Good Night, And Good Luck.

Started by MacGuffin, August 30, 2005, 09:43:32 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: October 7th, 2005 (limited)

Cast: David Strathairn (Edward R. Murrow), George Clooney (Fred Friendly), Robert Downey Jr. (Jimmy Darmondy), Patricia Clarkson (Jenny Darmondy), Jeff Daniels (Ted Church), Tate Donovan (Jesse Zousmer), Ray Wise (Hollenbeck), Frank Langella (William Paley), Alex Borstein (Natalie), Robert John Burke (Charlie Mack), Reed Diamond (John Aaron), Thomas McCarthy (Palmer Williams), Glenn Morshower (Colonel Anderson), Katherine Phillips Moser (Jesse's Wife), Matt Ross (Eddie Scott), Grant Heslov (Don Hewitt)

Director: George Clooney (Confessions of a Dangerous Mind)

Screenwriter: George Clooney & Grant Heslov (feature screenwriting debut for both)

Premise: 'Good Night. And, Good Luck.' takes place during the early days of broadcast journalism in 1950's America. It chronicles the real-life conflict between television newsman Edward R. Murrow and Senator Joseph McCarthy and the House Un-American Activities Committee. With a desire to report the facts and enlighten the public, Murrow, and his dedicated staff - headed by his producer Fred Friendly and Joe Wershba in the CBS newsroom - defy corporate and sponsorship pressures to examine the lies and scaremongering tactics perpetrated by McCarthy during his communist 'witch-hunts'. A very public feud develops when the Senator responds by accusing the anchor of being a communist. In this climate of fear and reprisal, the CBS crew carries on and their tenacity will prove historic and monumental.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

Opening night film at the NY Film Festival.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

this looks really good.  for some reason, unlike most other actors who direct, i take george clooney seriously as a director.  i dont know why.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

I'm looking forward to this as much as anything else coming out this year.  Clooney, based on the one film he's directed so far, has an outstanding sense of visual storytelling, along with the balls to make challenging, original films.  The balls of this guy, I tell ya...

For example: Cutting archival footage of McCarthy into the movie rather than having an actor portray him.  Balls.  Like grapefruits in a sling, this guy's balls.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Looks badass.  

Confessions was directed really well, so I have high hopes for this, too.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

killafilm

I think his good direction starts with his better casting.

Redlum

Hopefully I'll see this on the last night of the london film festival. With Clooneys love of Mike Nichols and Mo downey involved Ive finally got another film to add to my currently unimpressive "cant wait to see it" list.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

RegularKarate

He's a so-so director... let's see how his screenplay works.

modage

Quote from: RegularKarateHe's a so-so director... let's see how his screenplay works.
yeah it's not that i think he is or is going to be a great director (he could be, who knows?) but it's that if i heard you know... liev schrieber i think oh okay an actor directing a movie.  whatever, it could be okay.  but clooney has a credibility with me and i can't put my finger on why.  i literally have a bias against most/all other actors directing but not him.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: modage... clooney has a credibility with me and i can't put my finger on why.  i literally have a bias against most/all other actors directing but not him.
I can tell you why.  He has a history of not being scared to speak his mind and also then putting his money where his mouth is, and he has his name attached to several solid films as a co-producer with Section Eight, along with Soderbergh, such as Far From Heaven, Insomnia, Solaris, and many others.

He is also one of People's sexiest men alive.

These are probably the reasons you feel for him the way you do, and they are good reasons, all.

polkablues

Quote from: modagebut clooney has a credibility with me and i can't put my finger on why.  i literally have a bias against most/all other actors directing but not him.

Well, "Confessions" was way more of a "director" movie than an "actor" one.  It wasn't at all what you'd expect from a career actor's directorial debut.

For example: "Ordinary People".  Great flick, but far more of an "actor" movie than "director".
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

well he got robert elswit as his DP.  that's our boy right there ain't he?
I don't expect to see Clooney excelling or even being the next Clint Eastwood (he just seems too jaded, too west coast to be truly moving) but I think he's smart enough to get the job done and to resemble some kinda entertaining derivative of Coen Bros/ Soderburgh.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mutinyco

This is legitimate.

Like watching Lenny for the first time.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

picolas

every person has the same chance of being a good director including actors. there are way more bad director-directors than good, too.

Fernando

Quote from: petewell he got robert elswit as his DP.  that's our boy right there ain't he?

He also was the DP on Gigli  :shock: