The Break-Up

Started by MacGuffin, February 14, 2006, 08:49:12 PM

A Matter Of Chance

i really didnt think this was that bad.

picolas

i don't understand why the events in this movie were filmed. there was really no justification.

Weak2ndAct

I don't get this movie at all.  It's so confused.  It was as if Vaughn and Co. decided they wanted to do a Bergman movie or something, and this is as far as they could go.  It's so relentlessly depressing-- and the most anti-date movie ever.  Sitting there with my g.f. watching the fight scenes were beyond uncomfortable, especially for when either party has any traits close to the characters.

And such an unusual tone-- basically any scene with Vaughinston was just down and awkward.  When they were apart, then we get the shallow comedy moments-- complete with drastically underused characters.  And am I really supposed to give 2 shits that Vaughn balances the books for Vincent D. at the end (and talk about a wasted perf)?  I was so not into this movie, I wished it would turn into 'Wedding Crashers,' and well, that's crap.     

Pozer

Ghostboy

I really liked this a lot. I thought it was surprisingly well written, and I like how it didn't try at all to cater to the frat pack comedy expectations. As mod pointed out last summer, it rings true to a lot of dialogues I've had (a bit less histrionically, maybe, but it's still pretty accurate). Although I've also had conversations that sounded like something out of The Science Of Sleep, which Mod thought was terribly written, so I'm not sure if my experiences are a good barometer.

©brad

just caught this on hbo, and i thought it was really, really great. very well written, terrific performances, and some wonderful silent moments.  how anyone who has been through a serious break-up cannot sympathize and love this is beyond me. i guess people were expecting something more wedding crasher-esque? definitely one of the most underrated movies of 2006.