The Island

Started by modage, March 18, 2005, 09:42:29 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinInternational Trailer here.

michael clarke duncan is crying again, he has been typecast.
under the paving stones.

picolas

they're both really fun to watch. though that talking scene is really dumb. he clearly threw the bracelet on the real ewan in front of everyone. also, djimon is indifferent/kind of angry at everything. aren't internationals supposed to have less talking?

Alethia

i'll see it because of scarlett and hope that it doesn't bore me to tears or just piss me off like bay's other movies (with the exception of the rock which was pretty damn entertaining).

MacGuffin

New Island Posters

Although it's been overshadowed in the media by major films like Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, The Island looks like it could a good action adventure flick. Directed by Michael Bay (Armageddon), it's set in a totalitarian utopia of the future, where everyone gets along so long as they don't threaten the established order.

Ewan McGregor (the Star Wars prequels, Moulin Rouge) stars as Lincoln Six-Echo, one of society's many citizens who hope to be chosen to visit the Island, a place that is reportedly the last uncontaminated spot on the planet. When Lincoln discovers that everything about his existence is a lie, he must run for his life and escape from his controlled environment to the outside world.

Lincoln doesn't have to make his flight alone, however. He's joined in his efforts by the lovely Jordan Two-Delta, played by Lost in Translation's Scarlett Johansson.

The talented cast of The Island also includes Sean Bean (The Lord of the Rings) as the head of the Institute, Djimon Hounsou (Gladiator) as the head security officer pursuing Lincoln, and Steve Busemi (Armageddon) as Lincoln's friend and mole in the Institute.

With just over two months left before The Island's release, the studio has released two new theatrical posters – one featuring Ewan McGregor, and the other graced with a shot of Johansson.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

nix

I would talk about what fantastic actors I think Scarlett and Ewan are and how it makes me sick that they're in this movie...

...but who'd listen.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

pete

how come no matter how big the budget, michael bay's movies always manage to look like TV?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Raikus

Quote from: MeatballI'm sensing a lot of Logan's Run in this, too.
Right on. I get a "Brave New World" meets "Logan's Run" vibe to this. I'm interested, although it looks a little to "Paycheck" for its own good.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

meatball

w/o horse

http://www.youhavebeenchosen.com/  Exclusive online footage.  Or something.

I saw a super long commercial for The Island, but the best part was when Michael Bay said "I definitely wanted to make it a popcorn movie for the summer [sic]."  Haha.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: petehow come no matter how big the budget, michael bay's movies always manage to look like TV?

I have no idea what you're talking about - regardless of what one thinks about the content and storytelling of Bay's films - he without a doubt shoots abosolutely gorgeous film. I have never seen tv lit and shot this well (anyless you're talking about commericals - which is a different story - most commercial dP are better craftsman than many feature dps working...)
...your excuses are your own...

modage

saw this tonite.  being one of the only bay fans here i was hoping this would be the movie to change peoples minds.  it doesnt.   :(  it is pretty good, but suffers from having everything be predictable.  between the previews giving away too much (ie: everything) and it being a combination of other movies (total recall, running man, probably the 6th day (i havent seen it).... and thats just the schwarzeneggers!), you feel like you're just connecting the dots.  

the first 40 minutes or so are very restrained and its a good setup but once the action kicks in it keeps going pretty much till the finish.  but it's not like i need to give credit for being restrained.  whats the point in restraining michael bay?  its kinda like people saying about how batman is good cause its so realistic.  like, its almost not the point.  anyway.  the PLAN YOUR ESCAPE tagline is a little misleading since the escape itself is clumsy and unplanned (and pretty quick).  

buscemi and clarke duncan were underused.  mcgregor and johannson were good but a strange screen pair (what's the age difference there?)  but atleast the chases were pretty awesome including one on a highway where bay proves he can blow shit up like nobodys business!  he does seem slightly stifled creatively when working in the confines of a pg13 though.  he needs the R to run wild.  overall: C+

winner- TIE: johannson's bodysuit & mcgregor's hair
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02being one of the only bay fans here.
this could be why.. read on:
Quote from: themodernage02he does seem slightly stifled creatively when working in the confines of a pg13 though.  he needs the R to run wild.
Quote from: this articleThe 20-year-old but incredibly sophisticated Johansson was somewhat of a surprise for Bay, especially when it came to her sex scene with McGregor.

"How many times I have had to say [to an actress in her dressing room], 'Come on, come out. You look beautiful,'" he says. "I get the call from the assistant director. 'She needs to see you.' And I'm like, 'Oh, god. Here we go.' I'm ready to do her love scene and she's not going to come out. I knock on the trailer of her door. 'Scarlett?' 'Yes?' 'Can I come in?' The door opens and she goes, 'I'm not [expletive] wearing this bra! This cheap-ass bra! OK? I'm going naked.' And I say, 'Scarlett, you can't go naked. The movie has to be PG-13!'"

As the pressroom erupts in laughter, a blushing Scarlett adds, "Well, nobody wears a bra when they're in bed. Who wakes up wearing a bra? It doesn't happen!"
under the paving stones.

modage

truly, the movie never had a chance.  :(
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

hedwig

Quote from: this articleThe 20-year-old but incredibly sophisticated Johansson was somewhat of a surprise for Bay, especially when it came to her sex scene with McGregor.

"How many times I have had to say [to an actress in her dressing room], 'Come on, come out. You look beautiful,'" he says. "I get the call from the assistant director. 'She needs to see you.' And I'm like, 'Oh, god. Here we go.' I'm ready to do her love scene and she's not going to come out. I knock on the trailer of her door. 'Scarlett?' 'Yes?' 'Can I come in?' The door opens and she goes, 'I'm not [expletive] wearing this bra! This cheap-ass bra! OK? I'm going naked.' And I say, 'Scarlett, you can't go naked. The movie has to be PG-13!'"

As the pressroom erupts in laughter, a blushing Scarlett adds, "Well, nobody wears a bra when they're in bed. Who wakes up wearing a bra? It doesn't happen!"

OH MY GOD