The Break-Up

Started by MacGuffin, February 14, 2006, 08:49:12 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: June 2, 2006

Cast: Vince Vaughn, Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Jon Favreau, Joey Lauren Adams, Ann-Margret, Judy Davis, Peter Billingsley, Justin Long, Vincent D'Onofrio, Cole Hauser, John Michael Higgins

Director: Peyton Reed (Down With Love; Bring It On)

Premise: After Brooke calls it quits with her boyfriend Gary, neither person is willing to move out of the condo they share. Taking the advice of their respective friends and confidants, they both engage in mental warfare designed to force the other person to flee the premises -- until they both realize they might be fighting to keep their relationship alive.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i like everyone involved in this, including Reed who i thought did good job on Down With Love a few years ago but the trailer doesnt do a whole lot for me.  that said i will probably still see the film anyways.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

The trailer's a non-starter, but that's one of the best modern comedy casts I've ever seen assembled.  So even if it's bad, it should still be a little good.
My house, my rules, my coffee

w/o horse

I saw it with a packed house.  The laughs were in the beginning and then it was an hour of feeling awkward.  The ending dragged.  It's hyper modern and the feelings from the movie last while the movie is playing.  You know the kind.

You're acting crazy again Brooke.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

modage

i liked it.  it wasnt perfect, and i cant say i 'had a good time' but a lot of it was so true to fights i've been in you really have to give it credit.  the previews are SO INCREDIBLY misleading, universal really did a great job of hiding what this film is, but luckily i was sort of prepared for what it actually was by a couple of AICN reviews last week.  i can see audiences like tearing up the seats after word gets out this weekend that its a bummer.  the part that most threw me for a loop is that contrary to appearances vince vaughn is really not doing his 'vince vaughn character' here.  here, HE is the straight man (for the most part) while Favreau and a variety of other supporting players get to do the main comedy.  you could see Favreau really relished the reversal and i wish the two of them had more screentime together but the focus in the film really was on the 2 main characters and i can see both of them trying to scale it back in order to make the romance/non work.  i was a little disappointed that the Jon Brion score was about 45 seconds of music they played a few times through the film.  i am really curious as to what the story is there...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

w/o horse

I had forgotten Brion did the score.  Yeah.  Needed more for sure.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

edison

Overall I liked this one, I though the whole cast did a great job with particular kudos to Favreau. I kept cracking up to the moments when Justin Long was on-screen. It was good to see him change his appearance (even if it was a huge stereotype) this time around. What I had trouble with during the movie was the argument right after the dinner scene when it all goes to hell. I couldn't decide as I was watching whether to laugh or just feel sad. I was just very confused while my fiance's brother was literally jumping out of his seat laughing during that whole scene.

I had no idea Brion did the score, and quite frankly I really don't remember any music except for the Old 97's.

Kal

I liked this one too... I thought it was original and the casting was excellent.

If you think about it, it makes worthy every penny to pay these big stars when they deliver. Most of the movie, probably 80% of it, takes place inside their apartment. The fact that they do a great job acting is what makes the movie good and entertaining. I also cracked up when I saw Justin Long for the first time. He usually looks the same in all his roles.

:yabbse-thumbup:

grand theft sparrow

A rom-com starring the #3 tabloid fodder couple at the moment gets a better response than the latest comic book movie to come out?

Now I KNOW the world is ending tomorrow.

Pozer

hackity hack, don't talk back.

SiliasRuby

Every once in a while a romantic movie really blows me away, this year it's the Break up. It really wasn't as much of a comedy which I was really happy about. But I laughed at some pretty negative stuff in the movie, I guess that just shows how bad and sick of a sense of humor I have.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pubrick

Quote from: SiliasRuby on June 10, 2006, 10:36:20 PM
I guess that just shows how bad and sick of a sense of humor I have.
no i think it just shows how you LOVE EVERYTHING YOU SEE.

Mrs K you look AWESOME

that cloud looks AWESOME

my hands look AWESOME
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

It was kinda all over the map on what this film wanted to be. The singing at the dinner table felt it was from a P.J. Hogan movie as a silly comedy. But the drama of fight felt very real and was valid on both the male and female sides; the silence afterwards and the characters thinking and dealing with what just happened was perfect. But from then on the film tries to be a very tame version of The War Of The Roses. The best parts of the film dealt with the relationship; the attempts to reconcile. That's the film I would have liked to have seen, but overall the film wants to be a (non)romantic-comedy instead of a dramedy.

I'd like to hear what the women of xixax have to say of the Aniston character's points and her overall decision.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Thrindle

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 18, 2006, 04:22:22 PMI'd like to hear what the women of xixax have to say of the Aniston character's points and her overall decision.
SPOILER

Psst...  I didn't really like this movie.  I felt cheated because it was advertised to be something that it wasn't.

Inevitably, Aniston's desicion to leave Vaughn was the right one for her character to make.  She needed to go and be for while...  cheers to self discovery and a life well lived.  However, if someone lays it out on the table for you, and makes it clear how much they want it to work... and if you know that you still love them, I think it's your job to stick around.  Maybe that's because I believe that real love isn't always around the corner.  Geniune connection can be hard to find.  So Aniston's desicion to leave... made me think that she was slightly frivolous.
Classic.

pete

I was on the plane last night, moving to San Francisco.  They showed this movie and I didn't feel like putting on my headphones.  Reason being there was this stanford phD dude from Harvard sitting next to me.  He was like, that dude from Good Will Hunting with the hair and the pedigree, but he was pretty nice to me so we had a nice chat.  Somehow we got to talking about crying at inflight movies and he was like "YEAH I DO THAT TOO" and talked about how he cried at Elf on the plane, and I talked about School of Rock.  They showed "Wordplay" first and it was like the most shamelessly NPR movie ever but I still managed to get choked up a few times.  And I knew I wasn't going to have much of a chance once The Breakup came about, so I avoided it by doodling for 2 hours.  It was tough, 'cause it actually looked like a good movie, and people all around were laughing and stuff.  I didn't give in though, and the Stanford dude didn't see me cry.
NOW WE ARE LOVERS!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton