Hostel

Started by Ghostboy, May 26, 2005, 02:40:16 PM

Ghostboy

As someone who very much enjoyed 'Cabin Fever,' this sounds like something to look forward to. If this and 'The Devil's Rejects' are good, than it'll be a great year for hardcore horror.

(from Fangoria)

The whole preproduction and first weeks of shooting of writer/director Eli Roth's new movie HOSTEL were shrouded in a secrecy rarely seen even in the horror-movie world. But now that production has wrapped in Prague, Roth has taken time to disclose a bit of valuable information to Fango readers and share a few gruesome, exclusive photos (see more below).

"HOSTEL is about two American friends who go on a backpacking trip to Europe, and they're looking for excitement, girls and drugs and all the stuff that you can't find in America," Roth explains. "Someone tells them that if they want to meet girls, they got to go to Slovakia; he tells them about this hostel where there are tons of beautiful girls who'll have sex with anyone who's a foreigner. So these two guys and their Icelandic friend go to this place, and it turns out to be true; but then the next day [they find themselves] in a whole lot of trouble and we realize there's something really horrible, awful and sick going on there."

Playing the two backpackers are Jay (LADDER 49) Hernandez and Derek (DUMB AND DUMBERER) Richardson, while newcomer Eythor Gudjonsson stars as the Icelander they meet and befriend on the way. The movie also features a cameo by cult director Takashi Miike, whose films have made a strong impression on Roth and greatly inspired him for HOSTEL. "I'd met him when he came to LA for the GOZU DVD," Roth explains, "and I interviewed him with Guillermo del Toro for the DVD. He was so nice, and he's just a tremendous inspiration. Now he's doing a cameo in the film, and I can't believe it!"

The ghastly special FX are the work of KNB, reteaming with Roth from CABIN FEVER, and the director has nothing but praise for the team: "Howard Berger told me we were going to have Kevin Wasner on set, and I'd seen his work on PASSION OF THE CHRIST. Kevin is such a cool guy; he's doing a fantastic job. You can't say enough great things about KNB."

Worldwide distribution rights to HOSTEL have already been picked up by Screen Gems, and Roth hopes for an October release. As for whether fans should expect CABIN FEVER's semi-humorous tone to carry over to HOSTEL, Roth says, "People who loved CABIN FEVER are going to go see HOSTEL and may expect it to be funny or goofy all the way through, and it's not going to be. It's going to start out fun, and then it's going to get really dark and sick, and they may be upset because it's going to be so much more horrific than they thought it would be! And then there are the people who hated CABIN FEVER, and hopefully HOSTEL will win over new fans as well."

More images here and here.

squints

This sounds interesting especially since its something influenced and inspired by Miike
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

MMMM...... god that is fantastic stuff, Eli really has brought much more faith in the Horror genre. A force to be reckoned with, I'm really looking to this.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

cabin fever was okay but a little disappointing.  i rooting for this to be good though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Brazoliange

"The movie also features a cameo by cult director Takashi Miike"

:)

should be a fun summer
Long live the New Flesh

Pubrick

Quote from: aintitcool link from the first post
yep. this will be as good if not better than cabin fever.
under the paving stones.

Brazoliange

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: aintitcool link from the first post
yep. this will be as good if not better than cabin fever.

could just be me but that looks almost exactly like the room in Videodrome
Long live the New Flesh

SiliasRuby

I really like how that woman's face looks in the picture. It's almost as if she wants us to stop staring at her.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

I get the feeling this movie will be to "Cabin Fever" what "Devil's Rejects" was to "House of 1000 Corpses".  Specifically, a chance for the director to show that he's not as bad as his debut movie would have you believe.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

i havent seen either yet but lets hope so.   :yabbse-thumbup:

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: polkabluesI get the feeling this movie will be to "Cabin Fever" what "Devil's Rejects" was to "House of 1000 Corpses".  Specifically, a chance for the director to show that he's not as bad as his debut movie would have you believe.

:yabbse-angry:  :yabbse-angry:  :yabbse-angry:  :yabbse-angry:   cabin fever kicks fuckign asssss...its funny, gory, and sexy....

and hostel looks like the kind of film that would piss on ho1000Kc, and the devils rejects........this will be the greatest horror film, next to the shining and the exorcist..this film will own..

Ghostboy

That poster is hilariously bad.

This movie is already overhyped. However, seeing as how the hype for Cabin Fever didn't detract from me loving it, I expect I'll love this one even more.

sickfins

i think it's clear that a stupid fan created the poster using

and the picture of the chair that everyone's seen, which coincidentally are the only stills released from the movie other than the weird sex one.  i declare it fake

modage

good call.

Source: Fangoria

Update: We've been duped by the fake poster makers again. We just received word that the poster below is a fake. It's not from Eli Roth or anyone at the studio. It's pretty cool but it's fan-made. As soon as we get the real poster, we'll let you know.