Good Night, And Good Luck.

Started by MacGuffin, August 30, 2005, 09:43:32 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: dropsomesciencehope to god that he stops getting roles so he'll start making more films..... IMO
if he stops getting roles he'll lose his clout. if he loses clout he'll stop getting money to make films. so uh, maybe u should hope the opposite.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

I almost understand the idea of him to stop acting in films. If you really look at his filmography, only 3 of his films really have made money (The Perfect Storm, Ocean's Eleven, Batman and Robin) and he despises one of them. I'm very excited for Good Night, and Good luck. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was very well done. And as much as I want him to direct more, I don't. He's my Marcello Mastronioni. An actor so good looking he allowed for a few roles to peg him as a heart throb and then took roles really to destroy it. Its just with films like The White Night early in his career, Mastronioni showed he could act. George Clooney is getting a late chance to do so. Either way, he's still the truest Hollywood leading man. Clooney being Clooney makes a movie.

RegularKarate

I enjoyed this film... I think Clooney will make a great film one day (or at least a really damn good one).  He needs to get a decent script though.

I thought the point of a movie like this would be to see what we DIDN'T see on television.  It was cool to watch, but I'd like to see some drama instead of some events.

w/o horse

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Quote from: Losing the Horse:My full review:  B+

Glad to have you on this discussion board.

w/o horse

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 27, 2005, 12:51:24 PM
I thought the point of a movie like this would be to see what we DIDN'T see on television.  It was cool to watch, but I'd like to see some drama instead of some events.

I definitely see your point... on the other hand, it's a little refreshing to see a movie that finds its drama in the smallest moments.  This very easily could have become this big, epic polemic, instead of a tight little movie about journalistic integrity.  The former might have been more dramatic, but I was more than happy to see the latter.

Joe McCarthy for Best Supporting Actor.
My house, my rules, my coffee

The Red Vine

"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Pozer

Quote from: polkablues on November 05, 2005, 08:03:03 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on October 27, 2005, 12:51:24 PM

I definitely see your point... on the other hand, it's a little refreshing to see a movie that finds its drama in the smallest moments.  This very easily could have become this big, epic polemic, instead of a tight little movie about journalistic integrity.  The former might have been more dramatic, but I was more than happy to see the latter.

Joe McCarthy for Best Supporting Actor.
:yabbse-thumbup:!

Redlum

I set myself the challenge on page one of this thread of seeing this film at the closing night gala of the london film festival. Things got a little tense in the returns booth but after queuing for nearly two hours I made it with five minutes to spare. Understand that this film wont be out here untill February. Anyway, me and my dad headed out onto the red carpet to the sound of screams of "George!" (coincidentally my name) only to find Mr. Clooney himself two feet away from us signing some autographs for fans.  I tried to play it cool but but my Dad had the courage to approach him in the middle of the carpet as he crossed to the press and shook his hand - to which Clooney was really charming. A sight I will never forget, surreal and exciting whilst at the same time wondering when security would launch at my dad, mistaking him for a fan who'd jumped the barrier.

Although such an experience might tint my appreciation of the film, I really thought it was excellent. A combination of All the Presidents Men and The Insider and the influence of 70's filmmakers particularly Mike Nichols, again.

Strathairn was perfect. Ive always loved him since The River Wild, which I've really got to see again because I'm sure he was amazing in that. My favourite perfomance was from an actor called Ray Wise who played Don Hollenbeck. One of the best shots in the film is a tigh closeup of his face as Patricia Clarkson reads the newspaper reviews. Its painful.

I have only a basic knowledge of the McCarthy era like most but my favourite issue in the film was not the history lesson but the downfall of television (recurring theme). It's something I've always felt pretty strongly about. I have a telelvision but no aerial plugged in. I'm not some kind of purist I just find it possible to cut through the bullshit by purchasing DVDs of the shows I like and honestly prefer listening to radio.

Anyway... A-

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

killafilm

I agree with everything edlum said except the River Wild part.

SHAFTR

Best Film of the Year

Atleast from what I've seen so far, it edges 2046.  I understand the arguments that the film is to short, but I enjoy how concise it is.  No fluff.  Everything Murrow said really moved me.  I have seen the See It Now when they interview the Air Force guy, so I was familiar with the subject material.  The combination of real footage and portrayal is seamless.  All the performances are top notch and Clooney is proving himself to be a very good director.  Is Good Night, and Good Luck mindblowing?  No, but it is still great.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

hedwig

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet, from the "ask the gold trumpet" thread on November 30, 2005, 05:55:28 PM
The closeness the film has to its subject, a dated one, is a good and bad predicament...  The negative is that the closeness does not allow him to convey themes that transcend the period and situation.
the theme of refusing to be silent in the face of injustice is a theme that definitely transcends the period and situation.. remember, "the fault, dear brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves." to me it seemed quite obvious that by having murrow looking directly at the audience during the monologue scene that G-Cloon' intended to emphasize the urgency and relevance of his words. maybe it wasn't as obvious as i thought.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Hedwig on November 30, 2005, 06:53:45 PM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet, from the "ask the gold trumpet" thread on November 30, 2005, 05:55:28 PM
The closeness the film has to its subject, a dated one, is a good and bad predicament...  The negative is that the closeness does not allow him to convey themes that transcend the period and situation.
the theme of refusing to be silent in the face of injustice is a theme that definitely transcends the period and situation.. remember, "the fault, dear brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves." to me it seemed quite obvious that by having murrow looking directly at the audience during the monologue scene that G-Cloon' intended to emphasize the urgency and relevance of his words. maybe it wasn't as obvious as i thought.

Certain elements are meant to transcend, but for me, they never did. The language of the film is so thick not only to the time period, but the direct situation that the film is more of a historical recording than it is a human drama.