X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Started by MacGuffin, July 03, 2006, 12:14:28 PM

MacGuffin

'Wolverine' Director, Hugh Jackman Digging Their Claws Into 'X-Men' Spinoff
Gavin Hood says movie, which starts shooting later this year, will focus on character's transformation prior to meeting X-Men.
Source: MTV

BEVERLY HILLS, California — Ask fast-rising director Gavin Hood a question about "Wolverine," the high-profile "X-Men" spinoff that he's currently preparing to shoot, and you might get an answer similar to the one he gave when we asked if Brian Cox would be in the flick.

"Who knows?" he playfully shrugged, referring to the veteran character actor who tormented Hugh Jackman in "X2" and has said he'd like to play the villain again. But the fact is that if one person knows the answers to fans' questions about when and how our adamantium-clawed hero will return, it's the 44-year-old South African filmmaker.

"What I love about Wolverine is his dry, wry humor, and what I also love is the fact that he's a great antihero," Hood said of the big-budget gig he'll use to follow up his Oscar-winning foreign film, "Tsotsi," and this month's Reese Witherspoon drama, "Rendition." "He has a great line where he says, 'I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.' "

Whatever it is that he'll be doing, Jackman and Hood will begin capturing it on camera in just a few weeks. "We start shooting towards the end of the year," the director said of the first spinoff from the hugely successful (and supposedly concluded) "X-Men" film franchise. "I've been talking to Hugh. He's a wonderful guy, a very hardworking guy with a wonderful wit and intelligence and commitment to this character, [as well as] the inner struggle that this character goes through."

As fans of the comics and recent films know, that struggle began when James "Logan" Howlett was grafted with an indestructible skeleton made from adamantium metal, dramatically transforming the gruff mutant. In "X2," Cox's sinister William Stryker was portrayed as a mutant-hater intricately involved in Wolverine's origins. He revealed just before dying that Logan had volunteered for the adamantium add-on and had despised mutants before his amnesia.

"We're doing more of a prequel," Hood said of his plans to portray a time expanding on those early flashbacks, up until when Logan first meets Professor Xavier's crew. "We're going to tell you a little more about Wolverine before he became involved in the X-Men. Even before he got those steel claws."

Although Hood wouldn't confirm or deny Cox's involvement (the actor has said he'd like to employ the same age-reversing techniques used on Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart at the beginning of the third "X-Men" film, "The Last Stand"), Stryker is believed to be a main character in the script. "How much of his violence should [Wolverine] embrace? How much should he set aside?" the director said of the themes he hopes to tackle in the summer 2008 release.

To those who might think Hood is too art-house to take on the big-budget superhero flick, the director said, "As a director who's always been very interested in human drama and human nature, Wolverine appeals to me because it's a character who is constantly engaged in a battle to define who he is. You're dealing with somebody who is engaged in a moral questioning of his own nature. ... It's a grand, operatic debate about human existence over who we are.

"I think the 'X-Men' [film] series was an extraordinary and brilliant series, but I think we don't want to be seen as 'X-Men 4,' " Hood added, separating his flick (and possible sequels) from the blueprints laid out by Bryan Singer and Brett Ratner. "We want to be seen as 'Wolverine 1,' and hopefully there will be a series of the 'Wolverine' story."

After the release of "Rendition," Hood will turn his full attention to filming "Wolverine" before the impending Hollywood strike and getting it into theaters in a relatively brief amount of time. "We want to see it in and of itself as a new way of conceiving [Wolverine], and bringing you his world, as opposed to the world of the X-Men," Hood concluded. "[The script's theme will be] animal, bestial nature versus our higher nature. And at the same time, it's all wrapped up in an exciting adventure with great visuals."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Wolverine' claws on May '09 date
Liev Schreiber in final talks for 'X-Men' role
Source: Variety

Twentieth Century Fox is sinking its claws into May 1, 2009, for the release of Hugh Jackman starrer "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which director Gavin Hood begins shooting later this year.

"Wolverine" is expected to feature many other mutants -- some new to the film franchise and some from one or more of the three "X-Men" films. Liev Schreiber is reportedly in final talks to take on the role of a younger version of nemesis William Stryker, played by Brian Cox in "X2."

This is the first time a title has been confirmed for the next chapter in the lucrative film franchise, based on the Marvel comic strip.

The first weekend in May, pegged as the first official weekend of summer, has become the most lucrative moviegoing weekend of the year. The date has been profitable for Marvel properties: "X2" debuted in the same frame in 2003, grossing a record-breaking $86 million, and Sony's "Spider-Man 3" grossed a record- breaking $151 million in early May this year.

As of now, the only other film staking out the May 1, 2009, date is Disney's toon "G-Force."

There's been much speculation about the spinoff, which gained speed when the studio finalized deals with Jackman (who reprises the role he played in the three "X-Men" pics), Hood and scribe David Benioff, who penned the script.

Pic explores the claw-wielding character Wolverine's violent and romantic past, and his complex relationship with Victor Creed and the ominous Weapon X program, as well as his encounters with other mutants.

Hood will start shooting in Australia before moving to New Zealand and, later, to New Orleans. Latter location is a clue that the storyline might include New Orleans-based character Gambit, who is able to make objects explode and was a professional thief before joining the X-Men.

Producing are Lauren Shuler Donner and Ralph Winter, producers of the "X-Men" movies, along with Jackman and producing partner John Palermo through their shingle Seed Prods. Marvel's Kevin Feige will exec produce.

Together, the trio of "X-Men" pics have grossed more than $1 billion worldwide. Fox is pursuing another "X-Men" spinoff, based on the character Magneto.

Studio is looking to have a busy summer in 2009. On May 22 of that year, it releases James Cameron's 3-D live-action "Avatar," and, on July 1, "Ice Age 3."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

First look: Prequel gets its claws into Wolverine
Mutant with a mission: Says Hugh Jackman of his X-Men character: "He's a good guy, but not necessarily a nice guy." 
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

As if a guy with temper issues, iron blades for fingernails and a penchant for cage fighting needed it, Wolverine is about to get even surlier.

"I know it seems odd given, you know, the guy is already half animal," says Hugh Jackman, who revives the character in Wolverine, due in theaters May 1, 2009. "But with all the success of the X-Men, you feel the pressure to keep pushing it further."

Jackman, also a producer on the film, says he never expected the story of mutants trying to fit in "to catch on the way it did." (Since the first film hit screens in 2000, the X-Men franchise has taken in more than $1.1 billion worldwide.) "But I became a fan of Wolverine like everyone else. That's why I keep holding on to the character."

Wolverine will be a prequel to the X-Men saga. It will center on the origins of the superhero with animal-like reflexes, an alloy skeletal system and the ability to heal from virtually any wound. He also could use a friend.

"I think one of the reasons the X-Men took off is that it connected in a way nobody saw," Jackman says. "They're mutants with powers. But they're also outcasts for being, and everyone connects with that on some level. And who wouldn't want the power to get back at the people who ostracized you?"

The film will trace Wolverine's past as he discovers the world of mutants and, ultimately, the ominous Weapon X program, which turns people into living weapons.

Jackman is tight-lipped on plot details, though he says the film will hardly be a one-mutant story.

Wolverine's nemesis Sabretooth "is going to play a big part in it. And there will be a good bit of cameos" of new and familiar mutants, he says. "But you can't give too much away, because fans are pretty hard-core. Their expectations go up a level every time you come out with a new film."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Reynolds, will.i.am join 'Wolverine'
Taylor Kitsch to play Gambit in Hood's 'Origins'
Source: Variety

Twentieth Century Fox has added three more superheroes to "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," with Ryan Reynolds set to play Deadpool, "Friday Night Lights" regular Taylor Kitsch to star as Gambit and hip-hop artist will.i.am joining the cast as John Wraith.

Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston and Lynn Collins round out the cast as Victor Creed/Sabretooth, Col. William Stryker and Kayla Silver Fox, respectively.

Hugh Jackman reprises the role of Wolverine in the "X-Men" spinoff that Gavin Hood is lensing in New Zealand, Australia and New Orleans. Pic bows May 1, 2009.

David Benioff penned the script, which would reveal the origins of the Wolverine character and introduce other mutants not yet seen in the "X-Men" franchise.

Marvel has been eyeing the possibility of casting Reynolds as Deadpool, an assassin with self-healing powers, for some time with the idea of spinning off the character into his own film series should the character prove popular among moviegoers.

Fox and Marvel have also long wanted to add the card-throwing character of Gambit to the "X-Men" franchise but could never find a way to give him enough screen time among the many other mutants that have appeared in each film.

Black Eyed Peas frontman will.i.am will play Wraith, a mutant who has the power to teleport, and is another test subject of the Weapon X program that created Wolverine and other mercenaries. It would be his first film role.

Lauren Shuler Donner and Ralph Winter are producing with Jackman and his Seed Prods. producing partner John Palermo. Marvel's Kevin Feige exec produces.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Good for Tim Riggins... hope he nails the part.

polkablues

He's actually a good choice.  I just hope he has a good dialect coach.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Monaghan joins 'Wolverine'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Dominic Monaghan has joined the cast of "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," Fox's "X-Men" spinoff starring Hugh Jackman.

Daniel Henney also is on board the production, which is being directed by Gavin Hood.

"Wolverine," set 17 years before the "X-Men" movies, traces the origins of the popular Marvel Comics mutant superhero also is known as Logan.

Monaghan will play Barnell, a former military ally of Logan with the power to harness energy and electricity. Henney will play Agent Zero, a fellow member of the Weapon X program and an expert tracker with lethal, mutant-enhanced marksman skills.

The cast already includes Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston and Taylor Kitsch, among others.

Production began this month in New Zealand before moving to Australia. A New Orleans shoot also is planned. Fox is releasing the film worldwide May 1, 2009.

David Benioff wrote the screenplay. Lauren Shuler Donner and Ralph Winter are producing, along with Jackman and his Seed Prods. producing partner, John Palermo. Marvel Films' Kevin Feige is executive producing.

Henney is an American expatriate born in South Korea who entered the entertainment world via modeling and rose to fame in Asia with his performance in the South Korean drama "My Name Is Kim Sam-soon." He is repped by WMA.

Monaghan played a hobbit in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and was one of the stars of ABC's "Lost."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

I get a weird impression from this trailer. It reminds me of Shadows of the Empire, when suddenly you're getting strange new toys for Christmas with Star Wars marked all over them, and you're like "Who the fuck is Dash Rendar?" I know the Blob and Deadpool, but only from collectible cards. They seem to be cataloged in my brain as tangential and very 80s.

Hugh Jackman is motherfucking JACKED. His traps look fucking cgi'd. That helicopter shit looked awesome. Finally a slow-motion man flying towards something else worth caring about.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

private witt

I just remembered that somewhere tucked away in my parents house in Lansing Michigan is my copy of Wolverine #1.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks

picolas

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

I'd rather see The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3.

That little boy is going to ruin this movie. Like those little boys in The Road and Where The Wild Things Are.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.