a lot, we're talking about in almost every scene, and multiple times in every scene."

Lens Flares are usually an unwarranted by-product of a source of light off-camera causing a reflection in the shot, but can sometimes be used to enhance the realism of a scene. Abrams contends that they were not a product of sloppy photography but were used to add an incredibly overstated level of drama to the scenes.

"I wanted a visual system that felt unique. I know there are certain shots where even I watch and think, 'Oh that's ridiculous, that was too many.' But I love the idea that the future was so bright it couldn't be contained in the frame." Shits deep, but Abrams didn't stop there, and explained the importance of the flares, claiming them to be "like another actor in the scene. It was this ridiculous, added level of pain in the ass," he said. "[The flares] to me, were a fun additional touch that I think, while overdone, in some places, it feels like the future is that bright."

"Star Trek" opens May 8th, and when you are finding yourself thoroughly annoyed and blinded by the excess light reflecting into the shots, don't focus on the headache you will surely have, but on all the extra drama and shit being added to the scene.

Stefen

lulz.

Style >>> Substance.

I know JJ Abrams kind of sucks and the guys pretty much Mike Bay with better ideas (even though this one isn't even his idea) but this looks cool.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

First of all, this topic needs to be moved to NOW SHOWING.

It was fun and entertaining, but I wish I would have been as excited as all the hardcore fans in the theatre. I know almost nothing about Star Trek so I could not care less when they introduced each character, but anyways it was fun and I think JJ Abrams did an awesome job restarting this and setting it up for multiple installments.

SPOILERS

It was cool that Leonard Nimroy had a much more prominent role than what I thought he would have. Also, I was hoping to see Shatner or other JJ Abrams people (from Lost or other) but did not.

Pas

I think it's the first time that I'm willing to give a chance to a movie I doubt but I'm convinced otherwise BY THE FUCKING ad:

''this is not your father's star trek''

ok thanks I loved my father's star trek so I guess I'll hate this, bye

Ravi

I saw this because I was curious about Abrams' handling of the franchise, though I'm not extremely familiar with Star Trek.  For me, this film was indistinguishable from any other space action adventure film.  It wasn't boring, but I wasn't ever especially captivated by it.

hedwig

Quote from: Pas Rap on May 10, 2009, 01:58:13 AM
I think it's the first time that I'm willing to give a chance to a movie I doubt but I'm convinced otherwise BY THE FUCKING ad:

''this is not your father's star trek''

ok thanks I loved my father's star trek so I guess I'll hate this, bye
WORD. what an insult. WHAT a fucking insult.

but it's true. your father's star trek was NEVER as boring as this movie.

RegularKarate

you guys are weird.

This was super fun.  I had a number of issues with it (everyone seemed to have taken the spirit of their character and made it their own except for Bones, who was just doing a DeForrest Kelly impersonation... the humor was very forced and some of the exposition was really ugly), but overall, this is what I want from a summer movie... this is what I want from a Star Trek movie.

Total funhouse.

Quote from: Hedwig on May 10, 2009, 02:30:46 PM
your father's star trek was NEVER as boring as this movie.

Have you SEEN half the original ST films?
Sure, Kahn and The Whale are a blast, but try sitting through The first one or worse The Final Frontier.

JG

yea i thought it was fun.

brockly

this is the first star trek movie i've seen so i can't compare it to the originals, but i thought this was good. with this and mi:3, i think abrams is a fine director with an exciting style. i just hope he sticks to directing films based on concepts that aren't his own.

also i thought the casting was fantastic (simon pesky fkn pegg withstanding). eric bana and the guy that played spock were especially great.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: brockly on May 11, 2009, 10:32:01 PM
the guy that played spock was especially great.

Zacery Quinto

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection